“average in all ways..” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“average in all ways..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

very average.... nothing really stand out on the positive or negative side of the ledger.

A decent place for a overnight stay. The breakfast is pathetic... but there is a cracker barrel restaurant virtually in the parking lot.

Rooms are clean. Lobby is seemingly under construction or remodeling or something. Front desk personnel are nice and try to be helpful... but they are really not engaged in their efforts to make this an exceptional place to stay. They do their job... nicely... but thats about as far as it goes. not bad... just "average"

Best aspect... location is easy on and off the freeway and easy access to the kalamazoo area. Frankly; if I go to this area again I will try a different place... just because there is nothing there to make it worth going back too.... then again I would not be afraid to stay there again... just knowing all you are getting is a clean room, and good location....

Room Tip: If you stay... skip their breakfast and go to the cracker barrel restaurant in the parking lot.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Kenosha, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I expected more from the Fairfield/Marriott chain. This one is disappointing. We stayed here for an overnight on our way elsewhere. Checkin was quick and the front desk staff person was courteous. I was told that they had recently had an act of vandalism in the hotel which resulted in half of their rooms being flooded out and rendered unusable. They were still in the act of cleanup. Because of this, the hotel wasn't up to it's usual standards. There was plastic hanging in the hallway and fans blowing. As this was an act outside the scope of their control, I don't hold this against them. I was also told that their rooms were newly renovated. The smell of newness was evident in the place

The beds that we collapsed into were very comfortable and we slept well despite being able to hear the person in the adjoining room snore quite loudly.

In the morning, I was dismayed to observe some cleanliness issues despite a renovation that was completed mere weeks ago. I'm thinking the renovation in the rooms entailed new carpeting, paint, and other decor issues. There was something brown smeared on the control cover of the HVAC unit in the room. In the bathroom, the flush handle was not attached to the toilet tank and was just hanging there, and there was black fuzzy mold growing in the corner of the bathtub. YUCK! Maintenance and housekeeping apparently aren't high on the renovation list. These things are unacceptable and show a lack of attention to detail.

They do have a breakfast which we did not avail ourselves of and a swimming pool which was also closed due to the flooding.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed at the Fairfield Inn, Kalamazoo, MI for 2 nights earlier this week. The room was clean and tidy. The breakfast was good. I must mention the front office staff Brittney was very cheerful and helpful. She had all our check in formalities sorted out in seconds. The girl managing the breakfast too was very swift and friendly. Brittney at the front office was very well informed and recommended a great place for dinner. Overall a good hotel with great assets (their employees).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Macomb, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Bathroom floor filthy around molding,Hall carpeting appeared looked like a dead animal was killed on it and dragged down the hall. Pool was cloudy and green. Ice machine was empty entire weekend. Only a few towels if any in pool area. Pool furniture was trashed and falling appart. Not recommended for humans.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
goodhsi_admin1, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo West, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear valued guest,

The feedback is appreciated. I’m so sorry that you experienced below normal standards when staying with us. We are currently in the middle of a renovation and you’ll be pleased to know that all the issues will be remedied. We are ecstatic about this construction period and can’t wait for it to be completed. We hope that you will give us another chance to revisit our property if you travel in the area again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We had high hopes for this hotel as it was the first on our trip to the east. Our initial impression of the hotel was a 10 minute wait at the front desk while no one was present. There was a sign that said they were helping another guest, so I am not sure where the lady was. When she did show up, she was helpful and kind.

The new king bed rooms were nice, but whoever laid out the floor plan must never stay at a hotel. The large couch is placed on the same side of the room as the television. I ended up sitting in the office chair, but considered moving the couch all night. The couch is a pull out, but unfortunately they failed to provide bedding. I went down to the front desk to get some bedding, and that was an interesting adventure. There was a kid and some lady in the lobby right in front of the front desk that had some interesting issues. He was telling this lady that he was going to call the cops cause his mom was tripping on something. The lady at the front desk was talking with two other folks, but immediately said "How can I help you?" to me. I got my bedding and hauled out of there.

Talking about the rest of the stay. The bathroom is very darkly lit, but was clean. The room and bed were very nice. The pool was cold and they must have taken out the hot tub. There is an area for it, but no hot tub. The pool was quite cold.

I really was unimpressed with the hotel. There were a number of nice things. The placement near I94 was great and easy to access. The new improvements were nice. The lady at the front desk (when I could find her) was helpful. Everything seemed clean. Our stay was fine, but nothing to write home about.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is a very unimpressive hotel experience. The room is incredibly small to begin with, but is made worse by being stuffed with dated and shabby oversized furniture. It makes it difficult to know if it is dirty or just old. The only place large enough to open a small suitcase is on the bed. We are staying only because every other hotel in Kalamazoo is booked. Normally Marriott hotels are very nice though I guess that does not span across all their brands.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

We thank you for staying with us. The information receive and the timing could not be better as we are at the start of our renovation. I’m hoping you will give the property another chance when we are fully completed. We hope to have many fine upgrades and can’t wait for our guests to enjoy all we will have to offer!

Irving, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

We stayed here mid-May during a conference with my husband and 3-year old. I made the reservation online via Discover Kalamazoo and requested a two-queen room which was confirmed; however, upon check-in we discovered we got a king-room, which would not have worked for the three of us. The front desk was very helpful and switched us over immediately--they only had a handicapped room with queen beds, which was working great for us. The lobby is lovely, albeit a bit small, but they had fresh cookies and fruit out as a welcome snack which my daughter really appreciated. They are also currently doing some room and corridor renovatios to replace some of the more worn decor, so heads-up to those who recently experienced some outdated or old carpets etc.
It's located very conveninetly for the highway just off I-94--was a bit far from our conference location compared to other hotels they recommended, but since we had a car, no issues there. And I got my Marriott points this way...
I happen to be a fan of hard mattresses so I had no problems sleeping at night--you might consider that when you book here, the Marriott beds are noticeably harder than the Hilton ones (say, compared to an Embassy bed with its pillowtop sinking under you like a featherbed, this might be kind of a surprise). The bathroom was spacious and the water pressure great.
The breakfast is excellent, a lot of healthy items with different types of yogurt, fresh fruit, juices etc., apart from toast and muffins and waffles. I just wish they had jams without HFCS, but that's really nitpicky at a Fairfield- I'd have asked at a Courtyard, but you know to pick your battles.
The staff is excellent, everyone's friendly and very helpful-always smiling and greeting us as we returned at the end of a long day.
All in all, we had a really good time--even with the noisy family talking late into the night under our window one night, this was a great stay and we'll definitely return and reommend this property.

Room Tip: Handicapped rooms have larger bathroom with lower tubs that are easier for little kids to get into...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
goodhsi_admin1, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo West, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for considering us for your stay while attending your conference. I am sorry that we were not closer to your venue and that there was a mix up with your reservation. I am glad the front desk was able to work it out for you quickly and that you didn’t mind the short drive. I am pleased that our renovations were not a disturbance and appreciate you taking notice in your review. I will let the staff know that you praised their efforts and hope that you will visit us if you are in the area or passing through on your next trip. Thank you again.

Tara Butcher

Been to Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo West? Share your experiences!