“Wonderful Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Chicago, Illinois
“Wonderful Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Every time I come to Kalamazoo, this is the only hotel I choose to stay at. If there is any thing you need, all you have to do is ask. The staff exceeded my expectations. I stayed there last weekend and the guy that checked me in was EXTREMELY helpful and patient as he helped me through an issue with my credit card. I almost cried when it first declined, but with a smile and an adorable southern accent, he told me not to worry, he would try something else... and wouldn't you know it, it went through. The next day, I was delighted when he knocked on our door and asked if we needed anything. I was impressed by his politeness and we talked while he cleaned my room. He told me a story about when he was in the Army and it brightened my day. When someone goes out of their way to make you feel like one of a kind, it really means a lot.

Room Tip: First floor, closest to the lobby.
Ryan F, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We are happy to have made your trip a pleasant one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here for about a week and the staff was always very friendly. The breakfast was basic, but good and there is an outdoor pool. The building is older, but has been remodeled. There are quite a few weekly tenants and they can be a bit loud, but everyone was friendly. For the price, it was a good value and a very good location for us.

If you want something more upscale, you will pay quite a bit more in this area.

Ryan F, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for the review and come back to see us again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I've been to many economy hotels being a businessman on a travel budget, and this hotel was pretty decent. I had to stop driving through the night on my way to Detroit, this hotel was right off the highway, so I stopped, the clerk at the desk checked me in fast and showed me how to get to my room, and even directed me to best places to park. When I got to my room it was mostly clean, a few spots on the carpet looked iffy but not nasty, bathrooms were tiny but im a bigger guy. The tv was good but didn't kick on right away, but it worked good all night for my ESPN fix. There were no microwaves or fridges, but the big guy on desk said he could store a few things for me in his pantry freezer/fridge. And a microwave in the lobby, which was fine because i needed the exercise. The complimentary breakfast was slim but had choices, OJ and 2 cereals and oatmeal type stuff,a modest breakfast,i love bacon! The lobby seemed clean, not dirty like the last few stays i had at other hotels. They had an outdoor pool, i did not get to enjoy it though as it opened at 10am, and i was checking out at 9. All in all, the beds were decent for a big guy who sleeps terribly and service was worth it. A couple quirks but passable as value overcame the minor things that the hotel couldn't mitigate like birds chirping outside and loud trucks starting in morning. For an economy hotel, I'd give it a 4/5...would stay again if im this side of the country again.

• Stayed June 2013
Ryan F, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. If you are ever in the area come back and see us again..
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

First room assigned had been smoked in so requested another. Second room was OK but the carpet and bathroom was NOT vacuumed. Lots of crude on the floor. Friends we travelled with had the same problem and were assigned an acceptable room after three trys. Staff was very professional and accomodating - but very apologetic.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ryan F, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for the review and sorry we did not meet your expectations. Come back and let us make it up to you.
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for about a week for a trade show. The room came with several issues: no light bulb in a lamp, and the carpets made our socks BLACK. We requested that the carpets be shampooed and they just came in and sprayed something on the carpets that made me shoes really slippery. I went into the bathroom area from the carpet and almost slipped on the floor and hit my head. I grabbed the wall to break my fall. The room keys expired daily which meant I had to go to the office daily to get them rekeyed. It seemed like that was not a surprise to the staff like it was a daily thing they dealt with the electronics in the hotel. Kept room keys away from cell phones & magnets to make sure they held their information but that did not work. Paid more for a refrigerator and microwave which I was unaware of until we checked out. Had a vendor send me a shipment next day air during the week and I was not aware of the package until Sunday night when I was coming down to have my room rekeyed again. Apparently my package was sitting there for days and NO one from the desk thought enough to call my room and leave me a message or call my cell to tell me the package was there. You would think that a package coming in next day air might be important to the received of the package!! The Internet took 1-3 minutes to load a page. If you need the internet use your cell phone as my 3G was faster than the hotel. House keeping was a hit and miss. One day we had our room cleaned the other not so much. This hotel has a lot of building and staff issues that needs work.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ryan F, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.
Spring Valley, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have stayed at an Econo Lodge hotel before, and this was by the far the worst. When we entered the room there was a musty damp smell that hit us. The whole hotel looked liked it need a lot of work. Everything seemed worn out. The pool had cigarette butts in it, every time we took the kids swimming, no matter what time of day it was. The walls were paper thin, so you could hear everything that was going on in the rooms next to you. The maid service was lacking. One day they did not even put a garbage bag back in the basket. The maids did not wear any uniforms of any type to help you determine if they should be in your room. The breakfast was just cereal and orange juice. My kids stated that the orange juice tasted like soap. We got to watch other hotel guest relieve themselves in the bushes next to our car. One night a group of thirty people partied on the door step so people could not get into the hotel. There was a drug dealer that stood on the corner by the hotel and sold drugs most of the time we were there. I understand the drug dealer is not related to the hotel in any way, but it just added to the trip. On check out, the two clerks behind the desk, neither one in a uniform, spent the whole time complaining to me about the hours they work. We did try to get another room at other hotels, but could not find one. All of our clothes that were clean, still needed to be washed because of the smell of the room got into the. And to top it all off, the beds sucked, they were hard and uncomfortable and made sleeping difficult. I would have slept on the floor, but the smell from the carpet made that impossible. We will not be staying at this hotel next we are in town.

Room Tip: There are no goods rooms in the building The hotel across the streel
Ryan F, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your review as it will help us to better improve. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations.
Huron, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I travel a lot each year for work and I love value as much as the next person. This location overall is pretty much what I've come to expect from EconoLodge. The most disconcerting issue were the bathroom and the lack of fridges or cenntral location of an ice machine. The shower area in Rm 267 screams lack of cleaning as most evidenced by the dark mildew in the shower tile grout. Between that and the slow running drain, I couldn't wait to get out of it. There are no fridges and the ice machine was quite a distance from my room. The lack of a real desk chair was also disappointing to regular road traveler. Lastly, I would recommend to the management that they repair the central doors into the rooms as most of them have the appearance of someone trying to kick them in. Not exactly the safest feeling ever. although I had no trouble.

Ovell, it was not that bad, especially for $52.00 with AAA discount. I just think most of my areas of criticism could be easily and pretty cost effectively fixed.

Room Tip: If they don't have a room with a fridge for yo, not sure that they any, ask for one close to the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ryan F, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. If you are ever in the area again come back and see us.

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!