“New rooms OK, everything else questionable” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #9 of 31 hotels in Kalamazoo
“New rooms OK, everything else questionable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We had high hopes for this hotel as it was the first on our trip to the east. Our initial impression of the hotel was a 10 minute wait at the front desk while no one was present. There was a sign that said they were helping another guest, so I am not sure where the lady was. When she did show up, she was helpful and kind.

The new king bed rooms were nice, but whoever laid out the floor plan must never stay at a hotel. The large couch is placed on the same side of the room as the television. I ended up sitting in the office chair, but considered moving the couch all night. The couch is a pull out, but unfortunately they failed to provide bedding. I went down to the front desk to get some bedding, and that was an interesting adventure. There was a kid and some lady in the lobby right in front of the front desk that had some interesting issues. He was telling this lady that he was going to call the cops cause his mom was tripping on something. The lady at the front desk was talking with two other folks, but immediately said "How can I help you?" to me. I got my bedding and hauled out of there.

Talking about the rest of the stay. The bathroom is very darkly lit, but was clean. The room and bed were very nice. The pool was cold and they must have taken out the hot tub. There is an area for it, but no hot tub. The pool was quite cold.

I really was unimpressed with the hotel. There were a number of nice things. The placement near I94 was great and easy to access. The new improvements were nice. The lady at the front desk (when I could find her) was helpful. Everything seemed clean. Our stay was fine, but nothing to write home about.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is a very unimpressive hotel experience. The room is incredibly small to begin with, but is made worse by being stuffed with dated and shabby oversized furniture. It makes it difficult to know if it is dirty or just old. The only place large enough to open a small suitcase is on the bed. We are staying only because every other hotel in Kalamazoo is booked. Normally Marriott hotels are very nice though I guess that does not span across all their brands.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
goodhsi_admin1, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo West, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear valued guest,

We thank you for staying with us. The information receive and the timing could not be better as we are at the start of our renovation. I’m hoping you will give the property another chance when we are fully completed. We hope to have many fine upgrades and can’t wait for our guests to enjoy all we will have to offer!

Irving, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

We stayed here mid-May during a conference with my husband and 3-year old. I made the reservation online via Discover Kalamazoo and requested a two-queen room which was confirmed; however, upon check-in we discovered we got a king-room, which would not have worked for the three of us. The front desk was very helpful and switched us over immediately--they only had a handicapped room with queen beds, which was working great for us. The lobby is lovely, albeit a bit small, but they had fresh cookies and fruit out as a welcome snack which my daughter really appreciated. They are also currently doing some room and corridor renovatios to replace some of the more worn decor, so heads-up to those who recently experienced some outdated or old carpets etc.
It's located very conveninetly for the highway just off I-94--was a bit far from our conference location compared to other hotels they recommended, but since we had a car, no issues there. And I got my Marriott points this way...
I happen to be a fan of hard mattresses so I had no problems sleeping at night--you might consider that when you book here, the Marriott beds are noticeably harder than the Hilton ones (say, compared to an Embassy bed with its pillowtop sinking under you like a featherbed, this might be kind of a surprise). The bathroom was spacious and the water pressure great.
The breakfast is excellent, a lot of healthy items with different types of yogurt, fresh fruit, juices etc., apart from toast and muffins and waffles. I just wish they had jams without HFCS, but that's really nitpicky at a Fairfield- I'd have asked at a Courtyard, but you know to pick your battles.
The staff is excellent, everyone's friendly and very helpful-always smiling and greeting us as we returned at the end of a long day.
All in all, we had a really good time--even with the noisy family talking late into the night under our window one night, this was a great stay and we'll definitely return and reommend this property.

Room Tip: Handicapped rooms have larger bathroom with lower tubs that are easier for little kids to get into...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
goodhsi_admin1, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo West, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for considering us for your stay while attending your conference. I am sorry that we were not closer to your venue and that there was a mix up with your reservation. I am glad the front desk was able to work it out for you quickly and that you didn’t mind the short drive. I am pleased that our renovations were not a disturbance and appreciate you taking notice in your review. I will let the staff know that you praised their efforts and hope that you will visit us if you are in the area or passing through on your next trip. Thank you again.

Harbor Springs, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

This hotel is a reasonable choice for a good night's sleep in the Kalamazoo area. It is conveniently located only a few miles from the city center, Western Michigan University, and Kalamazoo College, just off I-94. The beds and pillows are quite comfortable. The complimentary breakfast is adequate. The hotel has an indoor swimming pool and a small exercise room. The hotel is showing its age, but now in a remodeling project.

The room charge is very competitive, easily a better bargain than a "budget" hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo West, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear valued guest,

I thank you so much for staying with us and sharing details about your stay with other potential travelers. We are anxious to complete our property updates quickly and quietly to improve all of our guests future stays. Please do not hesitate to request anything that would make your trip more enjoyable. I hope that you think of us again when you are in the area.

All the best,
Manistee, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Stayed here and had booked several rooms for relatives for graduation recently. No one had any serious complaints but no one had any complements either. For a Marriott hotel it seemed a little bit worn like the carpets in the hallways. The rooms were fine as well as the bathrooms and the staff was very helpful. It was a bit noisy. It seemed like there was something they could have done with the doors to soundproof better (heard voices very easily in the hallway from two rooms) and if you have a room on the side of the hotel near the freeway it is very close and the sound of passing trucks is noticeable.

The breakfast bar was about what you would expect for an economy hotel, cereal, yogurt, decaf and regular coffee, bagels, and plastic like apples and bananas. There was only one juice offered (orange) and the dispenser was broken on both days we were there. The breakfast closed at 10:00 and despite many people still there they closed and locked it up pronto.

I would look somewhere else for a better value place if I stayed in Kalamazoo again but if I did have to stay here again it wouldn't mind too much if I could get a room on the south side.

Room Tip: get a south side (away from the freeway) room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
goodhsi_admin1, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo West, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Dear valued guest,

I thank you for your constructive criticism. It is beneficial for us now to know what our travelers see as positives as well as negatives. I’m sorry we didn’t provide a commendable experience. We carefully to review our guest’s surveys taking them into consideration and are very pleased to announce the property will have a renovation this year. My staff and I are truly excited about all the future enhancements soon to take place. I would love it if you stay and review our property after we have finished our refresh. Please think of us again, our hope for our property after the refresh is to go above your expectations.

New Hope, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Fairfield Inns are Marriott's entry level properties, sort of like motels raised to a uniform higher standard. They differ from Courtyards in areas like drinking glasses - Courtyards are glass, Fairfield Inn, light plastic.

The Fairfield Inn in Kalamazoo MI was clean and good looking in the lobby area, as expected. Rooms were standard however clues like the rust and corrosion abound the base of the bathroom mirror (where it seats into a metal bracket) indicates where it needs updating.

I always ask for a wake up call at the desk (It came on time) and stationary and a couple of envelopes for organizing bills and writing a letter to my wife back home. No problem getting my supplies.

Room Tip: Fairfield inns are pretty uniform. The only consideration is how far the room is from the elevator...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
goodhsi_admin1, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo West, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Dear Bryce S,

I’m Tara, General Manager at the hotel. I thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am very glad that we were able to provide you with a dependable wakeup call and business materials during your stay. The hotel is constantly full of activity and we have done our best at maintaining the property. Our guests’ satisfaction is very important and we take a lot of the feedback into consideration. I would like to let you know that our hotel plans to do a property wide refresh this year. We are very excited about it and hope you will consider us again so you have the opportunity to see the many updates we will have done.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011 via mobile

Good hotel... Clean and all but price on a higher side... Breakfast didn't have much choice... Over all you will love your stay if u don't care about break fast a lot... Havent checked the pool and other areas so can't comment much about them...

• Stayed December 2011

Been to Fairfield Inn Kalamazoo West? Share your experiences!