“Average hotel - great manager” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Gas Card Package
Ranked #6 of 14 hotels in Livonia
Thornhill, Canada
“Average hotel - great manager”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel is what you would expect. We were there for a kid's hockey tournament and the kids enjoyed it. It was 30 minutes from everywhere we needed to go. The front desk had a lot of attitude, but Katherine (the manager) was terrific in solving some of the problems we encountered

Room Tip: Make sure you do not have a room over the indoor pool unless you like the smell of chlorine
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

380 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Oak Park, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I live about 20 minutes away and we use this hotel when we want to get away from home. We go to the movies that is 5 minutes away and there are great restaurants in the area. We really enjoy the awesome breakfast especially the omelettes. The staff are exceptionally friendly including the front desk, restaurant and omelette chef.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Used to stay here more often but have been finding better bargain and properties. Choose this again because of the rate and made a mistake.
Staff was nice but the room was really really worn. Same issues I had at another Hilton property this week. Worn room, old shower, took hot water forever to come up and to kick it off the water didn't drain from the tub. I had to take a shower with 6 inches of water!!!

Seems to me that the Embassy Suite brand has really gone down hill in the last few years and their older properties just aren't holding up. It's sad because I really like the rooms and the designs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kalamazoo MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We enjoyed this hotel in Jan 2012.
It is very spacious. The happy hour bar is great.
The breakfast was unbeliavable... love the omelette chef.
The conference room usage along with awesome food service.
The ceilings seem to be paper thin, lots of conversations can be heard,
especially during lat night hours.

Will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Palatine, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Our room wasn't ready when we arrived...we were immediately given a complimentary dinner.
After being in the car all day, it was a welcome relief. We especially liked the way the room was laid out for privacy and for silence.

Room Tip: We prefer the upper floors rather than ground.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Our weekend was a busy one. We were not given the room that we requested the first night. However, the front desk staff accommodated us on the second night by moving us to another room. There were a lot of kids running around. The managers reception was not worth attending, very small selection. The rooms were very outdated, with wallpaper borders peeling off the wall. Needs some updating.

Room Tip: rooms on the ends were quieter except in the morning, we overlooked the breakfast area and heard dis...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Riverview, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

When I checked in, there was a 12-15 person line. That's okay, it was busy and three front desk staff members were working diligently to move people along. After 25 minutes standing in line, I made it to Carleton's terminal. He began with the obligatory greetings and looked up my reservation efficiently and politely. When he realized my room was not ready (at 5:00 pm), he told me that "house keeping is still preparing rooms" and "I will need you to stand over there; we will let you know when your room is available." I asked if he had a window when my room might be available (so I could walk away and come back). His attitude quickly devolved and he stared at his monitor (so as to not engage with me) and repeated exactly the same phrase as he did the first time: "house keeping is still preparing rooms. I will need you to stand over there; we will let you know when your room is available," but this time he seemed annoyed by my question. I asked "do think it will be 30 minutes? An hour?" He raised his head and his hand (gesturing to me to move away) "I don't know, I'll let you know" but really aggressively. I, at this point, had stood in line for 25 minutes, been told at 5:00 pm that my room isn't ready and I said to Carleton, "all I want to know is a range of how long you expect." He said, "I can't give you a range." I said "more than an hour; less than an hour?" FINALLY he said "10-15 minutes." I said (in a very condescending tone), "There we go. That's all I you had to say." Carleton's response: "WHATEVER." and he walked back to the office (which had the door leaning against the wall, as it was not attached any longer. NOT a great first impression when you walk in an Embassy Suites). I was the president of my 20-year class reunion and I selected this location and WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED by Barb, the facility, or the staff 3 years ago. It was great!!! But I do not think I will ever return because of Carleton, the detached office door, the various space heaters in the lobby. Looked very low-class. NOT AT ALL what I have come to expect from this, or any Embassy Suites Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Detroit - Livonia/Novi? Share your experiences!