“ANOTHER GREAT VISIT” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel

You added Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel to your Saves list
Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6820 S Cedar Street US, Lansing, MI 48911 (Formerly Best Western)   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Lansing
Little Rock, Arkansas
“ANOTHER GREAT VISIT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

I have previously reviewed this hotel before, and gave it my highest recommendation. However, I visited this hotel again during mid-November and feel I need to say even more.

My trip was not for pleasure. My mother died and I came from out of state to attend the funeral and be with my father. I arrived somewhere around 1:00 AM. The desk attendent was extremely polite and found me a room at that late hour. Because I was expecting the rest of my family I requested a double queen. Again, the location was perfect, near my parent's house, and just off 96 so I could get where I needed to go without difficulty. The owner, again was the kind of person I want to support in his business venture. He was extremely accomadating, and when he found out that my mother had passed, arranged for a room for my children so that I could have the time alone I needed. While I did not, and would not expect this, it was a welcome relief and gave me the time I needed to be alone; There were times I just could not do my kids justice. The pool and weight room gave my young children something to do while I assisted witht the arrangements. A number of my family members, who I had not seen for many years also came to Lansing and stayed at the Causeway Bay. All were very impressed. '

I recommend this hotel for the traveler, regardless of the reason for the trip; business or pleasure, and thank the owner and the staff for their excellent, caring service. This is my hotel of choice whenever I happen to the Lansing/East Lansing Area.

Room Tip: Any room I have ordered has been great, with refrigerator, microwave, and coffee pot. Television is...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed here over the Thanksgiving holiday. The hotel was very clean, all the the staff were lovely and friendly. The bed was so comfortable and the pillows were a nice bonus because there was a plethora of them! We found our room to be pleasant and the pool area to be relaxing. We did not eat on-site as it was a holiday and we were in town visiting relatives. The owner of the establishment was very nice and offered us a very late check-out! (met him in passing on our way to the pool). I will admit that the outside looks a little scary, however the gardens and hotel amenities make up for it. We especially liked the "no party" policy! There is a Kroger grocery one block from this hotel which was very nice for the late night snack run. :)

Room Tip: We stayed in room 512.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Didn't know anything about this hotel except a few good reviews online. There weren't a lot of choices in Lansing, so this was one of a few options.

The area around the hotel looks kind of shabby. We were driving down what appeared to be an lower income main road, when all of a sudden the hotel popped up on our left. Turns out it was an old Holiday Inn, which didn't delight me at all.

The outside of the hotel looked pretty run down and I told my husband to keep the car running and I'd check the inside out before checking in. When i went in, I could tell it had been renovated, so I gave it a chance.

I asked for a renovated room (they aren't all done yet, so make sure to ask) and it was okay. It was like a bootleg Hampton Inn, in my opinion. It did have a new bed (comfy) and granite countertops. But the shower floor looked decades old, the walls looked like they had 10 coats of paint on them and the hallways were really humid. We did like the tv, the chairs (hard but at least they were new) and the shower head was nice.

I would say if you needed a clean, decent hotel room this is fine. But don't believe the raving reviews you see online.

• Stayed September 2011
CausewayBay, Manager at Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
I have read your review and wanted to respond to your comments. First and foremost I want to apologize for the experience you had at the Causeway Bay Hotel.

You are correct that the hotel was once the Holiday Inn. For over 20 years this hotel was the center attraction for conventions and conferences which brought people to Lansing from all over the country as well as internationally. It created much needed job opportunities for literally thousands of people over the years. Over time the hotel was not consistently updated and the convention population found newer, fresher hotel and convention centers in Lansing.

The surrounding area around the hotel does have older businesses and homes mixed with new businesses and new housing starts. The interesting thing is when the community observed our renovation efforts we began to see other businesses spruce up their properties.
The hotel once again has provided jobs opportunities for the citizens of Lansing and surrounding areas.

The hotel is very safe. For guest comfort we have installed cameras on all floors as well as outside areas including all parking lots. We have security personnel which is a common practice in the hotel industry.

When the current owner saw this older hotel he could envision the rebirth of a hotel that at one time was a very valuable asset to the Lansing area. It has taken over 3 years to completely renovate the hotel and convention center. We have witnessed an increase in return business that utilize the conference and convention center as well as the main hotel. We did not allow rooms in certain stages of renovation be used as guest rooms however, when a room was freshly painted, had new furniture, carpet, window treatments, and beds, we did allow these rooms to be assigned to guests. As time passed all rooms had additional upgrades such as nine pillows per bed, bed-skirts, free Wii Fii, and flat screen TV’s.

You mentioned that the walls looked like they had ten coats of paint. I want to clarify that all walls in the entire hotel had new drywall and two coats of paint. The walls are textured which provides depth to the interior design.
New Baltimore, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Had to stay here because that is where Soccer Tournament placed us for the weekend. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Air conditioner was anemic and rooms were quite hot to sleep in even with the temperature being in the 50's. Breakfast was horrible!!! Sausage/bacon on the buffet that was part of our room package was not cooked, only positive for 2 days of breakfast was the fruit bowl. Pool/hot tub ok, but seemed kind of not taken care of like the rest of the hotel. Staff was ok, not overly friendly, probably would not stay there if given a choice again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

If '60's style is your thing then this is the place. Lots of open space in the lobby/meeting areas. Unfortunately, there is nobody there. We were there for four nights and never saw any other guests in the common areas. The parking lot, (which is across the street), only had a few cars in it. The restaurant was hard to find, probably since it usually looked as if it were closed. Never ate there, and never saw anyone else eating there.
Staff was OK. Rooms were good..
It was a place to sleep without disturbance.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

Impeccable, is the word that describes the Causeway Bay Hotel in Holt/Lansing Michigan. My four sons and I stayed at this ‘3 star’ hotel during a recent visit to Michigan. All staff was friendly, helpful, and made us feel like honored guests and as if we were the only guests at the Hotel. Believe me, it is not often you find hotel staff that is happy to see a family check in and does whatever they can to treat children as important guests as well as their parents.
Our rooms were very clean and comfortable with no amenities lacking. Our rooms were made up daily around our schedule. Every one of our requests was handled quickly, efficiently, and with eagerness. The manager expressed personal interest making our stay the best it could be.
I have stayed in many hotels, from two to five stars. This hotel is rates very high on my list in all categories, service, amenities, comfort, etc. Causeway Bay Hotel in Lansing/Holt deserves at more than the three stars listed on my travel guide. I could go on, telling of seeing the manager personally directing the housekeeping crew and checking their work.
I am recommending the Causeway Bay Hotel to all who are visiting the Lansing area, especially families. Not only is it THE hotel to stay at, but being close to the interstate, MSU, Downtown Lansing, and all points mid-Michigan are at your door step.

Room Tip: You will be pleased with any and all rooms in this Hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

I was there for work, but I enjoyed everything about the hotel and the area. There was easy access by walking to a grocery store, restaurants, ice cream, and other stores. The airport shuttle was so relieving!

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Causeway Bay Lansing Hotel? Share your experiences!