To qualify myself, I travel frequently for business, and stay in hotel rooms about 1/3 of the nights per year. My company booked me into this hotel out of default, because the normal hotel I stay at was booked up. My first impression was that this hotel is in a more run down part of town. There were some little oddities that I encountered here that I have never seen before that put me on edge. The type of things that if you live a large portion of your nights in hotels like I do, raised my eyebrows and made me go, "hmmmmm?". It is apparent that there is enough of an indigent problem in the area that they have to post "No Public Bathroom" signs on the front door (I have NEVER seen this at a nice hotel before), and they lock up the breakfast area to keep people from wandering in, presumably to forage for food, so if you need cutlery for anything, you have to take it out of a "pencil holder" at the front desk.
Another anomaly was the fact I had to put a "parking pass" (like if you were camping) on the dash of my car. I have never seen that before either. Troubles with unauthorized people parking in the lot?
If you are traveling for business and need a reliable internet connection, this is NOT the hotel for you. The wifi is TERRIBLE! It goes up and down every minute or two. Every time you log into the "free" wifi, you are either presented with a 30 second commercial or an online survey. If you do not click the right response, you are not taken to the Internet, but you are made to have to sit through ANOTHER commercial in most cases. With the net going up and down and up and down, you can expect to see a LOT of commercials on their "free" wifi.
When I complained at the desk, the response was "yeah, that's our internet. I can get you a network cable to wire in, though". I told him that did me no good with an iPad. I finally did get a CAT6 patch cable out of my car and hooked my laptop up. Their wired network is just as bad as their wifi, Good luck if you want to watch anything on NetFlix on any of your devices!
On the positive side, the room was sufficiently clean, and in good repair. The hallways and lobby are also in good condition. There is coffee available in the lobby almost all of the time. The staff seems pleasant enough. The breakfast in the morning is OK. The same basic stuff served by all mediocre hotel chains.
One other minor complaint... I have back problems and like to soak it in a hot tub for pain relief. The tubs are TINY...not even wide enough to accommodate the breadth of my shoulders. I am 6'2", 250lbs... not a giant, but a big ol' strapping farm boy. If I cannot fit, someone of considerable size would never make it in and out of the tub.
I guess It is an OK place to stay if you just need a bed for the night, and nothing else is available but I would not use it as a destination getaway. Like I said, the questionable neighborhood was enough to make me pause, since I have had my car broken into at hotels in MUCH nicer areas.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn Kalamazoo Hotel
- Comfort Inn Kalamazoo Hotel Kalamazoo
- Kalamazoo Comfort Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Kalamazoo's central business district, the Comfort Inn® hotel is within walking distance of Kalamazoo College. This Kalamazoo hotel is minutes from Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, the Kalamazoo Valley Museum, Waldo Stadium and the Kalamazoo Civic Theatre.Additional nearby points of interest include:•Gilmore Car Museum•Wings Stadium•Air Zoo•Timber Ridge ski area•Binder Park ZooSeveral golf courses are minutes away. The hotel is just seconds from many shops, restaurants, parks and entertainment options.The hotel has the ideal location for college visits, business or for experiencing the fun of Kalamazoo's legendary festivals. Beautiful downtown Kalamazoo and all its charm are just steps from the hotel.Guests of this Kalamazoo hotel will enjoy amenities and features like:•Free high-speed Internet access in all rooms•Free local calls•Exercise roomYour Morning Breakfast is full of hot and delicious options, making breakfast at Comfort Inn the perfect way to start your day. Enjoy our free hot breakfast featuring eggs, meat, yogurt and fresh fruit, cereal and more, including your choice of hot waffle flavors!All guest rooms have coffee makers, irons, ironing boards, voice mail, hair dryers and cable television. In addition, some rooms come equipped with refrigerators and microwaves.The perfect location, excellent accommodations and affordable rates make the Comfort Inn hotel ideal for business and leisure travelers. Make us your home away from home when visiting the Kalamazoo area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Choice Hotels, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Comfort Inn Kalamazoo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.