“Pack an air mattress” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Kentwood
Larchmont
“Pack an air mattress”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed at the Staybridge Suites in Grand Rapids, Michigan from Friday, August 2 - Sunday August 4, 2013.

Unfortunately our experience with this property was negative in that we did not receive the accommodation we had reserved and paid for.

Our online reservation read: "We have reserved for you the following accommodations: Non-Smoking One Bedroom with Two Double Bed Suite."

Upon arrival however, we were given a Non-Smoking One Bedroom with a King Bed. As non-cohabitating adults of the same gender, we did not want to share a King Bed. When we returned to the desk to ask for the two double beds we had reserved, we were told that no room fitting our reservation description was available and that we should use the pullout in the living room as our second bed. This pullout "bed" was in deplorable condition (the mattress thin and worn, the metal frame so crooked that the mattress was on a 25 degree angle). One of us had to sleep with cushions under the frame to hold the "bed" level and with our feet propped up against the entertainment center. Every slight movement or pillow fluff triggered the sound of squeaking springs. We found the difference between a "double bed" and this sofa "bed" to be a good night's sleep.

Upon arrival, the woman at the front desk was very apologetic and referred us to the manager, Mitch Spence, to obtain a partial refund after our stay. Mr. Spence was, however, unwilling to partially refund us for the inconvenience of two sleepless nights on a contraption that in no way resembled a "bed." He maintained in a confusing email reply that as we had "made the reservation online" "room types are subject to change" that the "reservation was fulfilled." He referred us to the "rhetoric" of room descriptions and stated that "corporate" would not permit us a partial refund for not fulfilling our reservation. We respectfully disagree, and would like to warn other travelers to beware that the Staybridge Suite Grand Rapids may not honor the type of accommodation reserved. You'll want to avoid the sofa "bed" at all cost. Pack an air mattress just in case.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Danielle L, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Grand Rapids/Kentwood, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for the comments on your recent stay. Upon review of your reservation it is clear that a specific room type was not reserved for your stay. We are dedicated to customer service and would have been more than happy to find accommodations elsewhere that were more satisfactory for your needs as we were sold out and had limited room type availability. A deluxe suite is based on that availability of rooms and without a specific room request it is difficult to know what is needed. We apologize for this inconvenience and only ask that rooms be booked specifically as needed online or through the hotel’s front desk staff as they are the most capable of handling requests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Spent 3 weeks here in summer '13.
For what it offers and is, this is a good property.
Even though its close to the airport, it never seemed like an "airport hotel".
Many good eating places, some even close enough to walk (Its a safe area...no residential)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I have mixed emotions about my stay at the Staybridge Grand Rapids/Kentwood.

At first I was impressed with the professional friendly young man who greeted me when I arrived. He told me I did not get the room I originally booked, but I had been "upgraded" to a room with two queen beds instead of the king I requested. When I asked him about putting me in the original room, a mysterious voice from behind the wall said they had to upgrade me as a matter of inventory. (As a Platinum PC member I was surprised to know a loyal customer was considered simply "inventory.") Anyway, after I asked again I was assigned a different room with the size bed I had originally booked. When I went to this room and looked at it, it was on the first floor, next to an exterior door with the bedroom window adjacent to the front parking lot. I went back to the desk and said No thanks. I'll take the upgraded room on a higher floor.

The room I received had several things in a state of disrepair.The kitchen area had cracked tiles, and the cooktop had not been cleaned around the burners. The light on the cooktop was always on, too. On my stove at home, the red light is a warning that the cooktop is on and the burner is hot. Perhaps this one was different, but it seemed wrong. Other areas of the room had some issues as well. In the bathroom the base of the tub was either very dirty or discolored from mildew. There were some sort of seeds on the carpet, so I assume it had not been carefully vacuumed. But, the bed linens were fresh and the pillows were comfortable so I was able to sleep.

In the hotel great room the food serving area is very tiny, and could be cramped when busy. During my mid-week stay the other guests were very polite and waited to take turns. I imagine it can get very crazy on the weekends, however. There is also no ice for the beverages. The host was very pleasant and gladly got it for me when I asked. The food was adequate and plentiful. I had to smile though when I went to place my dishes in the bus tub. There was a note posted to put food scraps and trash in the trash bin before placing the dishes in the tub. It reminded me of high school. (Of course I did it. I didn't want the cafeteria lady to come get me!)

Some general notes on the property: The location is good. The staff were very friendly and professional. (Except the mysterious voice behind the wall.) There are many restaurant choices nearby, but none of them are within comfortable walking distance. The hotel is in a quiet area set back from main road, and my GPS was right on the money.

As for my general thoughts... I slept okay, but I think I will be looking elsewhere on my next trip to the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Grand Rapids/Kentwood, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear AnotherNiteOnTheRoad,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We are delighted about your positive comments with the location of our hotel and our friendly and professional staff. It is always our goal to provide the best possible service and create memorable experiences and on this occasion we apologize we did not exceed your expectations with our facilities. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

We value your comments and hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Grand Blanc, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I called after very rude treatment during check-in at the Hawthorne Suites (see that review). Danielle (I think), was very pleasant and helped making the reservation before a drove over. Check-in was very smooth. The suite was very clean and had everything you would ever need. The beds were comfortable, breakfast was excellent. They will get all my furture grand rapids business. Could not reccomend more.

Room Tip: 2 bedrooms are very spacious.
Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Mahwah NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Went to visit our daughter who lives in Kentwood. We had our dog with us so we were concerned if we were going to get good service. The service was great. The one-bedroom suite with kitchen suited our needs. We were named Guest of the Day when we arrived, so we had breakfast delivered the next morning. The room was very comfortable and we were able to spread out since we were staying for a couple of days. Our dog's crate was next to our bed so he felt comfortable as well. All the people were very friendly and we will use this place again when we come back to Grand Rapids.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed at the Staybridge for visiting the Holland Tulip Festival. It was a short 35 minute drive. There were 2 couples and the 2 bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms gave everyone enough space to relax. The traditional Staybridge amenities-Great Breakfast, Good Coffee, Fitness center, Free wifi and the evening meals all added to a great time. This was also very close to Meijer Gardens which is a must visit. Will be staying here on our next visit to Grand Rapids.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel H, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Grand Rapids/Kentwood, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
We are glad to be of convenience for you while visiting the area. There are always so many wonderful things to do in West Michigan in the spring, I am glad you had an opportunity to experience two of the best ones. Please visit us next time you are in the area and we will do our best to make it a great time!
Chicago Heights
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

This is my favorite hotel accommodation when I stay in Grand Rapids Michigan. I would choose Staybridge wherever I go if I could find them and they are close to where I need to be! The staff is soooo nice and accommodating. The coffee is available, hot and free all day and night-Wolfgang Puck! Free breakfast is excellent and a highlight of our visits. I like that there is a little store available for late night snacks. It is always clean and quiet. You get a lot of room and service for you money!!!! I recommend to all. When I had a family member pass away, I recommended this hotel to all of our family from out of town.

Room Tip: Just make sure you ask for a smoke free, pet free room!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hi Tina,

Thanks so much for all the great compliments. We work very hard to make sure the Staybridge brand is well regarded and a top choice among travelers. You touched on many of the qualities that make this brand a great one and we appreciate that very much. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in the city.

Been to Staybridge Suites Grand Rapids/Kentwood? Share your experiences!