“Great location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Ludington
Ada
“Great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here this month for the Ludington Art Fair. I picked it for the location, so that we could walk to the beach, the art fair, and downtown. The Inn is ideally located for this. We were in room 212, which faced the water and we did have a beautiful view of the sunset each night. Our room was clean and the carpet was nice. It had two queen beds, and two chairs in room for reading which we appreciated. The decor and electronics are definitely quite outdated. You are clearly paying for the location, not the quality of the room. Breakfast was our biggest issue here. Very very small room with one little table for four and another little table for two. Right outside the room is another table for two. We had a choice of two cereals, a small bagel, toast, donut hole, and yogurt. Many people had to bring their food back to their rooms ( which for us involved going outside, up the stairs, and down the walkway. Certainly adequate, but for the price of the rooms, pretty disappointing. Next time we may try one of the bed and breakfast inns in town and drive to the beach.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have to agree with the travelers who said this inn is dated "grandma's décor." It is a bit pricey, too. The hosts are very nice, and although my room was next to the pool (no view) and felt as if I were in a cubby hole, I was comfortable and slept well. I enjoyed going outside and seeing people sitting in the cool air and enjoying the lake views. I love the area, too.

The website was frustrating though. I couldn't make a reservation online and when I used the recommended email address, I never heard from anyone. I called twice before I got someone on the phone. Making the reservation was not easy.

I'd go there again though. I love the location and the hosts, and I slept great!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Snyder's Shoreline Inn was my family's last overnight stay on our Lake Michigan Circle Tour. I'd overlooked the high price--and some of the less favorable reviews--because of its amazing "Lake Michigan sunset" views. We loved the location. On the day we arrived, my kids played on the playground, climbed up and down the dunes, and took a long walk out to the lighthouse. Since the lake was too cold for the kids, we had a twilight swim in the hotel's outdoor pool--the perfect temperature for a late summer night. We had the small pool and the adjoining jacuzzi all to ourselves! If I were to rate this hotel on location, service, and outdoor amenities, it would easily be a 5. But, then, there's the room. As a young family, we're generally thrifty when it comes to hotels. We've stayed at highway interchange express hotels, state park lodges, and old hotels in historic districts. We're fairly tolerant of small rooms with quaint features, but, given the cost, this crossed the line from quaint into shabby. Our king suite was a small, threadbare space decorated in 1980's "grandma's house colonial" (stencils, doilies, dried flowers, cherubic children, scary dolls!) with matching 1980's technology. There was a window unit air conditioner, an analog alarm clock, and two small cathode ray TVs, one with a VCR. For $100 a night, these would be quaint accommodations that you could post on Instagram. But for $300? You may wonder, as I did, why the high cost of my room was not being used to update the carpeting, bed spreads, TVs, and the overall hotel experience for guests. I would highly recommend that the owners begin a room-by-room reboot--getting the design, technology, and in-room amenities in line with the price and expectations. When that happens, I can imagine guests enjoying the beautiful Lake Michigan sunsets (even in the winter!) from the comfort of their clean, contemporary, and doll-free king suites.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manitowoc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Tom and Sharon are the best hosts and they always do their best to make everyone happy with their room. We had room 208 this year and it was one of the best rooms we've had so far. It had a king bed with a separate living room with pull out couch. The balcony overlooked the lake. We got great pictures of the sunset.

• Stayed August 2013
Troy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Fantastic location right across from the beach of Lake Michigan with great sand beaches and beautiful sunsets. Also a view of the lighthouse. We did not stay on the side of the hotel with the view, but that did not matter as we did not spend much time in the room, but rather exploring the area. The rooms are dated, but very clean, large and comfortable. We had a suite which for some reason was priced the same as a regular room. It was nice to be able to spread out when we needed. There is a pool and hot tub and a basic continental breakfast (we skipped it and went to town for breakfast). The downtown starts about 6-7 blocks away. Not much there except for restaurants. The staff are very friendly and helpful in recommending restaurants and activities in the area. Would definitely return!!

Granger, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We struggled with a rating of Very Good or Average.. Most reviews were pretty accurate... older hotel with enough charm and a location that makes up for some shortcomings..Biggest complaint by far is the price...I guess they are confident enough to get it, but if I am paying over $500 for 2 nights in a place like this, the note pad by the phone will hopefully say 'Four Seasons.' The inn (why is it an 'Inn' under TripAdvisor, btw??) does have a good spot right by the lake and near the lighthouse, and is a convenient drive to the state park. But 1st time visitors should note Luddington is not a classic resort town; it is a small town that happens to be on the lake. If it was aligned with a national chain it might be Best Western or Comfort Inn...noise-machine for an a/c unit, loud refrigerator, and you hear every footstep above you.. breakfast was adequate (cereal, juice, donuts, toast, bagels), and served in a cute, if not tiny, eating area, but would not ever be considered sumptuous by any definition.. pool is protected from lake winds, which did come in handy.. since we were on vacation, we looked past the throw-back small TV, though we all seem to be used to HD TV's everywhere these days...

Romeoville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Snyders Shoreline in has great features! They are a little worn and dated, but they are right on the beach and 5 minutes from downtown. The decore is dated, but if you don't mind staying at your grandma's you will be fine. With lake front viewes and decks and patios facing the lake it's worth booking. The staff is friendly and willing to help. We had to leave early last year due to a family emergency and they were kind enough to credit is our remaining day on a gift certificate. Frankly the ability to sit on the patio and watch a sunset over the lake in front of the lighthouse, and the ability to pop right over to the beach makes it an excellent value. I've booked twice and would book a third time!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Snyder's Shoreline Inn? Share your experiences!