“OK Hotel, Tiny Parking Lot” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Chicago
“OK Hotel, Tiny Parking Lot”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed here for one night for a skating competition. The rooms were OK, a little tired looking, though they did have a microwave and a really big fridge.

The parking lot was VERY small, so if the hotel is booked, people will need to park across the street (4 lanes of traffic!) in the parking lot of a former Burger King. Make sure to put your parking permit on your dashboard, though. Teammates told me that they overheard a gentleman at the front desk complaining because his car had been towed.

Not a lot of restaurants in the immediate vicinity. I had to leave the hotel before the complimentary breakfast started, but I heard from other families that it was good.

The front desk staff was pleasant every time I dealt with them (over the phone to change my reservation, at check-in and at check-out).

We received a discounted rate for our group, but even still, I don't think the value is there. To save some money on our trip, I stayed at a different Kalamazoo hotel our first night that was more updated and was almost half the price, even with the group discount we received at the Comfort Inn.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Shelby Township, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Overnight trip to Kalamazoo. Hotel room was clean and fairly spacious. We reserved a room with a king bed and was surprised to find a king bed and also a hot tub in our room. Also had a microwave and refrigerator. Asked for an extra hour to check out in the morning and was given it...no questions asked. Only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because there is very little parking and we had to use the empty Burger King lot across the street to park our car (the hotel gave a note to put on our dashboard). Don't really like walking across a busy street to get to the hotel or leaving the car unattended in a dark lot.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Plano, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Close to the university. Rooms were VERY small. I was made to feel like a pest because I wanted toilet paper and a lamp (with working lightbulbs) on my desk / table. Breakfast (do-it-yourself) was good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Warren, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

To qualify myself, I travel frequently for business, and stay in hotel rooms about 1/3 of the nights per year. My company booked me into this hotel out of default, because the normal hotel I stay at was booked up. My first impression was that this hotel is in a more run down part of town. There were some little oddities that I encountered here that I have never seen before that put me on edge. The type of things that if you live a large portion of your nights in hotels like I do, raised my eyebrows and made me go, "hmmmmm?". It is apparent that there is enough of an indigent problem in the area that they have to post "No Public Bathroom" signs on the front door (I have NEVER seen this at a nice hotel before), and they lock up the breakfast area to keep people from wandering in, presumably to forage for food, so if you need cutlery for anything, you have to take it out of a "pencil holder" at the front desk.

Another anomaly was the fact I had to put a "parking pass" (like if you were camping) on the dash of my car. I have never seen that before either. Troubles with unauthorized people parking in the lot?

If you are traveling for business and need a reliable internet connection, this is NOT the hotel for you. The wifi is TERRIBLE! It goes up and down every minute or two. Every time you log into the "free" wifi, you are either presented with a 30 second commercial or an online survey. If you do not click the right response, you are not taken to the Internet, but you are made to have to sit through ANOTHER commercial in most cases. With the net going up and down and up and down, you can expect to see a LOT of commercials on their "free" wifi.

When I complained at the desk, the response was "yeah, that's our internet. I can get you a network cable to wire in, though". I told him that did me no good with an iPad. I finally did get a CAT6 patch cable out of my car and hooked my laptop up. Their wired network is just as bad as their wifi, Good luck if you want to watch anything on NetFlix on any of your devices!

On the positive side, the room was sufficiently clean, and in good repair. The hallways and lobby are also in good condition. There is coffee available in the lobby almost all of the time. The staff seems pleasant enough. The breakfast in the morning is OK. The same basic stuff served by all mediocre hotel chains.

One other minor complaint... I have back problems and like to soak it in a hot tub for pain relief. The tubs are TINY...not even wide enough to accommodate the breadth of my shoulders. I am 6'2", 250lbs... not a giant, but a big ol' strapping farm boy. If I cannot fit, someone of considerable size would never make it in and out of the tub.

I guess It is an OK place to stay if you just need a bed for the night, and nothing else is available but I would not use it as a destination getaway. Like I said, the questionable neighborhood was enough to make me pause, since I have had my car broken into at hotels in MUCH nicer areas.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
SUDBURY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed two nights while visiting the University. It is in close proximity to the University which is helpful but the area is fairly sketchy and we did not feel safe walking around.
We had no issues with the staff and they were helpful directing us to where we needed to go.
Breakfast is included and we felt we paid a fair rate for the room. The hotel does not have a restaurant, but we went to the bar and grill next door and it was good.
We probably won't stay here again as we like to be able to walk around and just didn't feel comfortable doing that here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

After reading many of the reviews on this board, I had some trepidation about staying at this hotel. I was pleased, therefore, to have a very different experience. If found the hotel staff to be very friendly and accomodating. I was given a whirlpool tub room at the regular room price, as they were sold out of the latter.

The room was spacious with a refrigerator and microwave. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was nice. The WiFi was excellent throughout the hotel (ask for the pass code). As others have mentioned, this hotel has a very nice sports bar (Up and Under) next door and a lovely Italian restaurant across the street. There were other places within easy walking distance to eat and a convenience store a block or so away to buy some things to stock the refrigerator.

The included breakfast was nice each morning with a nice mix of breads, sausage, bacon, scrambled egg patties, yogurt, and the like. It was a nice way to start each morning.

Overall, I had a very nice experience at a very good hotel in a great location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Farmington Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

When my husband booked this hotel for his weekend business trip I was quite hesitant to tag along after reading the prior reviews. We were also bringing our 1 year old son with us.

The young gentleman who checked us in was pleasant. We had no issues with the staff. The elevator was out of service for a few hours that day and the young gentleman actually offered to help my husband and I with our son's stroller up the stairs. Our room was your average Comfort Inn room and true to the pictures on the website. The room was clean. It was spacious and the microwave came in handy for warming bottles. The crib we requested was already set up in the room with a clean crib sheet. I appreciated this since I have had problems at other hotels in the past with having the crib delivered.

When parking in the hotel lot you must put a piece of paper in your car windshield that the hotel staff gives you otherwise you may get towed. The hotel is near train tracks. I only heard one train in the early evening hours. The hotel is quite a few blocks from the Kalamazoo mall area but there are a few restaurants within walking distance.

The only complaint I have is that the toilet doesn't have a toilet seat cover. I had to keep the bathroom door shut the entire time I was in the room with my son so he wouldn't put his hands in the toilet.

I did smell smoke at one point while we were in our room. We are non-smokers. I remembered the prior reviews regarding the smoking charges. We did not encounter a problem with this.

A continental breakfast is served in the morning. Juice, coffee, cereal, eggs, sausage, muffins, yogurt and make your waffles were available. It's nothing special taste wise but it was convenient.

No pool but it does have an exercise room with a few machines.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Inn Kalamazoo? Share your experiences!