“Dirty, Awful, Stolen luggage” 1 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kalamazoo
Horizon Inn & Suites
Save Saved
You added Horizon Inn & Suites to your Saves list
3522 Sprinkle Road, Kalamazoo, MI 49001 (Formerly "Days Inn")   |
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Dallas, TX
“Dirty, Awful, Stolen luggage”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

I booked this hotel and stayed in it before I found out about this website. A friend pointed me to this site after she heard how awful my stay was. This hotel is no longer Days Inn. They just recently changed to Horizon Inn because they broke away from the Days Inn chain and are now privately owned.

First of all, I completely agree with the two reviews already listed on this hotel. It was dirty, sleezy, and I actually thought it was a run down, closed hotel when I first drove up. The exterior of the hotel, lobby, and hallways were absolutely terrible. It definitely gave the impression of a pay by the hour hotel. The rooms look like they have been renovated recently but that did not make up for my experience.

The first night I got there, my room had less than a quarter of a roll of toilet paper in the bathroom with no spare rolls. I ran out and had to use some kleenex. I assumed it would be replaced the next morning when housekeeping cleaned the room. Housekeeping never came.

I had booked the room for 3 nights through Expedia. On the afternoon of my third night, I got back to the room, opened the door and saw that the room had been cleaned and ALL of my belongings were gone. The bags, the clothes, my bathroom items, EVERYTHING. I walked up to the front desk to let them know that my room had been emptied. The lady acted like it was no big deal and said the maids had packed up my stuff because I was supposed to check out that day and hadn't removed my stuff. I did NOT check out that day. I still had a reservation for an additional night. In addition, why did my key still work if they thought I had checked out. How many people had a key to my room while I stayed there, since they are not turning off the keys upon checkout?

I asked her why nobody called my phone to ask why my belongings were still in the room when I was supposed to check out. I didn't really get any answers. When she brought my stuff from the office, I found that a bag was missing that contained all of my print-outs with reservation/flight information, my car rental contract, my MP3 player, 2 pairs of jeans, 4 t-shirts, 2 pairs of shoes, my shampoo, and my hairspray. The lady at the front desk really didn't care that my stuff was gone, and said she would call me if they happened to find it.

I called Expedia and they faxed my itenerary that had been sent to the hotel to make the reservation. It showed that I did reserve 3 nights. I tried to get the hotel to look up why they only had me down for 2 nights. They had lost all of my reservation information. They blamed the mix-up on Expedia saying that it happens all the time. However, Expedia always showed the correct check-out date.

Ultimately I had to call the police that night and file a report. It has been a week since my stay. I still have not been able to get in touch with the manager or the owner.

A couple days later when I called to try to speak with a manager, the lady at the front desk was the same one that had been working when all of my bags were cleared out of the room. When she wouldn't let me talk with the manager, I told her that I had filed a report with the police. She called me 4 minutes later claiming that she found my bag. She said that she is sending the bag back to me with her own money. However she continues not to allow us to talk with the manager. I still do not have my bag back. I have not received anything from the hotel like a refund, official apology, etc.

Please stay away from this hotel.

• Liked — The day that I left
  • Disliked — Hotel staff taking my property
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Families
Couples
Business
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

This is probably the worst hotel that I've ever stayed in. While making the reservation I was informed that the pool was closed. Considering that we were only staying one evening, this was not a problem, however, when listing this with all of the other issues it gives the hotel a very poor image.

We were told that the price of the rooms started at $49.99 and went up incrementally the later in the evening. I was also told if I said that I had been told that I would get the room for $49.99 then that's what I would pay. This did not happen and we paid over $70 for the room. I might also add that the hotel was no where near capacity.

The hall way carpets were ripped and unclean, the ice machine was broken and the air conditioning in the lobby didn't work.

In the room, there was trash behind the AC/Heating unit, the shower faucets came out of the walls when you turned the water on, the carpets had been vaccumed ony in the high traffic areas and there was obvious dirt along the walls, the walls themselves were dirty, punctured and had liquid marks on them, the bathroom floor tiles were dirty, the wall tiles were rust stained, the shower curtains were rust stained, the toilet seat was so marred and scratched that it was hard to tell if it was clean. The cover for the tissue box was dirty and the towels were rust stained and appeared dirty.

I've tried contacting the manager, however, it seems that once he learned that I was unhappy with my visit he told me that he needed to get some information from the hotel and he would get back with me. Obviously that hasn't happened.

• Stayed July 2006
Jenison, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2006

We had a large group who stayed at the Days Inn on Sprinkle Road for 1 night in early March. We arrived on a charter bus on March 10. I cannot comment on the staff as I never saw anyone after check-in. I had the opportunity to see 7 different rooms because of our large group, and each room was worse than the one before. Several rooms had no phones or alarm clocks. One room had a dead cockroach squished to the wall. The hallways were riddled with holes and falling drywall. Lights were knocked out in some hallways. It appeared to be under construction. They should have considered closing during this time.

One person called us on his cell phone from the room next to mine in a panic because he was locked in the bathroom. The door would not open. It took us several minutes to get him out. In that same room, a child was jumping on the bed and consequently ripped off the covers. There was an enormous blood stain on the matress! We tried to call for a new room, but no one answered the phone and not a person in sight at the front desk.

Another person from our group had a cookie lodged between the bedsheets and matress. I cannot believe this place has not been closed on a health code violation. I agree with a previous review: sleep in your car first!

I use and trust the ratings from tripadvisor and feel I should pass along my comments. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed March 2006
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2005

The first thing we noticed was that there must be a major problem with the roof. Pieces of ceiling had fallen down in the hallway, and it looked like they had been there on the floor for days. In the room itself, the ceiling had brown patches possible from water discoloration. Since the A/C didn't work, we tried to open a window. Of course, the aluminum had seperated from the glass making it impossible to get any air.
The continental breakfast was sparse, at best. I got the last cookie, so i'm sorry if anyone else came after me that day. I'm sure there must be better places to stay in Kalamazoo than this. For $53, i think i got robbed.

• Stayed May 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2005

VERY DIRTY!!!!!!!!!! Worst hotel stay I've ever had. Very rude staff. A MAJOR health code violator if you ask me!

• Stayed March 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2004

Stayed here in March 2004 and think service and cleanliness could be improved. Bathroom counter had toothpaste on it and bathroom floor was sticky. Towels were very thin and there weren't enough although reservations were for 4 guests. Couldn't complain to the front desk because although it was around 9:30 pm the front desk person who checked us in was not at the desk when we went to voice our complaint.
We called the front desk a few more times that evening but there still was no answer. Had a nice breakfast I had to ask someone to bring more out. The place could use some cosmetic touch ups as well.

Keep in mind, the place was not busy--very few guests that evening.

Been to Horizon Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!