“difranco3” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3615 Dunckel Road, Lansing, MI 48910   |
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Lansing
“difranco3”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I am unfortunately staying at this Red Roof Inn because of business in the area. So by no choice of my own my company made the arrangements. Seeing the "good" reviews they booked 5 days! My first impression was the person at the desk having trouble finding my reservation then attempting to enter my room at 1:30 and it not being ready. The housekeeper still doing what I guess she considered cleaning in the room.
Now with that being my first impression I was already salty! However, I am there for work (5 days) so I sucked it up and got dressed for work. Only to return at 10pm to the lights flickering in the bathroom and vanity area. Bugs crawling around the air conditioner. Lucky me I stopped at the closest Walmart and purchased disinfectant spray as well as bug spray. Also, when taking a shower it was more like taking a bath in dirty water! The drain did not drain and water was past my ankles! The topper to all of this was the fact my door would night close unless I pushed super hard. Also the extra security lock was broken! The screws kept falling out! So a single woman on the first floor and no security! I was able to pull the chair against the door and stack all my bags on and around it. Slept with my knife my husband gave me (just in case).
Lastly, I awake after a sleepless night to noise outside my door (7am). They were now power washing the building. I look outside they covered my car with plastic! No one told me off this! I have a convertible soft top that would be damaged if any chemicals got on it! $5000 to replace that top, if the Red Roof can't fix their hotel then I am sure they wouldn't fix my top!
I checked out on Sat.6/28/14 only to have to check back in on Mon. 6/30/14. I don't want to but again I traveled 3 hours away from home for work. I am not flipping this bill! Not a good experience and I am sure my next 4 days will be the same! Not looking forward to this trip!
Sadly I will be very careful if I ever consider a Red Roof in the future! I know there are some really nice ones however this one is not!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
redroof29, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing East, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
I apologize that you did not have a great stay our goal is to please all our guest and it seems that everything went amuck in your situation and we really dropped the ball. I appreciate you giving us another opportunity and will remove the charges for the unfortunate incident you encountered. I apologize again and thank you for staying at Red Roof Inn and informing us about your problem so we can improve our quality and customer service

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Gaylord
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was very convenient. Right off the highway and not too far from restaurants. Staff was very friendly. Room was great size and the bed was very comfortable. Great price. It was an overall wonderful stay. Will definitely stay here again if I'm in the area!

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for staying at Lansing East I am so glad that you found your visit an enjoyable experience. This inn is conveniently located for MSU, Lansing, and East Lansing. Again, thank you for staying with us and please stay with us again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

This Red Roof was an excellent value and very easy to access from the highway. A great value if you need to stay near the MSU campus. The rooms have been updated and are very nice. Once the bathrooms are updated the property will be even better. The staff was friendly and the breakfast bag was a great start to the day.

• Stayed May 2014
redroof29, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing East, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
I agree this location is very convenient for activities at both MSU and Lansing, and I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast and our friendly staff. Please stay with us again in the future and let all your friends know about not just this Red Roof but all our great locations.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

This is likely the least expensive motel in the Michigan State University vicinity, but not the cleanest. It has typical bargain-lodging amenities (but no hairdryer), and some rooms have a microwave and fridge. The staff is pleasant and helpful. But the two rooms we stayed in had dust on ledges and brown discoloration between the shower tiles, and were just generally dirty. An OK place to stay for a night, if you're willing to sacrifice a little cleanliness for a low price.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
redroof29, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing East, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Please accept my apology there is no excuse for dust or a room not being properly cleaned. Our product may not be new but are staff works very hard to provide all our guest with a clean comfortable and a memorable stay, I assure you I will investigate who cleaned your room and correct the problem. I hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with lodging the next time you are in Lansing ,we really appreciate you staying with us and your feed back helps us improve our service and quality to better meet your needs.
Marquette, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

This is an older property, but really have to hand it to management for their refurbishing and upgrades. Our king room had new floor in the bath, new carpeting in the room, new flat-screen tv and a useful work station. Paint was fresh and colors were attractive. Heating/cooling unit also new and very quiet. Some of the furniture had worn corners and edges, but were really not issues. Rooms are non-smoking, but guests do smoke on the wrap-around walkway. Maintenance requests very prompt, too. Two stories, no elevators. Convenient to MSU, state government, shopping, fast and slow food. Totally pet friendly. Not upscale quartering, but the price is right and accommodations totally fine. Recommended!

Room Tip: Get a king room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
redroof29, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing East, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for staying at Lansing East ,we hope this is just one of many good stays. This Inn is close to the MSU campus which is great for sporting events like football, basketball golf, but were also close to the livestock pavilion, The Breslin Center and many other campus attraction. Again, thank you for your kind words and for staying at Lansing East our goal is for every guest to have a memorable experience and become a repeat customer.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here for about 6-8 weeks for business purposes and I had great customer service from both staff members LOGAN & MARY. Always very helpful and if you need anything just ask. I would recommend this hotel and visit/stay again if in the area. Very friendly staff is always a good experience being away from home.

• Stayed March 2014
redroof29, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing East, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
We our delighted that you have made your home away from home Red Roof Inn Lansing East. Our staff makes a great effort to satisfy every guest and we hope you will continue to use Red Roof Inn for all your lodging needs, not only because of its location but because it is a great value with a great staff. We Thank you again for your kind words and staying at Lansing East.
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Most of the reviews already cover it so I'll keep it simple. You get amenities that you want (microwave, refrigerator, HD TV, Wi-Fi) as a price that is dirt cheap for the area.

The people who work there are very helpful and on the rare chance something goes wrong (unlikely) they will be there to help take care of everything right away. Whether it's Liz, Logan, Mary, etc. (apologize for those who's names I'm forgetting) you will find someone who is there to actually help instead of just pass the time doing nothing.

Quieter than most of the other areas you can stay at, right off the expressway, bus system available if you are visiting and need to get to campus.

Room Tip: Honestly you really can't go wrong with any of them, though I personally prefer 2nd floor
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking your valuable time to review us on tripAdvisor and for your kind words. I hope you will continue to stay with us and we thank you for all your support. I agree that we have amenities that satisfy most customers and for those that need a Little more fridge and microwaves are available for about $10.00 more. The staff at Lansing East works hard to meet the needs of our guest and we our located near many local attraction and restaurants. Again, thanks for your kind words and for staying at Lansing East.

Been to Red Roof Inn Lansing East? Share your experiences!