“Good Stay but rude staff” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Four Points by Sheraton Kalamazoo to your Saves list
Expedia.com Orbitz.com
Four Points by Sheraton Kalamazoo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3600 E Cork St, Kalamazoo, MI 49001 (Formerly Clarion Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #7 of 31 hotels in Kalamazoo
Wisconsin
“Good Stay but rude staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We checked in with a large group of parents/daughters. They knew we were checking in but, didnt have enough desk clerks on hand so we waited a half hour in line to check in. I was not overly upset but regular hotel patrons who were trying to check in were.

Upon checking in our desk clerk forgot to give me my breakfast voucher. I didn't realize this until I got up into my room. Went back down and asked the other desk clerk for our voucher explained the other desk clerk forgot. She kept saying she would have to wait to speak to the other girl who was on break. Ask her what? I said she forgot and I wasn't trying to get two vouchers. She made me feel like she didnt believe me. Oh it wasn't that she said. She just needed to check. Basically I felt I was treated like I was trying to scam another voucher from them. Later on I called down and asked about getting my voucher and she said oh yes she asked the other desk clerk and she admitted she had forgotten and would now send it up. So, yes she didn't trust me. Nice way to treat your hotel guest.
The room was clean and pillows nice. Bathroom clean. Heater very noisy on and off all night long. Walls are paper thin. You can hear everything in the rooms next to you. So if your next to loud people forget it no sleep for you.
Breakfast was very underwhelming for what they charge. Need more variety.

• Stayed November 2012

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Overall: Nice renovated property, excellent staff, great common areas, good pool area

Nice recently renovated property, really good staff, decent rooms. We ran into a couple small problems and had a couple requests, and the staff handled these quickly and with a smile. They seemed to care, and it was much appreciated. We enjoyed our stay quite a bit and will be back.

Fairly extensive conference and common areas. Larger and more comfortable lobby than expected in a Four Points. Almost a sprawling, expansive feel to the 1st floor common areas. Small ‘general store’ area with snacks adjacent to front desk, reasonable prices. Nice little family room / library nook with 2 new Dell all-in-one computer workstations, large flat-panel TV, library books and faux fireplace. Another large area with a few couches arranged around a large TV, off the breakfast buffet serving area. Overall, several different spacious places to sit down, talk, hang out, watch TV, surf the internet in the common areas.

The common areas seemed pretty busy on Saturday night with company holiday parties, wedding reception, and the like.

Hotel has a somewhat modern look to the décor, which we liked. Most everything looked brand new. I thought the hotel was a new build, but a few things such as the pool and the showers didn’t look totally new. The staff told me they had been a Sheraton Four Points since April. Clearly, almost everything had been totally renovated.

Bar and restaurant on the property, called Potter's. Small bar area, but looks sharp. Restaurant area is divided by a large half-wall into 2 good-sized areas. The lounge area nearer to the bar includes a family room style area with a huge (60"?) TV and 3 couches arranged around it. Restaurant area has several large TVs mounted high on walls. Overall a pleasant place. Bartender gave me 2 sets of silverware and steak knives on Saturday night because Applebee's didn't give us any plasticware with our take-out. Decent menu with some variety and interesting selections including a few fish, chicken, or pasta entrees as well as burgers, sandwiches, and salads

Pricing for meals and room service seemed very reasonable. We ordered a couple desserts and they were brought promptly, within 15 minutes as promised. Nice presentation for both, too.

Buffet breakfast is $9.75 for adults. Kids eat free with adult. Would prefer free breakfast, but the price wasn’t bad. Overall a pretty good spread, a bit better than average for this type of property. Oatmeal, sausage, scrambled eggs, bacon, seasoned potatoes – all were better than typical buffet fare at hotels of this caliber. A few more fruit options than one would expect in wintertime here, which was appreciated. Very few others at breakfast while we were there (9-10am Sunday). The server was very helpful. My kid saw me peel the sticker off an apple and asked the server if they had washed the apples. He acknowledged they probably hadn’t, and took the apple back to wash it. He brought it back and thanked us for bringing this to his attention, so that now the apples are all clean and looking shiny. We took an unscheduled potty break while picking out food from the buffet. Waffle machine was out of mix; server went back to fill it up and made our waffle and brought it to our table while we were away at the bathroom. I don’t expect this type of helpful, friendly, extra-mile service at a property of this class.

Front desk staff very cheerful and professional. 3 staff behind the desk on check-in around 5pm Sat.

Had booked a cash + points stay, 2 queen beds. At check-in, we changed our mind to a king bed room. This was handled seamlessly. Staffer heard my kid talking about the pool and suggested she put us in a room near the pool. It was 4th floor, but at the end of the hall and near the elevator that dropped right near the pool and exercise area. Room keys didn't work. Went back downstairs for new keys. Staffer said this wasn't the first issue she'd heard about today with one of the key machines, so she wisely used the other machine for our replacement keys 'so there is no chance of having any more problems with this.' Smart.

Room was nice. Average sized. Seemed very clean, though I didn’t inspect all the nooks and crannies. Slightly sparse in terms of furnishings. Comfortable bed. Desk with modern chair, metal with red leather (vinyl?). Comfy chair in corner. 32" LCD TV with channel lineup much better than average (60 channels, including Showtime and ESPN U). Mr. Coffee single-cup coffee maker. No fridge or microwave. Dual outlets on several table lamps, but other than that no special connectivity to the TV, etc. Free wi-fi. Approximately 10 different access points available -- nice to see this property is transmitting/repeating a wi-fi signal from several places, so coverage presumably should be good throughout the property. Connection speed seemed good. Streamed a sporting event on espn3.com and most of the time the indicated video quality (dependent on connection speed and local machine processing power) was 4 bars out of 5 -- a good result. Speed test performed 3 times on www.dslreports.com Sunday 11am. Numbers varied a bit -- presumably because of other users drawing some of the available bandwidth. Tests yielded 13.6 MB down, 3.6 MB up 1st try, 10.5 MB down, 2.5 MB up 2nd try, 7.2 MB down, 3.5 MB up 3rd try. Very good numbers. ISP is Charter.

Electrical problem in our room Sunday morning: On our way out the door for breakfast in the hotel, tried plugging in a device to the outlet on the desk lamp. It wouldn't fit. Jiggled the outlet with my fingers and it sparked and smoked and the lights in the room went out. Problem was resolved while we were downstairs eating breakfast and everything was working again when we returned to the room.

Bathroom was nicely done. Granite counter with corner sink and shelves for towels underneath. Mirror had wood frame, but the trim work was sloppy and in need of minor repair. Some minor dirt in the grout, but nothing too disconcerting. Did not see a retractable clothesline in the shower as many other properties provide. Shampoo, shower gel, and conditioner liquid dispensers mounted in the shower/tub. This is the first hotel I’ve noticed this. My kid thought it was cool, but more upscale travelers may not like it.

No noise problems were noted in our room. In fact, we never heard anybody. Hotel may not have been very busy this weekend, except for parties/meetings. We hardly encountered anyone in the hallways or going in/out of their rooms.

Pool area was nice. No hot tub, but the pool was quite a bit larger than normal for this type of property – approximately 30 x 30 feet. Full-wall windows on 3 sides. The attached men’s and women’s restrooms were newer and each had one large single-shower stall. Air temperature was warm. Water temperature was very warm. Pool water felt a bit under-chlorinated. We swam twice and were the only ones in the pool area. No towels in pool area on our first dip; caught up with a housekeeper near the elevator who cheerfully told us she’d bring some towels in. Within 5 minutes she delivered 2 big stacks of towels.

Exercise room looked good. Equipment seemed new/newer. LifeFitness brand. High-end commercial stuff that should accommodate serious athletes.

Location is very near the I-94 expressway, which is fairly convenient. Fast food chains are within walking distance. Some nicer chain restaurants within a 1-2 mile drive. Freeway noise was not a problem for us.

Overall, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
FourPointsKalamazoo, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Kalamazoo, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
This is such a fantastic review. We are so glad that you had such a phenomenal stay with us and are so pleased that you were able to fully utilize all of our amenities! The photographs that you captured truly embody the warm and cozy atmosphere of our rooms, pool, common areas and Potter’s.
I am personally pleased that the front desk was quick to respond and recover any issues that may have arisen during your stay.

Please do reach out the next time you and your family are in town, whether for business or for pleasure- we would love to welcome you back and hope to do so again soon!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Booked this hotel as a half way point stop on a road trip home for the holidays. Great value and one of the best beds I have ever slept on. Only $25 for our dog to join us. You would never know the hotel allows pets, it was as clean as any other interstate hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room nearby the elevators or stairwell. This allows you easy access in and out to let your...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your nice review after your recent stay with us.

We are thrilled that you and your pooch enjoyed your visit here in Kalamazoo and will pass along the nice comments to the staff.

We are fortunate to have lots of green space for the four legged friends to roam, making us an awesome location for dogs!!

We Sincerly hope we get the chance to welcome you back in the near future!
Kalamazoo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

When traveling, housekeeping is my biggest concern. I would have to say this is one of the cleanest hotels that I have stayed in. The breakfast was good, and rooms were updated. The lobby seemed to be updated as well. The only downside of this hotel is that it seemed like the walls were thin, as it was a little hard to find complete peace and quite. Would stay again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at our hotel. We are thrilled that you found our facilities accommodating and will be sure to share your positive feedback with our staff.

At the Four Points by Sheraton Kalamazoo we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing to stay with us during your adventures to Kalamazoo.

We hope that you are able to visit us again soon!
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stayed at four point during a business trip week of 12/3. Extremely knowledgebable and friendly staff. The rooms are very clean and newly updated/furnished. Considering I spent a couploe of days in Battlecreek MI prioir to coming here, the diffrence was night and day. I will never stay in Battle creek again and would rather drive 20 mins from tis hotel,

Free Breakfast, swimming pool, gym, wifi, All very nice.

If I had to give a constructive feedback I would suggest in room pay per view movies.

Kudos to management and Four Points. Will definitely return and suggest folks at my company to stay here in future trips.

Room Tip: I beleive the entire hotel has been recently renovated and all rooms havea very new and clean feel...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your fantastic review! We take great pride in providing exceptional service that leads to great experiences.

We look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back in the near future!

Until then, Safe travels!!
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

I stay in the area every year visiting family and have stayed in many of the hotels at this exit. This one was uncceptable.
Pros: the lobby is attractive.
Cons: Numerous. I have never been in a hotel with such paper-thin walls. We could here everything in the room next to us and even feel the movement of their bed through our wall. Towels had stains and hairs on them. Staff was friendly but indifferent about customer service (e.g. getting new towels was a wait). Very noisy HVAC, but at least it drowned out the other noises. All in all not worth the price.

• Stayed November 2012
FourPointsKalamazoo, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Kalamazoo, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience with us. We appreciate all feedback we receive.
I have expressed your concerns with our Housekeeping team regarding the issues that you experienced during your stay. Consistency and quality within all of our guest rooms is of the highest importance to our team and this is not taken lightly.
On behalf of my entire hotel I apologize that your impression of our hotel was tarnished by these events.

When you find yourself in Kalamazoo again, we would love the opportunity to make it right and have you stay with us!
Detroit, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Spent one night in Kalamazoo with the Detroit Skating Club Beginner Synchro team. Competition was taking place a stones throw from the hotel at K-Wings Arena. Had a block of 15 plus rooms reserved way in advance. Skating time at competition was abruptly changed, and the hotel management and staff worked very hard to keep us in the same type of rooms that we had originally reserved. Kept in constant communication with me to make things work. ALL staff was excellent. Great facility. Provided the team with practice room and a special room for our team dinner. These competitions draw teams from all over the country, so to be able to stay with these folks and to be treated so well was appreciated by all. As soon as date for 2013 is set, we will book here again.

Room Tip: All rooms were super. By the way the beds were great! First time I slept well my first night in a st...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at our hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our facilities and will be sure to share your positive feedback with ALL our staff. We love when the teams are in town as the youth bring an air of fun that fits our hotel perfectly!

At the Four Points by Sheraton Kalamazoo we pride ourselves on providing authentic hospitality and superior service and we thank you for choosing to stay with us during your trips to Kalamazoo and look forward to having you back next year!!

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Kalamazoo? Share your experiences!