“quaint little town” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 9 Attractions in Leland
Type: Historic Sites, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: Fishtown Preservation Society is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization devoted to preserving and protecting the historic fishing village of Leland, Michigan. For more information on what we do, who we are, and our mission, please visit our website or check in on Facebook.
South Lyon, Michigan
“quaint little town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Nice restaurants, waterfront activities. Nice beach in town. Shops,lodging.Charter fishing is available at the marina.

Visited August 2012

Cincinnati
“Fishtown...more than just fish!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Fishtown, in Leland, Michigan, is the place to be in the summertime no matter how old you are! It is perfect for all ages and a great place to take the family! Fishtown is a collection of fishing shanties, smokehouses, overhanging docks, and charter boats along the Leland River. Tourists fill the area from all over the US arriving by boat, bike, car, or on foot. No matter what shop, candy store, or sandwich place you go into, everyone is sweet and always in a happy mood! What is very unique about Fishtown, is that it has been around since the 1850’s. As a first time visitor, during the day you can walk around the different shops, grab a sandwich at the Village Cheese Shanty, get some candy at The Dam Candy Store, exploring on your own, or you could jump on the ferry and go for a tour of the North and South Manitou Islands. In the evenings, you can go to local restaurants, Rick’s or The Cove, and sit on the patio and enjoy a nice family dinner, watching the sunset over your shoulder and listening to the sound of the rushing water of the dam. You could even stay in the Falling Waters Lodge, a very nice hotel situated right over the dam in Fishtown. The Fishtown Preservation Society was formed to keep the historic shanties in tact and they offer family friendly fundraisers like picnics, informational tours, and a 5K. If you’re a fish eater, the smell of smoked fish entices you to stop at Carlson’s, the local fishery in Fishtown where you can buy fish caught that day. Fishtown has affected my life in many ways. For the past 10 years it has given me a place to escape to, leaving my worries behind as I build traditions from the sandwich I always buy, the shops I find my special occasion outfits in, to the many sunsets I have watched and photographed with my family and friends. It is a wonderful place and it is worth considering for your next family vacation! Hope to see you there!

Visited July 2012