“Better than ever!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
New Yorker in NC
“Better than ever!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My husband and I stay at this hotel a few times a year when visiting family. We started in 2007. Each time we stayed, we encountered some type of issue. But, the last two years, up to and including our last stay in late December 2012 things have improved so much. Loved our last few stays!! They have done renovations which are beautiful in the lobby. We have stayed in many types of rooms and suites and we always find them well equipped and comfortable. The hotel staff is really super nice and helpful. Any issue we had (which were very very minor) were handled professionally and quickly. Radisson also offers a great rewards program, Club Carlson which enables you to earn free nights pretty quickly. Additionally, there are always great promotions and once you find your favorite room type, you can watch weekly for specials-- sometimes our room ends up costing 2/3rds of what it would have! The location cannot be beat and there a little to no other options in downtown Kalamazoo. You are walking distance to many bars, boutiques and restaurants. Kalamazoo has put a lot in to downtown and we would spend more time down there if we could, but we are usually in town spending our time with family. Why didn't I give this hotel a 5? Two reasons- the first is just based on relativity and the eye of the beholder. I have stayed in luxury hotels that are just super special and I save my 5s for those. In this level of hotel, I would give it a 5! The second reason is Burdicks-- there has to be some type of improvement in making room for hotel guest versus regulars. The bar is constantly packed with a long wait and if you just want to have quick night cap and snack there is often a wait, and it is super crowded and loud. I suppose it depends when you are in town, but this has been our experience probably because we are in town at the holidays and its also the only bar open on Sunday nights. I'm sure this will improve with time and that said, room service is great and fast. I would recommend this hotel to any friends or family visiting the area. The hotel is clean, the rooms are modern and updated, the service is great.

Room Tip: Join club carlson and watch for specials, plus earn points towards free rooms and upgrades. A great...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

254 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Goodrich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel at least twice a year for about 15 years and we continue to love it! The staff is incredibly friendly, down to earth and accommodating! The hotel is very clean. Although I am not a huge buffet person, the new breakfast buffet is fresh, healthy, and offers all options you could want! The rooms are great! We love the Manhatten Suite--just a little more money but well worth it! Love the restaurants, stores, pool area and spa, but most importantly it is centrally located to many different restaurant, bars and shops:)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed her for three nights for family occasion (graduation) so it was very busy...however the location was great, food was good, staff were excellent, all of them. It is right at the heart of Kalamazoo which in itself was a great place. This is a hidden gem in the North Mid West. When Obamas in town he stays here I believe.

Room Tip: If you can pay a bit more the 9th floor has some special rooms....make sure it is one wih a bathtub...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Great stay with family and friends. We were impressed by the pool area which included a large swimming area with a waterfall, whirlpool, sauna, fitness center and spa. The staff really went out of their way to be accomodating - especially Ashley who checked us in and got us a room right across the hall from our friends. Thank you!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was put up in this hotel while performing in the Kalamazoo area. At first I didn't like the detached garage arrangement, but that was not an issue really. What I found out was that a hotel is much more than the combination of amenities, it is the staff that makes the hotel. I was hoarse when I got there, and proceeded to get pretty sick while I was there. EVERYONE was so nice, so hospitable, and really tried to help me heal so I could do my job. The spa (thanks Kelly) was excellent. I used their steam room which helped my voice a lot. Even the housekeeping staff (thanks Brittany) left a note saying she hoped I felt better and thanked me for the tip. The Burdick's for Breakfast bar is great, and the waitress and chef both made tea for me. Everywhere I turned I was met with kindness. This is a great hotel. Felt like home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Perfect hotel for what it's designed to be. Price is probably a bit much for the demographic in the surrounding area though. Very spacious and very clean, beautiful rooms. Great decor throughout the hotel. Great service and atmosphere. No complaints.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Michelle M, Front Office at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for the compliments! We are glad to hear that you are happy with the renovations and enjoyed the new guestrooms. Have a safe and happy holiday season.

Looking forward to seeing you again,
Michelle and the Kalamazoo Radisson team
Green Bay, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

No complaints at this very nice hotel in Kalamazoo. It is the nicest hotel in Kalamazoo with an indoor pool and nice workout area. The hotel has a number of nice restaurants and a bar. The only issue is price which can be high.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Michelle M, Front Office at Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for awarding us as the nicest hotel in Kalamazoo! We are happy to hear your thoughts, especially as someone who as tried other hotels in Kalamazoo.

We are running lots of specials and promotional rates for this season. Please call us and we can always work with you to get you the best stay possible!

Thanks for your time,
Michelle and the downtown Kalamazoo Radisson team

Been to Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center? Share your experiences!