“Treated Like Family” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 23 hotels in Lansing
Virginia
“Treated Like Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

After a hellish night of turbulent, delayed and cancelled flights, an obligatory, last-minute car rental, lost baggage, and a 6:30 am arrival at the hotel, we were wonderfully taken care of—like family. We were only charged for one night instead of two, and the staff was ready and waiting for us after 4 long wee-hours-of-the-morning driving.
In addition, the room was nice, clean, and very comfortable.
I'm grateful. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

193 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Sturgis, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I was here on business. The hotel was very nice and overall met my need. I agree with the other reviewer that a table lamp with electrical outlets would have been nice. I use a sleep apnea machine and had to search for an outlet. What really won me over was the friendliness of the staff. It seems like customer service is a thing of the past at most places. But not here. Every person I came into contact with was as friendly and helpful as could be. The restaraunt manager went out of his way to make sure we were ok and offered to move us to a different location when a large noisy group was seated near us. Then he gave us free desert for our troubles. What a nice guy! I spoke with the maid, the valet, the front desk staff and the restaraunt staff they all went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. I so appreciate the friendliness, when I'm a stranger in a new place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were attending the Common Ground Festival and this hotel was the perfection location...within easy walking distance to the venue. Our room wasn't ready when we checked in (even though we arrived a half hour after the advertised check-in time), but the staff were very apologetic and provided us with a complimentary drink at the bar while we waited. Allison, the front desk manager, came to get us as soon as our room was ready. Hats off to Allison, the front desk manager, and her staff for great customer service and handling the situation well. Our room was very comfortable and clean and we had a great stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stay here whenever I am in Lansing on business. I've stayed at a couple of other hotels and didn't enjoy any of them. The staff at the other hotels was always friendly, helpful and professional, but I have to say that the Radisson staff beats all of them hands down.

This hotel will win your excellent vote because they actually try to provide customer service in every aspect of their business. I'm not saying they are always perfect at everything they do but they work hard at trying to meet their customer's needs and are always looking for ways to assist. That is what sets this hotel apart from others.

The hotel itself is clean and comfortable. The rooms are spacious with a nice desk area, chair or sofa, sleep comfort bed, stool in the right place, and clean spacious bathrooms. If there is something you need or want, just ask and the staff will try to make it happen. The fitness center and pool meet expectations.

The restaurant overall is just ok. The menu is somewhat limited, some of the foods appear to be frozen food, and the morning coffee is really bad due to the way they prepare it I think. Having said that and in all fairness, I have higher than average expectation with regard to food so you might find the menu meets and possibly exceeds your expectations. I generally avoid breakfast because there isn't much on the menu of interest to me and the coffee is not good. I've found a few items on the dinner menu that I can order in my room if I've had a long day and don't want to go out.

As with any hotel, there is always room for improvement and as good as this hotel is, here are the things I wish were different:

Lights on nightstand with outlets. I often work on the bed rather than the desk area and like the ability to plug in my devices. No outlets on nightstand lamps means I have to switch the desk lamp with the nightstand and wrestle with the plugs behind the mattress.

Sundries store; they have a nice sized room in the lobby that currently has a couple of vending machines. Would enjoy seeing this area replaced with snacks, drinks, frozen treats, etc. instead of vending machines.

I always struggle a bit with valet tipping. The per day parking charge to use the service is $16. That's fairly high so it is challenging to add another $5 or $10 a day to tip the valet. This makes the parking experience (pickup and drop off) somewhat uncomfortable and something that I don't look forward to even though the valets are very friendly, helpful and courteous.

Room Tip: They do have suites and business comfort level rooms. I haven't tried the suite. The business c...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We walked to several nice pubs, walked to a Lugnuts game, heard great street music! Nice experience in a nice town. Would certainly stay here again. Coffee in the lobby is a nice touch. Don't check the map & try to find the gift-store, it's been replaced by 2 lousy vending machines. Other than that, was a great experience.

Room Tip: There were several of us on this business trip. Different floors, different views, all great.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Just checked into this hotel in Lansing. Upon arrival I pulled up to the hotel and was greeted by the Valet. When I asked if there was another parking option he informed me that he would park my car for $16.00 a day. I again asked for another option and he told me that I could park across the street in the parking garage for $10.00 a day. When I asked if I could unload my bags (I have a number of them due to supporting the military this weekend for drill). I was informed that I could not unload my bags, that I was in a Fire Lane (no sign for the Fire Lane, only two-sided that clearly reads, "Valet Parking.") and that I could receive a ticket for parking in the Fire Lane. He informed me that I would need to pull across the street, park in the garage and carry my bags across the walkway. Upon checking in at the desk by the very cold attendant, I was informed that since I did not use the Valet, if I left the parking garage for any reason and returned, there is a $6.00 return fee each time I move my vehicle. To say the least, I am not pleased. The room is very small, no microwave or fridge. Be careful when you leave that you pull hard on the door, I found mine standing open to realize that it sticks. Walking down the hallway I saw two other doors that were partially open, probably due to the same problem. I decided not to move my car and walk around the area looking for restaurants. The only good ones are very expensive (much more than government per diem) so I ended up eating at a sub shop. When returning from dinner on the elevator with another guest and asked him how he was doing and his exact remark, "this place sucks"......have no idea and didn't ask more. My only save is that I'm filling in for a co-worker for the weekend because he was on another trip. Have already emailed him warning him to book a different hotel. Not worth the price, the unfriendly staff, the costly meals, and the small room.....and I still have three more days here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
GMRadissonLansing, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Lansing at the Capitol, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear JRBilly,

I want to personally apologize for the issues that you experienced last night with the Valet parking and your guest room door. We do offer the Valet service as a once a day charge for your stay as a convenience. We can never give an exact charge for the city’s public parking structure due to the nature of them charging by the hour, and it is determined by the time that you are actually parked. I could have a maintenance technician come up, and adjust the door closure immediately.

I was unsuccessful at finding you in our reservations system this morning by your TripAdvisor username. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to make this right for you, and turn your stay around for you the next 2 days. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel 517-267-3446 or ask to speak to the Manager on Duty.

Best Regards,
Bryan Johnson
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

What a wonderful stay we had at this hotel! The room was very clean, with nice comfy king bed, firm couch and plenty of room. In a great location with walkway to where out event was being held. Enjoyed the pool and hot tub for a little bit. Except for the lack of seating by the pool, everything was great there. Did not try the restaurants, but friends who ate there said everything was good. We enjoyed room service for breakfast. The valets, front desk personnel...really everyone at the resort could not have been more helpful or nice. Were able to help with questions with a smile and always helpful. I look forward to staying there for our event next year!

Room Tip: We had a room right off the elevator, close to ice which was convenient!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit with us. Thank you for the wonderful comments. We look forward to hosting you again next year!!

Best Regards,
Bryan Johnson

Been to Radisson Hotel Lansing at the Capitol? Share your experiences!