“Roach infested nightmare!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 23 hotels in Lansing
Columbus
“Roach infested nightmare!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Poor presence of professionalism. Weeds on the property were knee high. Boarded up doors and windows. People permanently living there and lerking like homeless. Dirty , smelly , hairs everywhere , stains on tub and carpet , cigarette burns and ashes on carpet and sheets. No breakfast after we were promised one. Poor water pressure. No interest in hearing our concerns at all during checking in or checkout. Lastly we almost stepped on a needle when we got out of bed!
Beware!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Monroe, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I rented a room for one week, the room was in the back of the property - it wasn't the best. Towards the end of the week around 3:30 am I was awaken by the sound of someone trying to kick in my door. I yelled very loudly until they left. I reported it to the front desk - they told me they have never had that happen before. I then called the police to make a report - they told me otherwise. If you stay at this motel - be mindful of your safety.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I stayed here for one night in June; and of course, the photos on the internet makes this place look great! When I arrived, the lobby of the motel was so stuffy and the a/c wasn't working that well. I should've taken this a hint and ran far away!!! Instead, I continued on with getting the room. After receiving the key, I promptly rushed over to where my room was so I could start putting my belongings in the room. Wow! Bad mistake on my part! I should've held off and did it when I came back since I was so short on time. I didn't realize that after I unloaded my car and started walking around, there was an unusual amount of dog hair on the floor and the ac wasn't putting out much cold air! I called the front desk and they refused to move me to another room saying that they were booked up. So I tried to dismiss that because it was only for a night and I wouldn't be there that long. Well, things got way worse! I got ready and left to go to the party I was going to and came back around 11pm. Shortly after I came back, while I was getting ready for bed, I kept feeling like I got stung or bit by something on my legs and feet. I dismissed it as mosquito bites until I saw something crawling on the sheets of the bed! It was a bed bug! Not just 1 or 2!! 30-50 of them!! I immediately freaked out and ran to the sink to get a wet towel and there in the sink was a cockroach!! That was it!! I called the front desk and they said they'd move me to another room. So, I inspected each article of clothing I had brought in with me, the luggage, and everything before I took out to my car hoping they weren't going to hitch a ride back home with me! About 30 mins later after going through everything and taking another shower, I went to the front desk and told them of the issues. The woman didn't say anything to me. She wrote down what I said and said the manager would call me to handle the situation and that she couldn't move me!! They didn't refund my money and I refused to go back to the room so I left! She said the manager was going to call but no one ever did. I tried to call the location but no one would return my call. I'd never stay here ever again! The Motel 6 locations I stay at are way cleaner than this dump! They also have no bed bugs & are 10-20 dollars cheaper! I stayed here at 50 for a night!! What a rip off considering the mental agony I've gone through because of all of this! Never again!!! Stay away from this motel especially room 156 that I was in!! I only have one thing to say decent about the motel. The check in clerk was nice and room looked upkept as far as painted and furniture looked ok but it was not clean and littered but that was it! The room's dark carpet had dog hair matted into it, bed bugs, & cockroaches on the bed, in the sink, and God knows where else!! The location I heard from the locals was near a bad neighborhood. Too bad I didn't ask earlier before I got the room!

Room Tip: Stay here if you want bed bugs & cockroaches, to be located near a bad neighborhood, a/c that ba...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dharlans, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Lansing, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
We are very sorry to hear about your experience here at our hotel. We would like you to know that the issue has been taken care of and we have not had any complaints or issues with this since your stay. We take these types of complaints very seriously and address them immediately.
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

We have stayed at a few motels in the Lansing area over the last several years when we visit our son who attends Michigan State University. We like this one the best and in fact have spent several weeks here.

What we like best:

- Inexpensive
- Within walking distance of Meijer's superstore - like a super Walmart, only nicer, with large grocery story and lots of fresh produce
- Refrigerator/freezer and microwave in the room that run quietly
- Good WiFi reception
-TV is enclosed in cabinet, which mutes noise from other rooms. TV includes some cable channels
- Little road noise: the motel is far back from the nearest major street and not next to a highway
- Within walking distance of major cinema complex, Target, lots of stores
- Within short drive or bus ride of public library, MSU, Lansing downtown/capitol
--Comfortable room overall, including beds.
--This is a park and walk motel--park only a few feet from the front (outside) door of your
room, making this very convenient.
Some drawbacks:
- If you get noisy neighbors, you can hear them. If your neighbors leave the motel super early, and thus start their car, you will hear them. Either turn up the heating/cooling to drown out the sound or sleep with ear plugs.
--The motel needs to be more vigilant in keeping outside clean--lots of scrap paper blows
around out front, there are three shopping carts, one overturned, out in front of the motel--giving this the appearance of a place in decline.

Overall, the motel was worth the price, we recommend it

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dharlans, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Lansing, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with other travelers and we are very happy to hear that you are happy with our hotel. Hope to see you again soon.
Kalamazoo, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

called to inform hotel clerk that sink in room 110 did not drain. did not care. stayed 2 nights sink remained clogged. Later that morning, around 330 am about 10 police officers with guns pulled, and machine guns aimed at room 114 were screaming and yelling for several minutes for occupant to open door and come out with hands up. suspect was handcuffed. Armed robbery at a Meijers. Constant noise and activity for the next 60-90 minutes,
Who needs an alarm clock? Could pass as an no tell-motel. Will not ever spend money again at America's Best.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
We are very sorry that you had a bad experience at our hotel. There is no excuse for not fixing the sink as soon as we were informed and we are very sorry about that. We have reviewed your comments with our entire staff so this will not happen again in the future. Unfortunately one of our guest did decide to rob the meijer across the street and we could not control that decision. Fortunately, our very competent police department took care of the situation as soon as possible and removed this guest from our property.
Lansing, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

Best Value of all my stays,and i travel almost all year around. off and on I stay here from june to november Hildegard

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Dharlans, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Lansing, responded to this review, March 23, 2011
Thank you very much for your comments, we appreciate you taking the time to share them. We are very pleased that you were happy with your stay and hope to see you again soon.
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2007

Booked by hotel's modern low rise hotel ad. Nothing is further from the truth. There is definitely nothing modern about it. You can see through the doors outside because of the gap. Old wooden painted vanity was showing rusty nails through. Ceiling had several leak stains. Clear old fashioned ceiling lights were loaded with bugs. The floor creaked as though you were walking on a plywood plank.There does not appear to be any upkeep to the property. The only plus side was the staff. We actually feel bad they work at this rundown property. Certainly does not deserve to be an Econo Lodge.

Stayed October 2007
We do apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay. We would like you to know that since your last visit in 2007, we have made many improvements to the hotel and the services we offer. Please come back and stay with us so you can see the improvements made.
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Lansing? Share your experiences!