“Consistently excellent rooms and service at a reasonable price” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast!
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Livonia
Upper Arlington, Ohio
“Consistently excellent rooms and service at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I travel to the Detroit Metro area on a regular basis. I always stay at a Marriott property, usually at this Courtyard or at the Airport Courtyard, Since I spend a lot of time at The Henry Ford, the Airport Courtyard is more convenient. Since I was in town for the auto show, there is no advantage to the airport location, While I like and recommend both hotels, the service in Livonia is better, especially at the café. The other advantage of the Livonia location is the absence of airport noise.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here over the weekend for the first time in the area. It's basically in the same parking lot, or adjacent to Laurel Park Place Mall. There are a few hotels all right in the immediate area. Even another Marriott. My friend chose this one, she had been there before. We had a first floor 2 queen courtyard. They have sliding glass doors, onto a patio, (or balcony, on the upper floors.) Bathroom is the kind with the sink outside of the toilet and tub room. This is fine, but if you are getting ready in the morning, and want to be quiet while others sleep, there is no door you can shut at the sink, and turn the light on, and do blow dryer and make up and such. Front desk at first was hesitating, like they had no double queen rooms at that time, but after a few calls, she found one that was ready.

Rooms seem clean and up to date, but don't have many "extras" While it did have a mini fridge, it had no microwave, no nice little lotions and potions in the restroom, just basic shampoo and soap. Lots of towels though. Funny little single serve coffee pot, not Keurig kind. Bed was on the soft squishy side, could have used a few more pillows, there were three per bed. Why not four? two for each person? Sheets were a bit scratchy, need more softener.

No free/continental breakfast is included. There is a "bistro" Starbucks, open in the lobby in the morning, ...if you like an $8.00 breakfast sandwich. It also had french toast etc. and the like. Later on I guess it's open for lunch, sandwiches. You pay, and the cook/lady will bring it out to you. There is also a small area next to the front desk, that has snacks, pop, a couple salads, microwave stuff like soups etc, and the microwave is right there, so you heat it up there and not in the room. All in all it was nice, but stuff it didn't have, is the stuff I miss, so I would choose another place next time, simply for the extras that they don't provide. They did have a pool and hot tub, but we didn't use it.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Nancy P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Livonia, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Good morning!

Thank you very much for your review of the Livonia Courtyard and for staying with us. Our guest's comments are very important and valuable to us as we continue on our quest to be a first choice of travelers coming to Livonia. On behalf of myself and my team we appreciate all the positive comments you made and again thank you.

If you do travel to Livonia again we truly wish you would give the Livonia Courtyard another try.

Nancy Pavlice
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There was nothing remarkably good or bad about this Courtyard. It's quite forgettable -- I only stayed there only three nights ago, yet I can't remember much about the room. Prices were around $99/night, which is on par with other Mariott branded hotels in this area. Beds were average.

Some nice things:
+ Our room had a private little sitting area with chairs in the courtyard; would be nice during summer months (note we had a first floor room, so higher floors may not have this feature)
+ Courtyard-facing rooms don't get as much sunlight as the exterior-facing rooms, making it easier to sleep
+ Great location right next to a mall and a number of restaurants; easy on/off I-275
+ Lots of entrances from different sections of the parking lot, so you're never walking too far with luggage
+ Fairly modern renovations, rooms are clean

Needs improvement:
- Other Courtyards I've stayed at have had longer hours on their cafe; I never saw this one open even once during my four-night stay!
- "Convenience market" next to the front desk is pretty sad -- minimal selection compared to what I've seen at other hotels, higher prices than at other hotels

Room Tip: Courtyard-facing rooms don't get as much sunlight as the exterior-facing rooms
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Nancy P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Livonia, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Good afteroon,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Livonia Courtyard; I really appreciate the positive comments you mentioned and for noticing our beautiful renovation.

You mention you were not pleased with the hours in our Bistro Cafe. The Courtyard Bistro is open at 6:30am-9:30am for breakfast and then again at 5:00pm-11:00pm for dinner. We are not opened for lunch.

If you travel to Livonia again it is our hope that you will stay with us again.

Nancy Pavlicelk
General Manage
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Just booked this room to get-away from it all after Christmas. Stayed here because I had Marriott Reward Points to use. Great Stay. The hotel was in a good location, plenty of restaurants and shopping in the area. The hotel was quiet and clean and the staff was excellent. There was not a continental breakfast offered, but I was not phased by that because of all the restaurants that were in the area. May be a issue if traveling with family, and attempting to save money on food. All in all the stay was great, it gave me what I needed and I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Nice hotel- but there are some concerns.

How is it that Marriott thinks it can charge $3 for a bottle of Aquafina water? That is just outrageous to me. They have the smallest glasses in the world in the rooms and do not have vending machines. The only place you can buy water is from the "Market Place" where it is $3. That is more than you pay in an airport.

The hotel is very nice however, the TV's situation is awful. Either the resolution or the channels are awful. In all my life I've never seen channels look so awful. It's like they purposefully made non HD look worse than TV ever looked.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
PAW PAW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2014

We stayed at this property some 20 years ago for a graduation and all of the rooms have been updated and recently remodeled. Very nicely done. Beds were exceptional, soft but firm enough for my bad back. The little breakfast area was a disappointment only because it was a grab and go rather than sit down mainly used by business travelers. Very nice business area with the ability to print boarding passes. Seemed like a lot of pilots were staying here. Overall we would book again.

Room Tip: We liked the main floor with easy outside access to your car.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

My nephew chose this hotel for his wedding block because of its location and has a shuttle. The staff was so helpful especially Marlene. There were no major issues but they treated even the littlest concern like it was their number one priority!! We had about 45 people in our group and they all felt the same. Kevin the Event Coordinator was very helpful.
The rooms with the double beds are spacious and were very clean. The location is right next to a mall which was great for passing the time waiting for the wedding while not having to drive in an unfamiliar area.
There is no continental breakfast included but there is a bistro in the lobby. They do offer a breakfast banquet that they will set up for you and your guests at an extra charge. We chose that option and it was really nice that our family left to fly or drive long distances with a hardy breakfast under their belt! Again the staff were great!
I would recommend this hotel for large groups. While we were there. two hockey sports teams were there too. As calm and efficient as the staff was you would never know that they were that busy.
Thanks Courtyard Marriott.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor can be cold with multiple doors in the hallway.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Livonia Courtyard. I have shared your kind words with our staff working that weekend as positive comments mean a great deal to them.

A wedding is such a special event and on behalf of all of us at the Livonia Courtyard we are very glad we were a small part of it.

We hope you will think of us again when you visit Livonia.

Nancy

Nancy Pavlicek
Livonia Courtyard

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Livonia? Share your experiences!