“A solid option in a great location.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia

You added Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17123 Laurel Park Drive N, Livonia, MI 48152   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Livonia
Michigan
“A solid option in a great location.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We ended up staying at this Holiday Inn when we encountered an unfortunate mishap in our reservation with another local hotel brand. We were relocated to this Holiday Inn by the first hotel when they realized they could not honor our confirmed handicap accessible room. We are thankful to the staff at both locations for doing everything they could to make the situation right.

This Holiday Inn location is a little worn around the edges, but the staff does go out out of their way to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The whole hotel really took me back to when we would road trip as a family when I was young. You can smell the "Holidome" as soon as you walk in the door. Happy times at the Holiday Inn. With a little TLC, this location could be quite nice.

One thing to note. The climate control in our room (137) was quite the noisy neighbor. It kept us up most of the night with its hissing, banking, and clunking. In the end, we just turned it off and snuggled a little closer. The other room in our reservation (handicap accessible 117) was perfect for our friend who is in a wheelchair. Bonus, the roll-in shower had its own shower seat so we didn't need to drag hers around town wet.

Room Tip: Some rooms look outside, while others have interior views around the pool. If you value privacy and...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Randall R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear SPGryphon'

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your visit. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the noise may have caused you. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Randall Richmond

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
East Peoria, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The one good point was the staff was very friendly and they gave out free cookies. Those were the only good points. Our room was an inside room with no windows outside. The air conditioner vents were moldy. The ceiling in the bathroom was rusted and our drain was stuck down in the sink. The hotel had music on in the common area and it was rather loud because you could really hear it in the room. There was no info. in the room on the hotel: i.e. pool times, restaurant, etc. We asked for info and received a copied 2 inch by 4 inch paper with restaurant times on it. I didn't even know the bed was a select comfort bed until the day we left when I checked under the bed to see if anything had fallen under it. There were no controls for the bed anywhere. For being a Holiday Inn, I don't think it lived up to the standards of other Holiday Inns.

Room Tip: Get a room with windows to the outside
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Randall R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear LovesDonuts,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

On the morning of my last day, the plumbing overflowed in the bathtub and toilet. It could have been a disaster but I still had a good experience because of the way the staff handled the situation. The front desk sent someone up immediately and they offered me a different room to use for showering, etc. They immediately comped the room and when they found out that my employer had paid for the room also comped me a room personally for a future stay at one of the hotels in their network. I got an e-mail and telephone call from the General Manager and have to say that I would stay again because of their hard work to make me a satisfied customer. A note to the owner, though, would be to invest more in the property, repair or replace the sleep number beds and make sure the plumbing issues are completely resolved.

Dear PhilliesFan097,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. I will be sure to share with our staff your comments about how wonderful they are. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret that we did not live up to your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Thank you again, Staff and Management Team
Bow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I was in town for a business trip, really only needed a place to sleep. Since the event I was attending was hosted at this hotel I decided to stay on-site. I booked far in advance and received a discounted rate. The initial room I was given was a handicapped suite. I'm not handicapped, but didn't think that would be an issue, Upon entering the room all seemed well. The bedding and room seemed to be very clean. The ceiling of the bathroom was very water stained. The sleep number bed on the left was broken requiring me to sleep in the bed near the outside window. During the night when rolling over whenever I would face the middle of the room I was awakened by the overpowering stench of mildew/ stale sour laundry. I don't know if the carpet was wet and not dried properly or what, but it was nasty. I turned on the AC only to find it made a loud banging noise each time it cycled. The staff at the front desk was wonderful and moved me as soon as I identified the issue the following morning. My second room was larger and was not foul smelling. The ceiling tiles in this room were also water stained. I'm not sure why you'd use dropped ceiling tiles in a bathroom, but that seems to be the norm for this hotel. I was very disappointed to see the film of dirt/dust/mildew that was on the ventilation duct near the ceiling. Sadly this room was directly off the pretty atrium with pool area where hotel guests are not respectful of their noise levels.The front desk staff are all very kind, friendly and hospitable, providing tips on where to go for dinner, arranging for a cab and addressing each question or comment with a smile. This staff deserves a building that matches their winning attitude.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms directly off the right side of the pool area if you have to stay here. My best tip is to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Randall R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear 4znuf,

Grandville, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The first room I was assigned was dirty. Stained carpeting, upholstery, lamp shades and sticky substance on the desk. 2nd room was okay, except for the dirty balled up sock next to the door. My third assignment was an upgraded romantic suite. Big space, nice amenities but some things really still need work. The curling wallpaper on the wall divider to separate the toilet from the rest of the room, the black mold looking stuff on the ceiling tiles in the bathroom, the closet looked like something from 50 years ago. My photos demonstrate this stuff pretty well.

The service I received was really pretty excellent. After the second room issue I was upgraded and received a complimentary breakfast coupon. This was a really nice touch.

The hotel was supposed to have free wifi, however, I was unable to get it to work in the work-out facility. The work out room was kinda warm too. I turned on the A/C units when I got in, but the room has a glass wall that doesn't go all the way to the ceiling so it's kinda pointless and the hot air from the pool just fills the room.

The breakfast in the morning was really good.

Dear dornbosj,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. I will be sure to share with our staff your wonderful comments about how great their service was! Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret that we did not live up to your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Thank you again, Staff and Management Team
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Started out fine. Then it got worse when I walked into my newly cleaned room which I had just checked into. My eyes went straight to a bedbug sitting on the pillow of one of my two beds. While looking for more bugs, I found an ant crawling on that same bed. I was disgusted. The staff then informed me that they did have bed bugs a year ago. Two strikes made me mad that the problem had not been fixed. Although my stay was brief, misfortunate, and restless, the managers acted understanding to help me enjoy the rest of my temporary stay. The staff was well equipped; however, I will not come back to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear 123abd,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret that we did not live up to your expectations. Thank you for allowing us to credit your IHG Rewards account with 15,000 points for the inconvenience.

Springfield, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed there for two nights while in town visiting family. I could not have been more pleased! Grace at the front desk was exceptional and took care of my family. My kids really enjoyed the swimming pool. Everything was top notch.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Chris N,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your great experience with us. We appreciate your kind words and will share your comments about Grace with everyone. We hope to see you again soon.

Randall Richmond

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia? Share your experiences!