“Great Experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Great Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Was a little worried after reading the mixed reviews....but for our family of 5 plus our 60 lb Golden Doodle...we truly enjoy the stay. the rooms are very comfortable and clean...the lack of air conditioning was not a big deal...it was actually a pleasure to feel the nice cool summer breeze. The food at the restaurants were sumptuous...and the help were definitely the best!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sonnet Q, Media Coordinator at Mission Point Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay with Mission Point Resort. We are glad your whole family, including your Golden Doodle, enjoyed their time! Our restaurants are a favorite aspect of many guests. Our Executive Chef Keith Schockling brings over 20 years of fine dining expertise to Mission Point, six years of which he spent as executive chef for Wolfgang Puck's in Orlando, Florida!

Thank you for your kind words, we look forward to serving your family the next time you visit.

With kind regards,
Sonnet Quinn
Mission Point Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Minneapolis MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Having been a guest multiple times to the island at many of the hotel there I have always thought about staying at the resort and had road my bike through their property every trip around the island since the mid 90's I figured this would be as time as any to visit.

From a distance the resort appears to be one of the newest hotels on the island - in my opinion it kind of stands out in contrast to all of the much smaller and older styled homes and properties on the island I believe that this is part of what begins the misconceptions and angry reviews of this property.

The property is a short distance from downtown - solutions: a cab ride ( any will do just yell at a driver going in that direction and they will take you no problem) cost is $4.75 /pp or bring or rent a bike (avg $45 for 24 hours) or walk it if your in the mood, may as well get those legs warmed up anyway

The main hotel lobby is very well kept and quite intriguing to poke around and learn about how it is built. The main complex houses the restaurants bar and the convenience store with the main swimming pool and hot tub immediately next door.

The walk that everyone speaks of to the straits lodge can be a bit of a walk since the lodge is actually several buildings connected. There is two ways to look at this - if you are like me and bring your bikes with you being way on the end puts you closer to downtown by almost 2 blocks making downtown only about 6 blocks away; the other way as others say is that its a bit of a stroll back to the main lodge but it is a nice relaxing walk IMHO. The walk takes you past the gift shop and a few historic buildings on the property and from the main lodge to the very other side takes about 10 minutes by foot. But this is Mackinac Island you should have known before you got here to be prepared to walk - your going to be doing it the whole time your here whats another 10 minutes?

The hotel has added in recent times a unique real grass mini golf course down by the lake side (1 long city block from most of the hotels main areas) as well as a nice little restaurant and bar. The food is quite good and fairly priced and dining on the deck next to the lake in the open air really made this my favorite of all the restaurants. The drinks are expensive (its an island - supply and demand - if you think this is expensive take a trip to Chicago) but the Jamaican bartenders know how to make a pretty darn good drink. Golf is $10 /pp for 18 holes and is a nice relaxing thing to do with friends/wife/gf takes about an hour with 2 people playing.

The straits lodge and accommodations are where I find that the hotel failed to meet my expectations. When the grounds and main areas of the property are kept to such high standards I expected more from the rooms - regardless of the price tag.

The walk down to the straits lodge is relaxing and the entry to the lodge 'is' Mackinac Island - beautiful. The thing that throws you off is that the doors are wide open to the buildings wide main stairs and inviting front sitting area. The carpeting is not terrible but is in need of re-stretching and minor repairs but the main thing is that the long hallways have no character so it just that a reaaaally long hallway to your room.

The rooms are of descent size and the bathrooms are on the small size. You must set your expectations your not staying in Chicago or Miami here your staying in a converted building from the 1800's they had to make things work and have VERY strict building code to adhere to on the island. The linens and decor they have chosen are not old and ratty but chosen from the era that the hotel and island are attempting to immerse you in and were new. (Something my mother would love - me I am more of a Wyndham style guy)

The thing that did kind of irk me in the beginning was the fact that they had not disclosed to me PRIOR TO BOOKING AND ARRIVAL that there would be no air conditioning. Most every hotel on the island has or offers some accommodations that include AC as an option so that you could have it if you wished. That being said yes the include the fans and yes that sucks - at first - to be totally honest after I got over the mental block of the idea I was going to die without the AC (city boy) it was actually a great break from the normal as the temperature dropped and the beautiful lake air cooled off the room to a nice 65 degrees. The room with the fans running during the day kept the room tolerable.

Overall I have no major complaints about the hotel and think that with some updates that are needing to be done this hotel could return as a shining star. Right now I cant say they did anything amazing but also didn't really do anything terrible the hotel is just average. The lack of AC should NOT be the reason to stop you from visiting the property - just come mentally prepared for it ;-)

Room Tip: If you know you are going to be downtown a lot eat there and book at the far end of the hotel. Catch...
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband treated me to a two night stay at Mission Point Resort for our 15th wedding anniversary on Aug. 22nd and 23rd. He purchased the Island Romance package and got a hot tub suite. Our package included the round trip ferry ride, two breaksfasts and one dinner at Chianti, a half day's bike rental, luggage transfer to and from the Resort, a bottle of sparkling wine, cheese plate, and chocolate covered strawberries on the day we arrived. Our suite was in the Straits Lodge. It is a bit of a walk from the Main Lodge. However, for people not in the pique of health, there are benches along the way to stop and sit, which we did. Our first evening we dined at the Roundhouse Bar and Grill that is just off the lobby. The service was great and the food wonderful. We enjoyed our hot tub the first night. It was really great. The deck afforded a lot of privacy and there was a canopy around the hot tub itself to further ensure privacy from windows on the upper floors. There is no air conditioning but our room had ceiling fans and box fans provided. My husband set them up and the room was so sufficiently cooled that at times I was actually cold. Breakfast at Chianti is buffet style and well worth the $14.99/person. For us, it was part of the package. Our second afternoon, we were pleasantly surprised to be the recipient of a bottle of wine and cheese plate delivered to our room by the hotel staff. Just another amenity provided by the resort. This was a great snack to hold us until our 7pm dinner reservation at Chianti.
For dinner that evening at Chianti, I ordered the Grilled Ribeye.This is a $35 dinner, the most expensive on the menu. I can only say that this was the best steak I have had in my life. It was cooked to perfection at medium rare as I had ordered it. It melted in mouth. It was accompanied by roasted potatoes and broccolini. This was a to-die-for meal. With the vouchers from the resort, we could choose either an appetizer/soup and entree combination or and entree and dessert. Both my husband and myself chose the option with dessert. My husband ordered chocolate cake and I ordered Tiramisu. We were in dessert heaven!!
-For those that complain of no airconditioning, we were told by staff members that the resort was adding it and by next year every room would have it. Truthfully, I didn't miss it.
-For those that complain about the decor, I found it rustic looking and very inviting.
-My only suggestion to the resort would be a little more information in the confirmation email of what to expect when reserving a package deal. We didn't know how it would work with the items included in our package. As it turns out, we were given vouchers upon check in. Also, upon arrival late in the day at the dock, it would have been helpful if the Mission Point information booth was still open. We had no idea how to get to the resort without walking, which was not possible due to the items we were carrying. We did eventually find a taxi due to a lady that was also staying at the resort. I was confused on the taxis because they had certain hotel names on them. I later found out that this was just advertising, not the hotel's personal transport.
- For families, there is an arcade, pool, hot tub, activity center, theater showing first run movies, a spa, a kids club for smaller children and bike rental all on the property. There is also a gift shop and worship services available.
All in all, this was a really great trip. We enjoyed having time together without our kids. But, are planning on saving up for a return trip to include our kids. We think the resort is well worth every penny we spent.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

This place is expensive...there's no getting around that. $200 a night for the room that's literally the furthest from the main lobby. The grounds are beautiful and the location is very peaceful. It's a bit of a walk from downtown and the docks. We walked into town in the morning then grabbed a taxi back in the evening. I was glad not to be staying downtown as it was very loud and I doubt it would have been easy to sleep.

The room was clean and nicely sized. Beds were comfy. However it's not air conditioned, a fact of which I was not aware. Upon getting to our room on a hot afternoon I was not pleased. I called the desk to see if there was a room available with a/c. I was informed that the entire resort is not air conditioned, but they could bring me a second box fan if I wished. So we put both box fans in the windows and slept with "redneck A/C". In reality, it was very comfortable. The room cooled off nicely and I slept like a rock. The resort has peaceful quality that wouldn't be present if there were hundreds of a/c units humming. Privacy is a little compromised as you have to leave the windows open about all the time, but even on the "first floor" in the Straights Lodge it's raised about half a level so your windows are right at outside eye view.

This place DOES nickel and dime you in a why that I had not expected for a "resort". The baggage transfer fee is $6 per person...a service that had been made to sound "included". Then there is a $19.90/day resort fee, a state tax, and a Mackinaw hotel tax. All told, my $199 room cost us $247.94 per day.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

The staff here was quite nice but the resort is run down. Cleanliness is so important to me and I believe our room was clean. But the bedspread had to be 15 years old, the tvs had no remotes and were small, the bathroom was teeny tiny, the carpet in the halls was buckling, you get the picture. The grounds are lovely and it really could be a spectacular place. The arcade was a nice thing for my son. The pool is small. If we had not paid so much for the room I would not be as bothered by the condition of the place.

Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Every area is pretty much worn down. We were disappointed. The public areas are showing wear and age. For being an island hotel, the decor is very outdated - dark walls, large dark floral prints and out of date room decorations. We have several fake plants in the rooms that look dusty and old. The lack of air conditioning is a big factor and there is no amount of fans that can really assist with the air flow. In order to keep the air moving - you cannot shuts the drapes at night.

Val Therese
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We just stayed two nights in the Patrick Sinclair Suite. Yes the room was big, however when you pay the amount of money we did to stay, you would think they would ensure the room was clean. And its time to make some simple changes. Fix all the broken items, ensure towels aren't grey and threadbaren and give the room a good cleaning. This was definately lacking. The staff were very friendly, very eager to help you. We booked this trip to celebrate our 30th anniversary and it was a big dissappointment for both of us. We tried to make the best of it, however I don't think I will be going back. I do believe with some TLC this could become a fantastic hotel. I understand the hotel is old and was quite prepared for this. Old and broken are two different things. New bedding would be a great idea too. I will say the romance package was exactly what they promised and well worth it. We ate at all the restaurants and they were superb. I would definately go back to enjoy a fantastic meal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mission Point Resort? Share your experiences!