“Only go here if you love camping--great place for kids, not me” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Jolli Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Leelanau
Jolli Lodge
You added Jolli Lodge to your Saves list
29 N. Manitou Trail, Lake Leelanau, MI 49653   |
lancaster
“Only go here if you love camping--great place for kids, not me”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

We just visited Lake Leelanau for the weekend for a friend's wedding in nearby Glen Arbor, MI. The lodge has many cabins and looks perfect for families who want a fun week with the kids. You can use their kayaks, bikes, paddle boats, and beach chairs.The owners live in part of the lodge and you can access their home from a quick knock on the door. They were nice and helpful. The keys to the room are from the 1800s and it's so cool to hold that piece of history in your hand. But not everything old is so awesome.

The lodge is very rustic but has amazing views of the lake. I'm sure if you are a "roughing-it" type, you'll love this place. It's a step above camping in a camper. I think if you wanted to stay in a cabin with extended family and friends; it would be fun. But the rooms in the lodge weren't up to my standards for comfort.

The two bathrooms are shared among five rooms, which I can deal with, but they aren't really nice or large. They're very utilitarian and haven't been updated in a long time, but they aren't original. So, for me, if it isn't for historical purpose, there needs to be an upgrade. Also, there was an antique scale in the bathroom, which was in the way. It was massive and in a small area. The other smaller bathroom was a stand-up shower and a toilet. That's it. VERY NARROW, but more modern looking.

We had the worst room, which is probably why we didn't have a good stay. The other rooms had more ocean breezes and light, which made them look and smell better. We had a little fan and a tiny breeze when we opened the windows, but then we had no privacy. So our room was too hot for my hubby.

Our bed was extremely poor in quality and didn't have any support. We both felt like sleeping on the floor or in our car was a better option. There was a big spider and some other bug that I had to smash. There was a historical appeal to the building, but I expected it to be rustic and clean, not rustic and dingy.

I went to places like these as a kid and had a great time, and I wish I still could feel comfy in a place that had bugs and shared bathrooms with old towels and bedspreads, but I'm not.

Room Tip: request a room with a view of the lake, room 5 looked nice
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

Stayed here for one night when visiting Leland and all other locations were sold out. I absolutely was stunned by the gorgeous views, beach and generosity of the owners to put out lounge chairs, kayaks, bikes for free use.

However, the lodge needs updates BADLY - I stayed in a tiny HOT room looking out straight at the parking lot ( no chance to keep the blinds/window open with 90+ degrees heat :( - just enough space f a queen sized bed, dresser and sink. All furnished items did not look antique but just badly used for the last 50 yrs without any updates. The room was not well cleaned (cob webs and spiders in the corner, dirty used bath towels on the rack in the closet from teh previous guest), the pillow was all "clumped" up - bathroom/shower in the dark hall to be shared w the 6 other rooms. Whilst I was impressed by the location and my mind started spinning about all those great opportunities this place could offer w some basic remodel and updates, I was uncomfortable in my room and glad I had to only sleep there. As it appears , they have been having mostly the same clientle for the last 20+yrs and therefore do not seem to see any improvement as necessary. No phone, TV, clocks, tissues or any other frills in the rooms - the only TV in the "Great Room" looked so outdated thaht I was wondering if it might be still in black and white. To be fair I must say, that also leland Lodge looks like they could use a face lift ( my friends stayed there) - so maybe people just do not mind when they head up North about being in comfortable and clean accomodations? Wished I could come back :(

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Fennville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

A rather unexpected gem, this place was truly fantastic! The location was unbeatable right on the shores of Lake Michigan, with kayak/boating options, beach-walking, or simply enjoying an amazing sunset view. The owners and staff were honestly the nicest people we've met on any of our travels. Though they apologized for some of the older appearances in the cottages, they truly were perfect for our family of five, including the bikes and playscape for the kids. For the price, this definitely was one of the best places we've stayed!

• Stayed October 2010
michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

The appeal of this place is its "old school" charm. Think "Dirty Dancing" on Lake Michigan...sort of. Okay, there are no organized activities, but the majority of the accommodations are in the form of cottages which are rented to families and groups, many who take the same week year after year. As a result, its difficult to get a cottage or house during the peak months--they are literally booked solid.

In addition to the cottages, there is the "lodge" which has about 6 rooms that are rented on a nightly basis. Each of these rooms shares a bathroom on the hall. The rooms are very cute, furnished in an old fashion style which is very appropriate to the historic nature of the lodge. The beds, however, really do leave something to be desired. Ours was very soft and I was glad that we were not staying very long.

The lodge has a large living room and screened porch, all which overlook Lake Michigan. The view is stunning. There is direct access to the lake with comfortable chaise lounges, and many lake "toys" for use (gratis)--kayaks, paddle boats, etc.

The resort is family-run and has an endearing and very personal quality to it. I did not see any of the cottages, but I did see most of the lodge rooms. I like the feel of the place very much, but I wish the Lodge were just a teeny-bit nicer cleanliness-wise. If the Lodge could be upgraded just a bit (and I don't mean a lot, I mean a bit) I would give it much higher ratings. I love the historical feel and the authentic feel very, very much. I just think it could use better beds & a tiny bit more cleaning.

Love, love, love the location and the feel of the place. Very old school.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Jolli Lodge? Share your experiences!