“wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Sports
Plainwell, Michigan
“wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

third year in a row to ride here. second yr with same horse and guide, I had a race to win.

Visited August 2011

Michigan
41 attraction reviews
“Unfriendly, connected to Jack's Livery, no other options”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

If you want to make money in Mackinac, consider opening a stable to compete with the joined Cindy's and Jack's Stables. We first went to Cindy's and she was so rude and uninterested in taking our money that we just walked away. No idea how she stays in business! So we went on to Jack's, not knowing they were connected. The attitude at Jack's was only slightly better but there are no other places we could find to ride so we rode at Jacks for $40/person/hour. Three different teenage boys helped with the horses, two adults had us fill out forms and took our money. Not one person smiled or made conversation. The young man who was the guide for the trip also had no enthusiam but at least he wasn't rude. The horses were okay and the equipment was fine (which is the only reason I did not give a 'terrible' one star rating). Would prefer to recommend someplace else but these two facilities seem to have the monopoly for now.

Visited September 2011
“I was on mackinac island for a few days...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010 via mobile

I was on mackinac island for a few days and decided to do some horse back riding. Many people I talked to recommended Cindy's Riding Stable. I was not disappointed. The horses have been doing this for a while and you must be firm with them. They can sense when an experienced rider is on them and will try to take advantage of you. I went off on my own trail and had no issues that the last reviewer described. I think that most people think that their 2 lessons a month are good enough. These are typical stable horses and of you let them, they will do what they want. You can't expect them to be push button!! I rode for a couple hours and saw most of the island. I will be coming back here in the future!

“  0 4 Denise P. Chino Hills...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010 via mobile

Denise P.
Chino Hills, CA
9/10/2010
Not surprised at the least from these negative reviews....

Cindy (owner) is the epitome of  being unfriendly, a matter of fact Cindy is rude....she sets the tone amongst her employees as an arrogant owner that frankly can careless if you feel welcomed or not! That can careless if you had a good ride or not!
She never bothered to say "hello" quite the contrary she continued discussing issues regarding her business utilities in front of customers with absolutely no regard of whom may be present.
It's very sad that this woman is so unprofessional, I wish this was not the case, unfortunately it's factual.

Not only is she rude she is also unethical in the sense she gives false information about the behavior of her horses. Big deal when your dealing with horses that swing their heads back & fourth angry that you did not make the left or right turn that they are so robotically accustomed too. Poor horses, they can hardly be blamed for poor care, poor handling & poor judgement calls made by this business owner.

If you are looking to ride freely as we had intended, think twice, these horses are in no way accustom to riding away from their 8 year memorized guided trail. It will turn into a job not at ALL an enjoyable ride.

Heads up ....she also owns Jacks :( only 2 riding stables on the island.

*NOTE
My husband & I are experienced riders...over 10 yrs of riding, had no bearing on our ride as it did not change the fact that it remained a full time job the entire ride to get these horses to ride away from their everyday trail.

I myself thought the reviews on Trip Advisor could of been over exaggerated or inflated....boy was I wrong!

It's all true!!!

Buffalo, NY
6 attraction reviews
“Never rode a horse before - great experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

I was a little nervous because I'd never rode a horse before but Cindy's made it a great experience and now I'd love to do it again! We requested a guide since we had no experience and I believe our guide's name was Jess? She's an 8th generation island resident so it was really cool to pick her brain about life on the island while we rode around. We got a very brief tutorial about how to turn and stop the horses and we were off! The horses we were given were Mark and Jewel. I was on Jewel and she was a slower walker so every so often she'd realize she was falling behind and would run to catch up with Mark. That certainly made things interesting because I never really knew when she was going to break into a trot! The horses were easy to ride though and we took a nice varied path through streets and wooded paths. It was a great way to experience the island! I would definitely recommend this as a 'Must-do' activity on the island!