“Our Impressions Were Overall Negative” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Kalamazoo

You added Super 8 Kalamazoo to your Saves list
Super 8 Kalamazoo
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   618 Maple Hill Drive, Off US 131 Exit 38A, Kalamazoo, MI 49009-1032   |
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ketteringm Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I went to the website to verify the address of the hotel and saw that there had been 5 bad reviews over the past month with comments ranging from bad electrical outlets to smelly conditions.
I called the facility and spoke with Ginger who asked me to read the reviews to her and she explained they must have been because they were remodeling. She assured me that the remodel had been completed, and she would personally inspect our rooms (3) to make sure they were perfect.
Upon arrival, we found the parking lot in need of repair. The young man at the front desk seemed overwhelmed by the calls to him with complaints such as "the water in the tub doesn't work." I mentioned my concern and that I had spoke with Ginger and he also said they were remodeling.
He had to change the rooms assigned to us because they were not what I had reserved (over the phone and again confirmed that morning). This is a 3 story facility with no elevator and I had a handicapped individual with me. The lower floor is normally handicap accessible, but was blocked by the headboards that had not been installed.
Upon opening the door to the second floor where our room was assigned, we were met with a very strong smell of cigarette odor even though the desk clerk said Michigan banned smoking 3 years earlier.
The room had been recently painted (bad colors I might add), but the carpet was dirty and it was obvious they had attempted to cover up the smell by pouring carpet cleaner on it because the carpet was damp and the cleaner smell was so bad we had to open the window. There were no hangers for clothes and we had to go to the front desk to get an iron. We also had to request toilet paper because the roll in the bathroom only had about 5 sheets on the roll, but the desk clerk did point out that it did have a new toilet.
Air conditioner was a wall unit, it blew cooler air, but the compressor didn't kick on, so it did not really cool the room. The desk clerk had lots of explanations, and indicated that the repairs would be made by July. He also reminded us that this was not a 4 or 5 star facility, but he would not have a problem with his mother staying there, but would have a couple of months earlier.
We did not feel comfortable enough to try the food at the breakfast bar which consisted of nearly empty cereal containers.
I was anxious to speak to Ginger upon check-out to ask why I had been deceived, only to find it was her day off. Would not ever stay at this facility again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Been to Super 8 Kalamazoo? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Super 8 Kalamazoo

Address: 618 Maple Hill Drive, Off US 131 Exit 38A, Kalamazoo, MI 49009-1032
Location: United States > Michigan > Kalamazoo County > Kalamazoo
Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Hotel Class:2 star — Super 8 Kalamazoo 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Super 8 Kalamazoo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Kalamazoo Super Eight
Kalamazoo Super 8
Super Eight Kalamazoo

If you own or manage Super 8 Kalamazoo, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.