“Awful....DO NOT STAY” 1 of 5 stars

1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   502 South Cedar St., Kalkaska, MI 49646   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Kalkaska
“Awful....DO NOT STAY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

1. Feces in the stool when we checked in.
2. Substance on carpet in front of bathroom moist and not cleaned.
3. No maid service after first day.
4. Desk clerk spoke broken
English and understood a limited amount of English.

Chose only because every hotel in area booked. Rates reflect a 3-4 star hotel. Reality is a half star motel at best. Avoid especially if you plan to stay with children. Not clean inside and outside.

• Stayed July 2014

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Delaware, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stumbled upon this hotel after having a nightmare of an experience at another inn and finding every hotel in the Traverse City vicinity either completely booked or attached to a $200+ price tag. We just needed a place to rest for the night and this hotel worked out perfectly.

The gentleman that checked us in spoke limited English but was very polite and welcoming and made sure to invite me to the office the following morning for coffee. While unloading our luggage a young man and woman approached my wife in the parking lot and introduced themselves (head of maintenance and head of housekeeping if I recall correctly) and explained to her about some of the improvements they have been implementing in the hotel in regards to housekeeping standards and improvements to the rooms and property. They were very helpful, polite and let us know how much they would value our feedback on our stay.

Of the two rooms we rented one had a remodeled bath which was surprisingly nice with new tile, vanity and shower. The rest of the room was outdated but we could tell much effort was put into cleanliness. The bedding and linens were in good shape and smelled clean and fresh. The free wifi was amazingly fast and much better than wifi at places we have stayed with three times the price tag. The ac in both rooms kept them plenty cool and tvs were old but worked perfectly fine. It seems like this place is a bit of a work in progress but overall moving in the right direction.

We had a good nights rest and the following morning the gentleman in charge of maintenance met us in the parking lot while we were loading up our luggage and chatted with us a bit about our stay. He seemed to genuinely care about the property and customer experience at the hotel.

Not a bad place to rest for the night and I'm sure within a year with the improvements they are doing this will be a very comfortable and cute value priced hotel near everything the Traverse City area has to offer.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a remodeled room but if none are available rest assured that it will still be clean.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Batavia, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I called to tell them our arrival time and that we had dogs. He (an older gentleman from India) seemed very befuddled and said he had no reservation for me. He also said that they did not allow dogs. He said he would call me back in 5 minutes.

This was a very crowded resort area so I did not think we could find another room.

He called back and said he had a room for us.

The room and overall condition of the hotel was shocking. It truly is in tear down condition. We were in room 107.

The carpet is covered with black mold and large water stains.
Parts of the carpet had been torn up.
The carpet had not been vacuumed.
The bathroom door could not close.
There was little hot water pressure, the only possible shower was with cold water.
The tub was so cruddy looking that a bath was out of the question.

The room was so moldy and decrepit that I am sure a health inspector would condemn it. I saw 5 other cars the next morning. No upper floor rooms had been rented.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Macomb, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last year with my gf due to the high traverse city hotel costs thinking it wouldn't of been bad..well I was wrong. The room we stayed in had no heat or a/c, TV was black ad white, there were holes in the sheets and tub was stained horribly. The front desk guy seemed to be a decent person but I wouldn't suggest my worst enemy stay here. This place is not good.

• Stayed May 2013
Ann Arbor
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This hotel is a dump!! I would not send my worst enemy to stay at this motel! Save your money and go elsewhere!! The other guests that pinned their opinions were not joshing you. TRUST ME!! There are nicer hotels just outside Traverse City. However, all the hotels were filled because of a festival. We traveled to the next closest town. Without reading the bad reviews we chose to stay at this motel. I learned a good lesson....do not plan to stay at ANY hotel/motel without first reading the reviews from other travelers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Kalamazoo, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I booked a room for my partner and his college buddy for a last minute weekend trip north to the Traverse City Film Festival as everything closer to TC was either booked solid or going for $500 for two nights.

It was 12:15 am and I needed to get a hold of my partner semi-emergently (nothing earthshaking but it was still important to try to reach him with some information).

I couldn't reach my partner on his mobile phone but he had been having battery issues earlier in the day. So, I just called the motel to be connected to the room. Simple, right? Well, no....

I called and the staff person who answered (after 5 rings) said she was on a cordless phone and "not in the right room" to transfer a call to the room. She offered to go knock on the door and give him a message to call me. I frustratingly declined, said never mind and hung up.

Frustrated, and thinking "this is 2013, and this motel isn't in Hooterville" I called back at a second different number hoping it would be the "right" number to be transferred. Instead I was rudely told that no, she still couldn't transfer my call and that she had gone upstairs and knocked on the door anyway after the first call (and after I had explicitly told her NOT to). After she rudely grumbled "I don't know what else you wanted me to do" I was not amused and might have shot back something snarky along the lines of "I would expect that since you advertise yourself as a friendly full service motel I guess I would expect you to, say, walk yourself to the room where you could transfer the call and the DO IT."

No sooner than had I hung up on her I get a call from my partner very concerned because someone had come pounding on the door to say someone was trying to reach him.

Really? REALLY? Every full service motel I have ever stayed in has had an overnight desk/night audit person AT or IN the front desk area, not some rude witless person in some other part of the motel answering with a cordless phone who can't transfer a call to a room.

I shudder to think what the response would be to a request more complicated than transferring a call to a room.

Stayed August 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

So, we stayed here during our Trip to the Cherry Bomb Lacrosse tournament in Traverse City 7/26 & 7/27/13. It looked nothing like the website pictures (http://www.quality-motel.com/); though the page does give the correct address for this property. I new the rate wasn't too bad, and figured, simple quality. We checked in at 10pm (the rest of our group got there at 11pm),
It is a enclosed roadside motel from the 1950's/1960's (ie: the exterior entrances on the upper level were enclosed in to give it "hallway". I new this wasn't going to be like the picture on the internet, but it was late.

Lower rooms were definately in need of an "Anthony Melchiorri Make-over" (reference http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/hotel-impossible/articles/hotel-impossible). The carpet was missing under the credenza. It seemed tired from the 1980's. The upstairs were "remodeled", however done in the nature of perhaps hiring your uncle who was down on his luck to fix up the place (bad patch job on the drywall, bathtub stripping coming off, window trim was painted but never scrapped off the glass).

There is no courtesy coffee in the rooms, and TV's were old school.

On a plus side, it appeared relatively "clean". The desk clerk was very nice, and I saw her vacuuming the stairs at about 8am on Saturday morning. My skin wasn't crawling, but I felt like I was jettisoned back to the 80's.

Hotel Impossible, this would be a great candidate for the show!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to North Country American Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!