“Needs attention” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #137 of 291 Restaurants in Kalamazoo
Ames, Iowa, United States
“Needs attention”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Now I need to start by saying I like Bob Evens as a general rules, and the food was good. It was an overall issue with the running of the facility.
This place is within 100 yards of two other places of similar food style. Sophia's pancake house being in the same parking lot. Sophia's had a 35 min wait for a table at breakfast and walking distance away I walked in and 1/2 the tables were empty (first clue). I waited 5 minutes for someone to even ask if I needed to be seated (second clue). The staff was to busy talking to the manager about what they did Friday night to notice I was waiting and so were two people behind me (although it did sound like Friday was a fun night).
When I got my table it took 10 minutes to get a cup of coffee and another 10 to get my order in. Remember the place is half full but fully staffed
17 minutes for me to get my food ( 1 table left before getting food talking about going to ihop ). I heard one couple tell the waitress to tell the cook she was not getting a tip because of the slow cooking.

The food was good when it arrived, but when I was done I had to chase them down for my check ( I waited 15 min with empty plates before I asked for help)

I want to point out 3 things
- the food was good... No issues there

- several Seniors I was talking to said " this is the norm..you just have to be patient here"

- I think it can be turned around

The owners are leaving ton of cash on the table because of bad training.....hope it improves. But if not hope you have time to spare

Portage, Michigan
“Sunday morning treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Always fresh tasty food and coffee, always good service. Smells great. Has selections ok for diabetics. Sometimes too crowded.

Visited September 2012
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Fantastic Chicken Salad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We went to Bob Evan's on our way home from vacation. I saw they had a Chicken Salad, and thought I would try it. It was amazing. The fruit that came with it was fresh and there was a lot of it. The price was very affordable also. I really recommend this item and place to eat.

Visited April 2012
Portage, Michigan
“Breakfast Only”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Eggs, Pancakes and oatmeal are hard to mess up. Kids had to go to Bob Evans today for dinner, so I ordered a "farm fresh" burger... absolutely the worst hamburger ever. It looked like a frozen veggie burger, but tasted worse.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Okay but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Went to Bob Evan's and had their $9.95 steak special. The garden salad was fresh but they could have peeled the cucumbers. I would have expected unpeeled cukes at a fly by night mom and pop restaurant not at a national chain. The steak was good even though a little over cooked. The mashed potatoes were instant and under cooked. I chose a cookie for desert and what can you say about a cookie except that it looked and tasted like that it was a packaged product and not cooked on site. The restaurant was clean and the staff very friendly. This place is okay to eat but I wouldn't make it an everyday choice.

• Visited July 2012