“Excellent Staff - Friendly, Helpful” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Red Roof Inn Lansing East to your Saves list
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Lansing
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Excellent Staff - Friendly, Helpful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Staff was amazing - everyone I met was friendly and helpful. Bedding was clean and comfortable. Room had a bit of a musty smell, which lessened a bit after air conditioning but was still there. They have some newer rooms, but I had a dog so I assume we probably use the older ones.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
redroof29, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing East, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
I am so glad that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly, I will share your comments with them and hope we will see you in the near future. We really appreciate your kind words and thank you for staying at Lansing East.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My family and I checked in and we were in a desperate way. The front desk woman was compassionate and very accommodating yet proffesional. The rooms were very clean and my son is allergic to cigarette smoke, there was no trace of the scent. Housekeeping was available and friendly. The Manager Dave was ever present for whatever problems that came up and also a good man holding high standards for his employees and the property. There were a lot of renovations going on at the time, so I am sure u will not be disappointed in your stay here, whether it be a return visit or first time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
redroof29, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing East, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
We thank you for responding on tripadvisor and your kind words,and I will share your thoughts with staff and hope you will stay with us again in the future. We thank you for staying at Lansing East and hope to see you again real soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I travel for work and my company uses red roofs when avalible!! This one other than being in a corn field it is nice!!! Front desk was helpful and the cleaning staff (joe) was great!!! Over all a great stay and I recommend it to anyone!!! Less the cornfield!!! Lol!!!

• Stayed July 2013
redroof29, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing East, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you for responding on tripadvisor and I am glad we were able to meet your lodging needs and will share your kind words with the staff. We try very hard to provide a clean comfortable room at a reasonable price for all our guest and look forward to the next time you or a member of your company stays at Lansing East.
Houghton Lake, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Hello,

I ended up with a severe UTI infection and my doctors believe it’s probably from the filth of that room… I was being cautious and washed my hands often too. I may even have to go through IV therapy for a 6 week period. I’ll know more on the weekend or on Monday.

I stayed there about 5 years ago once and told myself I would never go back… but I gave you a second chance after seeing on-line that it had been remodeled. I even asked about the remodel when I called the location direct to see if you had a room.

You might remember, I damaged my old van on one of the huge holes in your parking lot back then. You said 5 years ago it was going to be a priority to get it fixed back then. Everyone I spoke with at your facility said they couldn’t believe the condition of that lot. How you even have a business operating license as a hotel is a wonder to me.

What a shameful dump you are operating. You should go to the room I was in and look at the chairs in the light. Then turn on the heating unit… which cannot be temperature controlled… and take a good whiff of that. It was absolutely filthy.

The only remodeling I saw was a new bed which is too high off the ground for wheelchair users, (good thing I am really strong and was able to transfer uphill about 6”). By the way, average wheelchair seating height for adults is 19 ½”… that bed probably sits at 26 or so.

The room had a newer TV with a dirty screen, (I had to clean it before I turned it on… it was that bad), but it had a hokey very limited choice of stations and not exactly what I would call quality reception either. The room seemed to have semi-new carpeting but there were fleas on it and I killed several of them while eating dinner… as some of them hopped, flew or crawled up on the counter that the TV sits on.

Some lady offered to move me next door when she came to replace a light bulb that had been dead for a while I’m sure, however the damage had already been done and I didn’t want to go through the hassle of moving my things knowing that the room next door was probably the same or even worse.

You people should really be ashamed of that place… in fact my doctor had an assistant with her today when I saw her. The gal is an MSU intern and we got to talking about my infection. She used to live near your location and used to drive by it every day on her way to classes. Her exact words were, “you didn’t stay at that dump did you?”

Anyway, what a mistake that visit was, this whole thing may end up costing me thousands of dollars as I most likely picked up the infection in that room. All three of the doctors I have seen since Friday evening all concur I most likely picked the infection up in the unsanitary conditions of your establishment.

I have been staying at RR’s since their inception and this one is probably the worst of them all… although I will admit… I have stayed in a couple that would give yours a good run for the money regarding which is worst. Anyway, they have always prided themselves by advertising clean, comfortable rooms at a good price. In my opinion, for your RR to carry that flag would be false advertising as far as I am concerned.

Tom

Room Tip: Don't stay here in my opinion... Red Roof was considerably better last time I stayed there.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for responding on tripadvisor and I apologize that you did not have a great stay. Repairs on the parking lot will start on July 29th and we will continue to update rooms as new products arrive.I hope you will stay with us again and thanks for staying at Red Roof Inn.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Checked in and was given a King Suite on the ground floor. When I walked into the room the smell of smoke was overwhelming. It was seriously off putting. I went back to the main office and spoke with the desk clerk. She was great; she gave me keys to 2 more rooms and told me I could go and check the rooms first to see if either was suitable. I was able to move my stuff into the first of the two rooms which smelled much cleaner. The room was well cleaned. The rooms are dated but it was clean which is our priority. The rest of the stay was unremarkable. Yay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for responding on tripadvisor and I do agree that smoking in rooms is a big problem for for the hotel industry. When this happens at Lansing East the guest is charged $200.00 fine for a violation of Michigan Law and the room is cleaned in a special way to take the smoke smell out. Again, thanks for staying at Lansing East and I hope you will stay with us again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I was very happy with how the mgr David Walsh handled my room reservation. The housekeepers do an excellent job cleaning and getting the rooms ready for the next patron. I'm impressed with how the remodeling was professionally done.

• Stayed June 2013
redroof29, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing East, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for your kind words, I will share them my staff and I hope you will visit us here in Lansing the next time you our in town as well as the many location we have nation wide, Again, thanks for your kind words and thanks for choosing Red Roof Inn.

David Walsh General Manager
3615 Dunckel Road
Lansing, Michigan 48910
Grosse Pointe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My son and I stayed here overnight for an MSU sponsored athletic event in which my son was participating. For that limited purpose, our guy’s weekend stay was fine and the room was fine, and if you want to pay much more to address some of the negatives below, you’ve got options. One must bear in mind that no amount of money thrown at any East Lansing hotel will save one from wishing one were in Ann Arbor instead.

I’d probably stay here again for a similar East Lansing event. It’s close though. Here are plusses and minuses.

PLUSSES
• As others state, basic room was clean and reasonably updated, despite worn exterior featuring worn paint rust and failing concrete in lot.
• Internet access, while weak signaled, was acceptable and easy to log in to.
• Within a mile or two of south end of campus – easy convenient drive and shockingly convenient to express ways.
• As others have noted, friendly staff. Maybe a bit too much so for my taste, but that is probably my problem.
• Trip Advisor aware – big time.
• Room was quiet.

MINUSES
• The attempt at complimentary breakfast is a big fail. The muffin, bottled water and orange barely the size of balls at nearby golf course did not cut it. Add $10 per person plus gas and whatever you value your time at to go get breakfast someplace else.
• Despite reviews of others: no frig or microwave in my room or adjacent rooms.
• Absolutely no other commercial establishments within walking or even very short driving distance.
• Note cumulative effect of above: ITS HARD TO GET ANY FOOD! (Note: Ann Arbor Plymouth Red Roof – similar in many respects, has culture all over the place and a 24 hour restaurant built right in).
• The toilet was operational but needed massaging – others have commented on this.
• Yes there is flat screen TV but free viewing channels are OK but limited: just 22 by my count. So for example, not even any MSNBC.
• If you are one of those smell oriented folks, you may have a problem. There was a smoker/pet/travel industry smell pretty much everyplace reminiscent of your Aunt Hilda’s place in Traverse City with the 3 oversized cocker spaniels and cat she doesn’t let out quite enough. But pet owners including Hilda probably are all around and obviously love the place.
• No Coffee in room. Though there’s some in the lobby.
• Bathroom very small – the sinks in the general area helped though.
Again though, I give the place a passing grade, and there is a place across the street that did not make it through the difficult times in our state. Even on short stay, you can see the effort of management to do their very best, and for me that goes a long way too.

GO BLUE!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
redroof29, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Lansing East, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for responding on tripadvisor will love to hear from our guest as it lets us know where we need to improve so as to better serve our guest. I will share your thought with the staff and will ask you to stay with us again the next time you come to Lansing. Again I thank you fro your time and GO GREEN !

David S. Walsh
General Manager Red Roof Lansing East

Been to Red Roof Inn Lansing East? Share your experiences!