“Close to University” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 31 hotels in Kalamazoo
SUDBURY
“Close to University”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed two nights while visiting the University. It is in close proximity to the University which is helpful but the area is fairly sketchy and we did not feel safe walking around.
We had no issues with the staff and they were helpful directing us to where we needed to go.
Breakfast is included and we felt we paid a fair rate for the room. The hotel does not have a restaurant, but we went to the bar and grill next door and it was good.
We probably won't stay here again as we like to be able to walk around and just didn't feel comfortable doing that here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

After reading many of the reviews on this board, I had some trepidation about staying at this hotel. I was pleased, therefore, to have a very different experience. If found the hotel staff to be very friendly and accomodating. I was given a whirlpool tub room at the regular room price, as they were sold out of the latter.

The room was spacious with a refrigerator and microwave. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was nice. The WiFi was excellent throughout the hotel (ask for the pass code). As others have mentioned, this hotel has a very nice sports bar (Up and Under) next door and a lovely Italian restaurant across the street. There were other places within easy walking distance to eat and a convenience store a block or so away to buy some things to stock the refrigerator.

The included breakfast was nice each morning with a nice mix of breads, sausage, bacon, scrambled egg patties, yogurt, and the like. It was a nice way to start each morning.

Overall, I had a very nice experience at a very good hotel in a great location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Farmington Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

When my husband booked this hotel for his weekend business trip I was quite hesitant to tag along after reading the prior reviews. We were also bringing our 1 year old son with us.

The young gentleman who checked us in was pleasant. We had no issues with the staff. The elevator was out of service for a few hours that day and the young gentleman actually offered to help my husband and I with our son's stroller up the stairs. Our room was your average Comfort Inn room and true to the pictures on the website. The room was clean. It was spacious and the microwave came in handy for warming bottles. The crib we requested was already set up in the room with a clean crib sheet. I appreciated this since I have had problems at other hotels in the past with having the crib delivered.

When parking in the hotel lot you must put a piece of paper in your car windshield that the hotel staff gives you otherwise you may get towed. The hotel is near train tracks. I only heard one train in the early evening hours. The hotel is quite a few blocks from the Kalamazoo mall area but there are a few restaurants within walking distance.

The only complaint I have is that the toilet doesn't have a toilet seat cover. I had to keep the bathroom door shut the entire time I was in the room with my son so he wouldn't put his hands in the toilet.

I did smell smoke at one point while we were in our room. We are non-smokers. I remembered the prior reviews regarding the smoking charges. We did not encounter a problem with this.

A continental breakfast is served in the morning. Juice, coffee, cereal, eggs, sausage, muffins, yogurt and make your waffles were available. It's nothing special taste wise but it was convenient.

No pool but it does have an exercise room with a few machines.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Baroda, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

This hotel is run by the worst customer service that I have ever experienced in my life. I was overcharged for my room, which according to the reviews here is not the first time. My room was $166, I was charged $174 plus another charge of $150. I called and spoke to Whitney, she said it was a mistake and that she would correct it. Instead, she charged me $150 TWO more times. This makes $624 that they have tied up from my account which then caused NSF fees from my bank. When I called to point this out and to get some restitution, Whitney was EXTREMELY rude and said the additional charges were for smoking in the room which I did not do. She insists that I did, I insist I did not, so she told me I had to call the NEXT day to talk to the GM. When I finally got Janice, the GM, on the phone, I can see where Whitney got her deplorable customer service training. The GM Janice was even more rude, completely condescending, called me a "liar" over the smoking accusation, told me to "stop speaking before I hang up" and that if indeed they had made an error "then that's what you get for smoking in my room."

I have never had such poor customer service in my life. I called the Choice Hotels Customer Relations and they were just as much of a joke; they cant do anything but refer the complaint back to the hotel GM - and if that is not good enough for you and you want to go above the GM then you need to contact the city Chamber of Commerce to find out who owns the hotel because Customer Relations doesn't know! And this was a Choice Hotels Customer Relations SUPERVISOR telling me this! Are your serious!?

As of right now, two of the $150 charges have been returned but GM Janice refuses to drop the third $150 charge, refuses to pay me the $62 dollars in NSF fees that I incurred from THEIR mistake, and refuses to comp my room cost for all of the trouble that this has been for me. I had better customer services at the Burger King across the street. I gave it a 1 out of 5 only because I cant score this place any lower.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, book somewhere else. The Customer Service here is beyond deplorable and th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

About 6 blocks from downtown with easy access. Also near Western Michigan University. We stayed overnight because we were seeing a Broadway show at Miller Auditorium. Sports bar next door and a good Italian restaurant across the street. Hotel is in an older neighborhood. No pool, but an exercise room if you want to work out. Great breakfast with waffles, eggs, sausage and bacon plus a big variety of cold items. Food was restocked as needed. Rooms clean. Staff friendly. Had everything we needed for a one night get away.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Checked out of a disgusting hotel and went to this Comfort Inn. There was only one room available and we grabbed it. Staff was very friendly, hotel clean and comfortable and they have a great continental breakfast. If you are ever in Kalamazoo, pay the extra money and stay there!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Downtown but off of "Downtown" by a few blocks. Limited parking on site could be a problem for some. Rooms were typical Comfort Inn.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Comfort Inn Kalamazoo? Share your experiences!