“The customers are apparently there to serve the bartender, not vice versa” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Brannigan Brothers

Improve this listing
Ranked #112 of 399 Restaurants in Lansing
Cuisines: American, Irish
Lansing, Michigan
“The customers are apparently there to serve the bartender, not vice versa”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

9-25-10
Warning: do not go in there if you are a self-respecting person! Last night, I sat at the bar with a friend and waited for the bartender's attention. After serving my friend, he asked me what I wanted to drink. Because the music was so loud, I pointed to her drink and mouthed "I'll have the same". He came back a couple minutes later with two extra straws and bowed like he had just performed a magic trick. We thought it was some kind of joke so we laughed.

About twenty minutes later, when I still had not received my drink, I tried to get his attention by waving my arms. I asked him about my drink, and he appeared to try to be a good sport about it. His personality is obviously very edgy. I smiled when he yelled at me to tell him to "pour me a f*****g drink!". Then he kept yelling it, over and over, with a crazed look in his eyes, insisting that I tell him that. I was actually getting a little creeped out by it, but I went along and said "pour me a drink!". Then he turned on me, like a Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hide type. He said, "Sometimes it's too loud in here for me to hear what people are saying, but if you want to get an attitude, you can leave!". My friend and I were floored and thought he must be joking. I explained that that was the same reason why I pointed to her drink and said I'll have the same.....because it was too loud for me to yell over the music. He then made a big show of telling the waitresses who were standing at the bar not to give me any drinks. When I walked up to one of them to ask what his name was, she refused to give it to me. I told her I wanted to speak to the owner about his behavior, and she said I couldn't do that but that I could speak to the manager. So I told her that's what I wanted to do and she then said he wasn't there right now.

The bartender then ordered a bouncer to kick me out. When I told my friend that I had to leave she thought I was joking. She then explained to the bouncer that he was joking around and I was just playing along with him. He said "I'm just the middle man" as he escorted me out the door. Unbelievable! And here I was just trying to give them my money!

Their behavior was extremely shady, and they clearly are not accountable for their bad business practices. There had been a middle-aged, olive-skinned man in a business suit standing behind the bar, observing the male bartender for a good 10 minutes before it was my turn to be served. He appeared to be in an oversight position. The bartender made a fool out of himself to impress this man, trying to pour drinks the way they do in movies and looking really clumsy. Even pretending to hump the female bartender at the cash register for show. It was pathetic. Immediately after the man left the bar area, that's when the bartender came over to my friend and I.

Any other business would fire an employee on the spot if they proceeded to drive business away. I guess it's no wonder why they're going out of business....and for the sake of civil decency, I certainly hope they do!

Please, please don't go in there if you don't want to be treated in a degrading manner! I had been there twice before, never going up to the bar myself, and it had seemed at least mediocre....a good enough bar to go out to on the weekends. So don't think that just because you haven't had a bad experience yet that you won't in the future. With this bar's management, it's only a matter of time.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Lansing, Michigan
“***Owner Above State No-Smoking Ban****”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

I was in this bar tonight at appoximately september 21 into the morning of September 22 2010 when at 1:33 am I found I was next to a man who proceeded to smoke. i informed the bartender. a man identifying himself as the owner told me it was okay because the smoker was a friend of his and he could cover the fine. I informed him it was a violation of state law and had my drink taken away by the bartender upon the owner's instruction. Apparently this establishment is above the law. I hope the health department explains otherwise upon my request to have it inspected repeatedly for violations. Don't let me down Michigan. Make this law count. Question or comment's by the real owner or legislature or health department may be directed to my email mattdave2@gmail.com
NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lansing
“Not an Irish Restaurant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

I have serious problems with this place. It's advertised as an Irish Restaurant, yet the menu is heavily mexican and any fried food that you can find elsewhere. They don't have any "real" Irish beers or Irish liquors on site, and specialize in margueritas and other fluffy drinks/shots that cater to the college crowd.

It's basically a college bar searching for an identity, serving up any/all food aimed to please drunk people. Not to say their food is awful, but that when you portray your establishment as an Irish pub and deliver something entirely different, it disappoints on many levels.

Lansing
“Horrible Place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

I have been here multiple times and I have never had a good experience. The food is sub-par and the service is slow. There are plenty of other places to eat nearby, so there is no reason for dealing with this place.

Lansing MI
“No Guinness? You call yourself an "Irish" bar?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

Had you asked me not even six months ago my opinion of Brannigan's, I would have had you eating there every day. The food was great, service (and good looking waitresses) was excellent, and Guinness on tap. After today, I wouldn't even go in for a free shot of Jameson's (ok, for Jameson's I would!)
I was told by the clueless blond with the trendy eyeglasses that they "change their beers on tap everyday". Bullcrap meter going off! You don't swap out Guinness for some inferior Irish stout everyday! I know they have had problems with their taps and that Guinness is pretty strict on how to run the tap. Don't lie to me, say the taps don't work, not that you switched to the other stout because it was "smoother".
I sat there for a couple minutes then got up and left; I love the fish and chips, probably the best deal in town for lunch, but this little encounter left me pissed and unsatisfied...even her attempt to give me a free "taste" of the new stout failed to keep me in the building. Who drinks a shot of stout anyways? At least give me a free beer!
So for me, someone who usually eats there like 3-4 times a month, I give up. Enjoy serving some crappy Guinness knock-off, but I'm not going back til you either admit you can't handle Guinness on tap or figure out the problem.