“Our 15th Wedding Anniversary” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   6633 Main St., Mackinac Island, MI 49757   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Mackinac Island
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
“Our 15th Wedding Anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband treated me to a two night stay at Mission Point Resort for our 15th wedding anniversary on Aug. 22nd and 23rd. He purchased the Island Romance package and got a hot tub suite. Our package included the round trip ferry ride, two breaksfasts and one dinner at Chianti, a half day's bike rental, luggage transfer to and from the Resort, a bottle of sparkling wine, cheese plate, and chocolate covered strawberries on the day we arrived. Our suite was in the Straits Lodge. It is a bit of a walk from the Main Lodge. However, for people not in the pique of health, there are benches along the way to stop and sit, which we did. Our first evening we dined at the Roundhouse Bar and Grill that is just off the lobby. The service was great and the food wonderful. We enjoyed our hot tub the first night. It was really great. The deck afforded a lot of privacy and there was a canopy around the hot tub itself to further ensure privacy from windows on the upper floors. There is no air conditioning but our room had ceiling fans and box fans provided. My husband set them up and the room was so sufficiently cooled that at times I was actually cold. Breakfast at Chianti is buffet style and well worth the $14.99/person. For us, it was part of the package. Our second afternoon, we were pleasantly surprised to be the recipient of a bottle of wine and cheese plate delivered to our room by the hotel staff. Just another amenity provided by the resort. This was a great snack to hold us until our 7pm dinner reservation at Chianti.
For dinner that evening at Chianti, I ordered the Grilled Ribeye.This is a $35 dinner, the most expensive on the menu. I can only say that this was the best steak I have had in my life. It was cooked to perfection at medium rare as I had ordered it. It melted in mouth. It was accompanied by roasted potatoes and broccolini. This was a to-die-for meal. With the vouchers from the resort, we could choose either an appetizer/soup and entree combination or and entree and dessert. Both my husband and myself chose the option with dessert. My husband ordered chocolate cake and I ordered Tiramisu. We were in dessert heaven!!
-For those that complain of no airconditioning, we were told by staff members that the resort was adding it and by next year every room would have it. Truthfully, I didn't miss it.
-For those that complain about the decor, I found it rustic looking and very inviting.
-My only suggestion to the resort would be a little more information in the confirmation email of what to expect when reserving a package deal. We didn't know how it would work with the items included in our package. As it turns out, we were given vouchers upon check in. Also, upon arrival late in the day at the dock, it would have been helpful if the Mission Point information booth was still open. We had no idea how to get to the resort without walking, which was not possible due to the items we were carrying. We did eventually find a taxi due to a lady that was also staying at the resort. I was confused on the taxis because they had certain hotel names on them. I later found out that this was just advertising, not the hotel's personal transport.
- For families, there is an arcade, pool, hot tub, activity center, theater showing first run movies, a spa, a kids club for smaller children and bike rental all on the property. There is also a gift shop and worship services available.
All in all, this was a really great trip. We enjoyed having time together without our kids. But, are planning on saving up for a return trip to include our kids. We think the resort is well worth every penny we spent.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

This place is expensive...there's no getting around that. $200 a night for the room that's literally the furthest from the main lobby. The grounds are beautiful and the location is very peaceful. It's a bit of a walk from downtown and the docks. We walked into town in the morning then grabbed a taxi back in the evening. I was glad not to be staying downtown as it was very loud and I doubt it would have been easy to sleep.

The room was clean and nicely sized. Beds were comfy. However it's not air conditioned, a fact of which I was not aware. Upon getting to our room on a hot afternoon I was not pleased. I called the desk to see if there was a room available with a/c. I was informed that the entire resort is not air conditioned, but they could bring me a second box fan if I wished. So we put both box fans in the windows and slept with "redneck A/C". In reality, it was very comfortable. The room cooled off nicely and I slept like a rock. The resort has peaceful quality that wouldn't be present if there were hundreds of a/c units humming. Privacy is a little compromised as you have to leave the windows open about all the time, but even on the "first floor" in the Straights Lodge it's raised about half a level so your windows are right at outside eye view.

This place DOES nickel and dime you in a why that I had not expected for a "resort". The baggage transfer fee is $6 per person...a service that had been made to sound "included". Then there is a $19.90/day resort fee, a state tax, and a Mackinaw hotel tax. All told, my $199 room cost us $247.94 per day.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

The staff here was quite nice but the resort is run down. Cleanliness is so important to me and I believe our room was clean. But the bedspread had to be 15 years old, the tvs had no remotes and were small, the bathroom was teeny tiny, the carpet in the halls was buckling, you get the picture. The grounds are lovely and it really could be a spectacular place. The arcade was a nice thing for my son. The pool is small. If we had not paid so much for the room I would not be as bothered by the condition of the place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Every area is pretty much worn down. We were disappointed. The public areas are showing wear and age. For being an island hotel, the decor is very outdated - dark walls, large dark floral prints and out of date room decorations. We have several fake plants in the rooms that look dusty and old. The lack of air conditioning is a big factor and there is no amount of fans that can really assist with the air flow. In order to keep the air moving - you cannot shuts the drapes at night.

Val Therese
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We just stayed two nights in the Patrick Sinclair Suite. Yes the room was big, however when you pay the amount of money we did to stay, you would think they would ensure the room was clean. And its time to make some simple changes. Fix all the broken items, ensure towels aren't grey and threadbaren and give the room a good cleaning. This was definately lacking. The staff were very friendly, very eager to help you. We booked this trip to celebrate our 30th anniversary and it was a big dissappointment for both of us. We tried to make the best of it, however I don't think I will be going back. I do believe with some TLC this could become a fantastic hotel. I understand the hotel is old and was quite prepared for this. Old and broken are two different things. New bedding would be a great idea too. I will say the romance package was exactly what they promised and well worth it. We ate at all the restaurants and they were superb. I would definately go back to enjoy a fantastic meal.

Sylvan Lake, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had never stayed at Mission Point before and were pleasantly surpised by the accomodations. The family suite we stayed in was very nice. It gave my husband and I the privacy we want while on vacation while still having the kids close and safe. There were two flaws. The TV's were very small and the bathroom was incredibly small. The resort should upgrade to flat-screen TV's. The pool was nice but small and was supposed to be heated but it was not. The water was positively frigid. The staff was extremely accomodating and friendly. We wanted to sit on the Veranda one night and did not make advance reservations so no tables were available. The staff took a table from the banquet facility and made one up for us to use! One morning we wanted pancakes which the buffet did not offer that day and the cook made them special for us. When we wanted more towels, they were delivered in 5 minutes!! The grounds were beautiful and the glow golf was alot of fun!! We will definitley stay there again and would highly reccomend it to our friends and family!!!

Room Tip: Try not to get a room about the hot tub suites. People tend to use the hot tubs late at night and i...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Okemos, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We paid full price, almost $250.00 (with taxes) for one night. Hands down it was the worst room in a nice hotel, that we have ever been offered. Asked for another room, got it, still not a $250.00 room. There was no air conditioning and it was blistering hot. Couldn't leave window open because of noise. How was it the best of times? Wonderful, comfortable chairs on the lawn overlooking the water with music in the background. Beautiful breakfast buffet with omlets, french toast, frest fruit and again a wonderful view of the lake and outdoor seating. Dinner at their outdoor bistro. Wonderful view and music, fun crowd. Menu good but entree very minimal. We ordered salads with our entree, still pretty skimpy. If we were doing it again - share one salad, two entrees and split fries - would have been an adequate serving. I would stay again but i would insist upfront the the room was appropriate. Would also watch for cheaper rates through discount sites.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sonnet Q, Media Coordinator at Mission Point Resort, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our dining and location. Mission Point Resort’s lakefront lawn overlooking beautiful Lake Huron and the straits is a favorite aspect of many guests. We strive to provide an excellent experience to each guest and we find it regrettable that your room did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies. We appreciate your feedback and the issues that you have raised will be reviewed and the appropriate measures taken to rectify them. Guests are always welcome to contact our leadership team directly so we may more fully respond to any issues.

We look forward to serving you the next time you visit beautiful Mackinac Island.

With kind regards,
Sonnet Quinn
Mission Point Resort

Been to Mission Point Resort? Share your experiences!