“Wonder riding stable.” 5 of 5 stars

Marquette
4 attraction reviews
“Wonder riding stable.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Horses are well trained. You don't have to have any experience to enjoy riding these horses throughout the state park and town. We are novice riders, having horses of our own when we were children and ride often now .. but Cindy's horses knew exactly where to go. Occasionally you could get them to trot faster, but over all you could practically let them do all the work. They have horses for all people inexperienced to experienced. Either way you will have a wonderful time.

I saw where others said they were unfriendly. We have ridden their horses on more than one occasion and they have always been courteous and friendly. I personally think it was the customer, because I have never seen them not accommodate ones needs. Have fun, and happy trails.

Visited June 2013

Evanston, IL
20 attraction reviews
“An easy ride into the historic atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Mackinac Island bans cars to maintain its historic character. To get around you walk, ride a bike, take a horse-drawn taxi. You can also put yourself right into the historic atmosphere for an hour or two by renting a horse and riding the island.

The horses are appear to be well-cared for, clean, well-fed. The tack is in excellent condition. The staff is good at matching horses to riders. The horses are all well-trained and the staff will match riders to horses. Lots of gentle horses for children and novice riders. I'm experienced so they gave me a responsive -- though still gentle and well-trained -- horse.

You can go on a guided ride with a group, or if you are experienced you can do what I did, which is head out alone with a map of the island trails provided by the stable. Most of the island trails are walk-only, but there are a few stretches designated for cantering, which can be quite fun. An hour is adequate time to ride deep into the woods, circle much of the island and return to the stable. Even if you aren't a great map reader, the horses know the way home.

Visited July 2012
Peoria, Illinois
14 attraction reviews
“We Are Not Cowboys!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Cindy's Riding Stable fixed our non-riding family of four up with very gentle horses and turned us loose. When I asked if a guide was coming with us, we were told, "The horses know the way" - Yes, they do! They rode up the hill to the top of the island and around some trails, then headed back down the hill about an hour later. If we tried to steer them down another path, they would have none of it and simply followed the path they wanted to take. On the way down the hill, my horse, the one in the lead, walked to the side of the road and began eating grass. All the other horses in our group followed. A little girl from the island walking by told me not to let him do that because after he got done eating grass, he would roll. Scared me to death. The little girl helped me get his head up and we were back on the road, heading for the stables. It was a fun experience, but I don't think I'd do it again.

Visited June 2012
Oakton, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Great Views of the Island from horse back, even for novice rider Grandmother!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My granddaughter age 10 and I went to Cindy's Riding Stable last summer and signed up for a trail ride. I had read reviews that said the staff were not friendly, but I did not find that the case. I was polite and friendly, and an older gentleman was very nice to me, including offering a locked cupboard to stow my day pack while I was riding. I really appreciated that, because the day was warm. I am a rank novice and they matched me to an appropriate horse. I asked to go on a group ride with a guide; there were six of us, plus the young woman guide. I enjoyed talking to her and asking questions about life on the island. We rode through back streets, past the Grand Hotel, and then along trails in the park before going back to the town. My granddaughter who is taking riding lessons thoroughly enjoyed the hour, and despite my fears when my horse trotted to catch up, I relaxed and enjoyed it, too. What we grandmothers do for love! I suggest going straight to the stable after getting off the ferry and arranging a ride. We had to wait about 20 minutes, but there are shops and benches on the same street. In the summer it is more pleasant in the morning. You can take the carriage ride in the afternoon--that is what we did. The fee is in line with other trail rides, and they have riding helmets. If you are bringing a grandchild, print out the release form from the website and have the parents sign it. I did not have problems, but just in case..

Visited August 2012
Troy, Michigan
“Fun Ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We really enjoyed seeing the island on horseback. They seem to match horses with people's riding ability. We were glad that there still is a place on the island to rent a saddle horse and hope they stay in business. The fee that they charge for riding is very reasonable considering all the costs associated with feeding and caring for the horses. We own our horses back home, so we understand the costs of caring for horses. We went on a 3.5 hour unguided ride around the island. They only charged us for 3 hours. The guide that lead us out to the trail was very nice and friendly, we even asked him if he wanted to continue riding around with us. We'll definitely rent horses there again and go for an even longer ride next time. There's so many trails and things to see on the island.

Visited October 2012