“Way overpriced” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bay View of Mackinac Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mackinac Island
Bay View of Mackinac Bed & Breakfast
You added Bay View of Mackinac Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
PO Box 448, Mackinac Island, MI 49757   |
Milford, Michigan
“Way overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Just returned from a four night stay at the Bayview Inn. First let me say that the breakfasts and desserts were heavenly and the kitchen staff were very friendly and professional.
The first night we stayed was actually a last minute thing as we went up to Mackinac a day early than we had planned. We got the "Presidential Suite" for less than the amount that we paid for our next room. It was small but had a private staircase and porch outside and a jaccuzi. Very nice. Then we moved to the room I had booked a month ago. It was insanely small. It was so small that the the ice bucket was constantly in the way. I bruised my hip/butt three times trying to get past the bed foot post and the sink. Two people cannot be walking in the room at the same time. There was no where to put your clothes or toiletries. This for $300 a night?! There was somebody new at the front desk every few hours so nobody in particular was intuned with anybodys situation and one of the girls in particular had no clue about anything (where to get a map of the island, how our luggage would be moved on the second day, etc...)
We had such a great time exploring the island, biking, horseback riding, partying that we will definitely be back but will find someplace else to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
minneapolis, mn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

July 4-6, 2012. Just far enough from the heavier traffic downtown and immediately adjacent to the marina. The location is nice and the front porch is too. HOWEVER, that's about it. Look, it's a 100+ year old house that has been converted into a b&b. The rooms are tiny and the staff seems to have a tough time keeping up with what's happening. The price is far too high for what you get. The breakfast and evening dessert were fine but certainly not worth the extra $100 a night I'd say it cost. Try the new bicycle inn I think it's called right on main street, unless you are not good with it being front and center of the action. it's a brand new place that's built but not quite yet open. Either way, Bay View is not a place I'd stay again. It's way too expensive for what it is so look, well, anywhere else.

Room Tip: This is a chopped up old house. While ALL rooms probably have a water view, I don't think any o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Let me start by saying the location of Bay View is great, but like they say in real estate "location, location, location" and that usually means higher prices. I did not have a complaint about the room (yes it was sort of small, but it's a B&B) other than the fact that two of the three pillows were VERY flat and hard to sleep on. My complaints w/ Bay View start w/ the price. You can find nicer places for cheaper, so look around a little. Also there is no menu for the food they are serving, you can ask someone working in the kitchen if you are there when they are, but it sure would be nice to have a menu posted somewhere. My wife and I were never sure if we wanted to hang around for breakfast, dessert, etc. We ended up eating breakfast only once in the three mornings and only one dessert in the four evenings we were there. Lastly, it is not much of a Bed and Breakfast. It seemed more like a hotel to us. Numerous employees, never the same person working, not very friendly, etc. When we checked in they just told us where the room was, other B&B's we have stayed at walked us to our room, showed us around the inn, etc. Overall just an ok stay, we really only slept here b/c there is a lot to see on the island (and lots of places to eat too!!). If you can get a good room rate, go for it ,b/c the location is great but not much else is worth the higher price of other places. Next time we head to the island we would probably not stay here. Lastly, bike parking at the Inn is very scarce, we ended up parking our bikes at the Marina every night b/c there was no room at the Inn (not that far away, but if that was full it could have been a problem).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
plymouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

June 2, 2012 We always wanted to stay here and it was beautiful--so cozy, quaint, romantic, adorable and with 20 rooms--also very private! The staff was so friendly and helpful over and above! Rose was a sweetheart--cooking a delicious breakfast & creating a scrumptious strawberry shortcake as an evening complimentary dessert. She seemed to be the one the staff called on with any questions. I am guessing that she is the heart of the Inn. (The afternoon cookies and always brewing coffee were also a treat!) Harold was so very helpful with a slight problem with the tv and was also very welcoming! The room and public rooms were spotless and again so pretty. The weather was cold and rainy, but the memory of the Bay View will always be of a warm, friendly, beautiful yellow inn surrounded by flowers, the Lake and the sound of the horse and carriages on the street!

Room Tip: I loved our front corner room. It was very small, but with the drapes open you could see all of the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

What can I say, our one night excursion started out so poor, bad weather and sitting in a couple airports until we could get to Mackinac Island. We flew in a private plane, since my husband is a private pilot. Anyway, we finally get there and we are told the room was a mess up, double booked. I was just so happy to get there and enjoy the island. This is when I realized Bayview is awesome. The staff, especially Rose, were so accomodating. Rose upgraded to suite 1 because of double booking. The suite was gorgeous, so relaxing and inviting. The whirlpool tub was awesome. We enjoyed dinner at Seabisquit Pub and Grill and couple beers. Then went to Douds Mini Mart and bought a bottle of wine and enjoyed our room. I have to say the dessert at night, Sunday night was the lemon cheesecake with carmel sauce and it was the best cheesecake I have ever had. I loved the endless coffee and hot tea. The view from the second level sun deck was very nice, the view of the fort is gorgeous. So the next morning, we had breakfast delivered right to our table, it was a broccolli quiche, cinnamon roll, and fresh fruit. the only bad thing was checking out, it is so inviting here. The smell of fresh baked cookies or muffins as you enter is not a bad touch aither. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Enjoy the home cooked breakfast in the am and the dessert in the evening.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

Bay view is a cute b&b located on the main road and just a few blocks from the ferry. The rooms are small but typical of an old establishment. Service in the breakfast room was very good and the breakfasts, snacks, and desserts were very tasty. The only issue I have is with the room special. The web site says if you stay Sunday night then the next two nights are half price. When I asked about this I was told it didn't apply to this date in May. The web site says May without specifying dates. This is very misleading. When we arrived, we asked for clarification and the staff member said she didn't have an answer but she would ask her boss. If she did she didn't tell us. Please correct your web site information.

• Stayed May 2012
Newport, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I first have to say, my daughters, ages 7 & 10, have never stayed at a bed & breakfast before. Their first experience here at the Bayview was a FANTASTIC one! Our room was really quaint and overlooked the main street of Mackinac. It had a queen bed & a twin bed - the girls thought that the extra twin bed was really cool and they took turns sleeping in it because they both wanted the "special" bed! What makes this place truly amazing and worth returning over and over though, is the staff. They were so good to us and SO good to my daughters - Harold, Rose, Arlene, Angie & Romain truly made us feel like family. They were warm and friendly and helpful, and I could go on & on, they were just truly the nicest people ever! Our second favorite part of staying here was the FOOD! Oh my goodness was it delicious - the hot breakfasts every morning (peach french toast, cheesy potatoes, fresh fruit) and the homemade desserts every night (the strawberry shortcake and cheesecake were TO DIE FOR!) and the staff, being the warm hearted people they are, heard my girls talking about how much they liked chocolate cake and brownies, made a chocolate cake one night just for them!! This was such a great experience, we loved it here and can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Bay View of Mackinac Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!