“Worst Guest Service I have ever had” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Detroit/Livonia

You added Hyatt Place Detroit/Livonia to your Saves list
Hyatt Place Detroit/Livonia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19300 Haggerty Road, Livonia, MI 48152 (Formerly "AmeriSuites Detroit / Livonia")   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$20 Food & Bev Credit
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Livonia
Warren, MI
“Worst Guest Service I have ever had”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

I have NEVER been compelled to write a negative review on tripadvisor.....NEVER! I have had some bad experiences in other hotels, but none that match up to the attitude that I recieved when I checked into this hotel. I travel way too much for work and have been to this Hyatt Place and surrounding hotels multiple times. Great hotel, great location, ok breakfast, ok fitness area, horrible service. While I was checking in, the young lady got three calls from guests. Each one of them ending in a sigh and a "leave me alone." Do you think if I had a problem, I would call her? Nope. Not to mention, there was another worker helping four guys all by herself and not saying a word. While I thought the butterfly tattoo on her hand was classy, if I stay here again and see this employee, I'm turning around. I would still recommend tis hotel, but this employee is not a good representative.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

The service was excellent for as busy as the hotel was, there was some cheer-leading Competition, and was full of kids, aside from that, the rooms were clean, comfortable, and modern, which was a great thing to see.

Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Napoleon, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

I stayed in this hotel from Sunday night until Friday AM during a recent training visit for work. I really wanted to give this hotel a 5 star rating but I cannot. I wish there was a 4.5 rating as that is where my rating would fall!

The PROS of this hotel far outweight the CONS. The convenience of this hotel is hard to beat. Also free parking and free internet and just an overall modern feeling that comes from the hotel

PROS:
GREAT location. Haggerty Road has alot of shopping areas and restaurants. I also walked to the movie theatre from the room and the theatre is large and contains an IMAX theatre as well. Hotel has a very modern feel as well. I love the 42 in. plasma tv and all of the local stations are received in HD. A nice touch! Fridge in the room is nice too although never seemed to keep things too cold. Room is a very nice size and also contained a seating area and desk.

Fitness room was nice. It wasn't large, but contains several treadmills and an elliptical machine and each had small TVs attached to them. Pool area looked nice but I did not use it.

CONS:
Bathroom is small. When you close the door...the door clears the toilet by about a half an inch. Very little room to move around. You have to manuever around the toilet to get into the tub. The sink area is outside of the bath itself and is nice with a large mirror.

While the 42 inch TV was nice, the selection of channels was bad. I watched mainly local channels which as mentioned were in HD...so not a big deal. ESPN and ESPN2 were supposed to be included, but ESPN2 never came in. It tried but I assume it was a digital station and the cable was split too many times in the hotel for it to have enough juice to come in. Guide also mentioned HD Net and another HD channel, but both had the same pixelation issue. Weather channel and USA both were analog stations so did come in and the picture quality was tolerable.

My last CON is of no fault of the hotel. I was woke up every morning about 5-5:30am by the beeping a trash or other large truck makes while they are in reverse. One of the days we had a large snowfall...so I think it may have been a snowplow that day, but the other few days...I heard a similar noise coming from the restaurant across the parking lot from the hotel as well as a office complex nearby. I had a room on the front of the hotel facing Haggerty Road, so maybe a room on the BACK side of the hotel may have minimized the noise. Again...this is of no fault to the hotel, but did lead to the lower the 5 star rating!

I got this room for $83 a night (pre-paid rate), and it was WELL worth that. This hotel should fall in the $100-110 a night rate and would be well worth that as well. The CONs I list are really minimal and the PROs far outweigh the cons. Other then my frequent 5-5:30am wake-up calls by the local trucks....the room and hotel was very quiet. The conventience of the hotel is great too and it just has a nice feel to it. Seems upscale without being real upscale and having a snooty feeling! The staff is tremendous too...which makes the stay even better.

I highly recommend the Hyatt Place in Livonia.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Dayton, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

I am a frequent guest at this hotel.
It is a nice efficient hotel. The only downside is the lack of exercise facilities.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

We stayed here for one night as a stopover between the Henry Ford Museum and Frankenmuth. I had not stayed in a Hyatt Place since their changeover from Amerisuites.

I usually don't stay in this chain because of the cost, but we were able to secure a very good AAA price and chose it. Check in was easy but the clerks didn't seem as friendly as others have mentioned and basically went through their spiel and were done with me.

I had requested a room on a high floor, but instead we were put on the second floor across from the maid storage area/laundry room. Since the floor we were one was not that big a deal, I didn't complain...just note that my request was not honored.

The room was very nice. I love the large tv and the tv location...can watch from either the couch or the bed. The plug in area for computers and other items was nice and having the desk next to these was a good idea as well. The mini fridge and sink area was nice also. The closet was in an awkward position to get to and it was small and difficult to use. The two tier vanity is great but the toilet/shower area is small compared to the largeness of the rest of the room. The bed are is also small compared to the overall room and the heater was noisy and we couldn't get it to regulate a decent temperature. The bed was comfortable.

Although the room was fairly clean, my wife did find some candy wrappers under the pillows on the couch and there was some trash left in the trash can.

The hotel has free internet in the rooms and it was fast. The "business center" of this hotel was extremely small and tucked away,almost hidden. Although we didn't use them, the pool area and fitness areas looked nice.

The breakfast was below par. I knew going in that the "free" breakfast items were limited because they have a Starbucks, pastry area and hot breakfast order area where you pay for the items. Limiting the free items is an attempt to encourage you to purchase something. (overpriced if you ask me). I was shocked however at how limited the free selections were. One type of bread, one type of bagel, no jelly and 2 or 3 types of cereals and some cut up fruit was the extent of the free items offered. (along with regular coffee, tea, juice and milk.) Certainly the worst breakfast selection of any of the similar hotel chains (Springhill, Drury, Hampton).

It must just be me, but once again when it was time to leave, I had to wait for an elevator because the maids were using them to haul their carts from floor to floor. (I had a similar incident at another hotel in July). I had to wait for 4 elevators before one was available. I don't understand why the maid carts can't be moved prior to 7:00 a.m. or after 9:30 a.m. when you don't have guests trying to use the elevators to get to the breakfast area or taking their luggage to their cars.

Although I like the layout of the room and the concept of this hotel, there were just too many little things that occured for me to give them a good rating at this time. Perhaps if the price is right and I stay in another Hyatt Place, I might change my mind but for now, I can't reccommend them.

Although I enjoyed the room overall, there was just too many "little things"

White Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

If you've stayed at a Hyatt Place before, you know what to expect - they're pretty much all the same. And that is excellent. 50 inch HDTV flat screen televisions, spectacularly clean, nice couch, amazingly comfortable bed, solid continental breakfast with the option to order hot entrees at a good price.

Check in was fast and easy, of course to be expected at midnight on a Sunday evening - we had a great night rest and the breakfast was delicious and the coffee hot. Can't ask for much more. Got great rate, $39 plus tax for 3 star in Livonia (on Priceline). Came to about $50. Great night's rest for that price - I am consistently impressed with Hyatt Place.

Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

I've stayed at 4 or 5 different Hyatt Places and this one is my least favorite. It has a great location and the staff was fine. On check in we were given the choice of a couple of floors,Took the second floor and the attendant said that he would put me in quiet room away from the elevator, unfortunatly I got room 202 which was next to a staff only room that had some kind of compressers that ran all night. This hotel seemed a little less updated that I was used too. I still like the comcept and will continue to stay at the Hyatt Place if the price is right.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Place Detroit/Livonia? Share your experiences!