“Fantastic staff, but so-so rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17123 Laurel Park Drive N, Livonia, MI 48152   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 14 hotels in Livonia
Bow
“Fantastic staff, but so-so rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I was in town for a business trip, really only needed a place to sleep. Since the event I was attending was hosted at this hotel I decided to stay on-site. I booked far in advance and received a discounted rate. The initial room I was given was a handicapped suite. I'm not handicapped, but didn't think that would be an issue, Upon entering the room all seemed well. The bedding and room seemed to be very clean. The ceiling of the bathroom was very water stained. The sleep number bed on the left was broken requiring me to sleep in the bed near the outside window. During the night when rolling over whenever I would face the middle of the room I was awakened by the overpowering stench of mildew/ stale sour laundry. I don't know if the carpet was wet and not dried properly or what, but it was nasty. I turned on the AC only to find it made a loud banging noise each time it cycled. The staff at the front desk was wonderful and moved me as soon as I identified the issue the following morning. My second room was larger and was not foul smelling. The ceiling tiles in this room were also water stained. I'm not sure why you'd use dropped ceiling tiles in a bathroom, but that seems to be the norm for this hotel. I was very disappointed to see the film of dirt/dust/mildew that was on the ventilation duct near the ceiling. Sadly this room was directly off the pretty atrium with pool area where hotel guests are not respectful of their noise levels.The front desk staff are all very kind, friendly and hospitable, providing tips on where to go for dinner, arranging for a cab and addressing each question or comment with a smile. This staff deserves a building that matches their winning attitude.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms directly off the right side of the pool area if you have to stay here. My best tip is to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Randall R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear 4znuf,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. I will be sure to share with our staff your comments about how wonderful they are. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret that we did not live up to your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Thank you again, Staff and Management Team

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Grandville, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The first room I was assigned was dirty. Stained carpeting, upholstery, lamp shades and sticky substance on the desk. 2nd room was okay, except for the dirty balled up sock next to the door. My third assignment was an upgraded romantic suite. Big space, nice amenities but some things really still need work. The curling wallpaper on the wall divider to separate the toilet from the rest of the room, the black mold looking stuff on the ceiling tiles in the bathroom, the closet looked like something from 50 years ago. My photos demonstrate this stuff pretty well.

The service I received was really pretty excellent. After the second room issue I was upgraded and received a complimentary breakfast coupon. This was a really nice touch.

The hotel was supposed to have free wifi, however, I was unable to get it to work in the work-out facility. The work out room was kinda warm too. I turned on the A/C units when I got in, but the room has a glass wall that doesn't go all the way to the ceiling so it's kinda pointless and the hot air from the pool just fills the room.

The breakfast in the morning was really good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear dornbosj,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. I will be sure to share with our staff your wonderful comments about how great their service was! Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret that we did not live up to your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Thank you again, Staff and Management Team
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Started out fine. Then it got worse when I walked into my newly cleaned room which I had just checked into. My eyes went straight to a bedbug sitting on the pillow of one of my two beds. While looking for more bugs, I found an ant crawling on that same bed. I was disgusted. The staff then informed me that they did have bed bugs a year ago. Two strikes made me mad that the problem had not been fixed. Although my stay was brief, misfortunate, and restless, the managers acted understanding to help me enjoy the rest of my temporary stay. The staff was well equipped; however, I will not come back to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear 123abd,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret that we did not live up to your expectations. Thank you for allowing us to credit your IHG Rewards account with 15,000 points for the inconvenience.

Springfield, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed there for two nights while in town visiting family. I could not have been more pleased! Grace at the front desk was exceptional and took care of my family. My kids really enjoyed the swimming pool. Everything was top notch.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Chris N,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your great experience with us. We appreciate your kind words and will share your comments about Grace with everyone. We hope to see you again soon.

michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed here one night. We walked in hoping for a room and they had one and it was a quick and nice easy check in and check out. The room was nice (even bath and body work products) and very large for a standard room. Toured the hotel about 7 years ago for a place for guest to stay after my wedding and after seeing one room then I quickly left and choose another hotel for them. They remodeled since then and everything in the room has been redone which was nice to see. My only complaint it is an open concept in lobby with pool which leads to a lot of noise in room in the morning. Once 8 am hit you could hear kids screaming and having a good time which was a bit bothersome for us since are kids were at grandmas for the night so we were trying to get a nice morning of sleeping in. Other then the noise in the morning it was a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get away from main area of the hotel. Don't know if it is a option but worth asking.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Randall R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear girlfrommichigan'

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your visit. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the noise may have caused you. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

A typical Holiday Inn with comfortably furnished rooms and great amenities, though our room is dated and needs better upkeep and maintenance repair.
- 3 stars overall; 4stars for all other good points.

Our Room is spacious and comfortable, though quite dated. It comes with 2 queen beds, a desk, a cooler, a loung chair/ottoman; though no safe. The hotel also has laundry facility, which we put it to good use.

The hotel has a very attractive attrium with a pool, a fittness room with floor to ceiling glass windows, a spacious lounge & game area, and an inviting breakfast room and bar.

My wife and I had a nice stay here for one night. The front staff was extremely friendly and helpful. As an ambassador member, I was entitled room upgrade. Since they ran out of suites, the nice front staff let us have vouchers for a free full breakfast and for hotel points as compensation.

Suggested areas for improvements:
1. Our standard room was a bit dated.
2. Our door security latch was missing!
3. The ceiling panels above the tub were dirty! The panel for maintenance access was out of place.
4. In the area around the elevator, better room direction signs are needed, to those rooms facing the attrium (through the CLOSED double doors)!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the beautiful attrium! However, if you want quietness, stay away from the attrium.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Randall R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Peterskis3,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for noticing how friendly our staff is and we greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the noise may have caused you.

Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed here for the weekend for the NASCAR races. the hotel was clean in the main area. this rooms need a little refresh, the carpets were damp and the bathroom needed a little repair. Our breakfast each morning was good there. this hotel served its purpose for us. don't expect anything very fancy. Hotel staff was friendly and was a good stay. Sleep number beds are a bonus!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Randall R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Wheelieover,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We appreciate that you find our location to be convenient and your nice comment regarding cleanliness.

However, I would like to offer a sincere apology regarding the damp carpet & dated bathroom. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Randall Richmond

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center Detroit - Livonia? Share your experiences!