“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went here for a night away from our daughter. We got the earth sky room which had a king size bed! The room itself was very large and had marble floors. I loved that the floors were heated not only in our room but the bathroom as well!! Francois was so nice and made sure that we had anything we could need. We also had a fireplace in our room which was an unexpected surprise. You are close to everything and can stay here for less then the cost of a chain hotel depending on the night you stay. Overall, we loved everything about this bed and breakfast. The breakfast was made to order with everything very fresh and we still had time to hop in the hot tub on the roof before we left as well!!! Love this place and I recommend it to everyone!!!!

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Detroit, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I just stayed over with my 2 sisters for a Sunday night getaway. Upon entering the front room there was a wedding going on and no one, or no sign to tell us where to check in. We interrupted a wedding reception which was awkward, but at least the wedding party was nice. After my sister placed a call to the Castle and we "Marco Polo-ed" our way to a person who checked us in.

Jane was very nice and we were very excited to see the rooms, which we were instructed to explore on our own. Amazing renovations and special touches in each room we visited. We decided to stay for dinner, which we were told would be at 6:30 p.m. We were seated immediately but were not served dinner until 8:15 p.m.!! Outrageous! Although the food was good, the lateness and the quality were not all that.

At Dinner we confirmed with Jane that she would come by and give me and my sisters 15 min. Chair massages. She offered them to us as she turned down our cot when we arrived and later at dinner. Dinner was late so we wanted to make certain she was still available. "Yes!" she said, she'd be there all night and hear us when we came down from the roof top jacuzzi.

We did the jacuzzi and steam room which were great! Clear brisk night, in a hot tub, on top of a castle. Awesome! Upon returning to our room we had luke warm showers and waited for Jane. We looked for Jane. The castle was dark. No one showed. (there was a massage chair by the door that was gone in the morning. Weird, and disappointing!)

The next day was the Breakfast experience. We were told breakfast would be served between 7:30 - 9:00a.m. Upon arrival at 7:45 a.m. to an ice cold dining room, there was no one in the kitchen, no lights on and worst of all No Coffee! After 15 minutes of stewing a young man arrived saying "he was the apprentice to the assistant chef and the that person was shopping and would return soon." Since this man did not know how to make coffee, my sister brewed some. In another 15 minutes, the assistant chef arrived and apologized for being late, but started our breakfast. No omelettes were offered, no choice of food. He brought us out some cut fruit and orange juice. The juice was good...

In another 15 min. we were each served french toast with syrup and whipped cream. This was delicious but they also put scrambled eggs on the same plate and our eggs were swimming in syrup. Fine for sausages, but for savory eggs, syrup is gross.

Jane came into the dining room and walked right past our table to another guest and offered them coffee. She did not acknowledge my sisters or me. No apology or explanation of where she was the night before, or again, why our meal was so late. We finished eating and just left.

The Castle is amazing, the food okay, the service awful.

Room Tip: Bath before you get there, luke warm showers. The rooms and beds however are great!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We live in the area and were looking for a close overnight stay to celebrate a birthday. Our overall review could be summed up by saying that this is a beautiful historic home with potential to be a memorable stay, however, it is lacking in cutomer service and obvious maintenance issues.
The home is beautiful and this is truly a special place that provides an opportunity to stay in a historic home. We noticed that there were mainenance issues with broken tiles on the entry walkway and tiles on the roof. After entering the home we were greeted by the employee who showed us to our room and handed us the keys. We don't require much information, however, being told something about the check out times, breakfast time, etc...would have been helpful, other than just giving us the keys. I asked him those questions and we got settled in. The room was comfortable with some modern updates. The heated tile floor was nice.

The next morning we went down for breakfast and were surprised with some lapses in the service. Again, we are pretty low maintenance, however, there was cold coffee on the table. We had to ask for new coffee, napkins, and cream. The waitress was pleasant but seemed a bit overwhelmed. The food was good, but maybe a lower maintenance service style would have been better. The food can be very good, but lacking service can turn a great meal into a less than memorable experience.

In a nut shell: Beautifil building with great potential to be a memorable experience. Needed: Maybe some better training for the staff, better customer service, be sure that there are not maintenance issues that are visible to guests.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
North Muskegon, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I booked a stay here for my girlfriend's birthday. We also attended the Murder Mystery Dinner that the castle puts on. Our room was less luxurious than what I was expecting for the price and does need some upgrades, the murder mystery dinner was fun but there was too many people in attendance and during the mingling part of the dinner when you are supposed to be talking to the other dinner participants to find out what they know, it was literally elbow to elbow. But the food was EXCELLENT! Francois provides gourmet food, and the breakfast the next morning was to die for. I would go again for the food alone. The main house is lovely and we also enjoyed the informality. We were able to tour the castle at our own leisure. A little pricey, but a great experience overall.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My wife and I recently returned to Henderson Castle for our Anniversary celebration. I say returned as we spent our first Christmas there many years ago when it was a private residence. This was our first experience with the location as a B&B. I had high expectations due to my memories of our first experience there. The building is still fantastic. The room we had was beautiful with a painted ceiling and a gas fireplace. However, the overall atmosphere misses the mark. It seemed like there was just too much going on for the staff levels. Instead of a normal familiarization tour we were told we could wander on our own. We took advantage of this and were able to go to the roof top to check out the view which is fantastic. However, we never got the feel of the history of the building. That is an important part of a B&B experience for me.

Another part of the experience is feeling at home. For example, I like a B&B that has drinks and snacks available for the guests to access on their own. At this B&B there were offers but you had to find someone and ask for assistance from the kitchen. It wasn't just available on demand. It would have been nice for them just to have a coffee/drink service in the dining room. The Henderson Castle is also a restaurant and a spa which seemed to make the B&B aspect an afterthought. When we checked out I could not even get someone to print us a bill. The person I did corner just said to turn in the keys. I asked for a bill to be sent to me but I haven't received one yet. I was planning to add a tip to the payment but wasn't given a chance to do so.

We had a few technical problems with the room - insufficient hot water for a morning shower, a TV remote that stopped working so we had to disconnect the TV to turn it off, and no directions for proper lighting and turning off the gas fireplace. These are small things but again with the general activity level in the house I didn't feel that I should bring them up.

A strong negative in our visit was the noise. Our room was on the main floor and there was a large gap at the bottom of the door so we heard everything going on in the check-in area and the restaurant. There was a wedding party in the lobby on day 1 which was very loud. The following morning there was a women's group in the restaurant having a good time but again with loud voices. If I ever returned I would definitely select another room on an upper floor.

The real disappointment was the food. With all the buildup of having a French chef as the owner I expected fantastic food. I have had some great French meals here and in France. However, the food was pretty basic. We had the 4 course dinner and we could have had a similar meal at any local restaurant. The salad had a dressing with little to no flavor. The Tomato Bisque was very good but it was my wife's so I didn't get very much. The rolls were hot but pretty ordinary. The main course (fish and pork) was good. My pork had BBQ sauce that could have come from a bottle. BBQ sauce isn't what I would expect from a French chef. Finally the fantastic desert was a carrot cake which was as plain as could be. It could easily have been store bought. It was the same carrot cake we were then served for breakfast. It looked like the 11 course meal was more French but I shouldn't have to go to that extreme for a memorable dinner. The breakfast was also pretty plain. I had an omelet which was well done but not extraordinary. One small glass of juice was all we received as the server was very busy and never came back to refill our glasses or really check on us. I had to ask for butter for the toast and then jelly for the same. Service was slow. We actually left the table and wandered around the hotel for a while as we waited.
My conclusion was that I was a low priority to them and I can understand that. There was so much going on it pushed the staff to the limit and they could not provide the service they probably would want to. I hope that they find the right mix to make the inn profitable. It is a beautiful place which looks as it is still in need of some repairs (roof). They will need the cash to keep things going.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a long review who does have some very good point , but also are not necessarily correct . For instance , we do offer a narrated Tour every day from 12 noon to 4 pm they are 10 $ per person and the fund collected are reserved to replace the historical roof within the very near future. The tour take 45 mns an average and as you can understand we can't physically give a private tour to every guest for this 15.000 square foot Castle. How ever what is important here is your feeling and your experience and that is what does matter the most to us. Therefore I do apologize if your experience was not 100 % perfect and we will be working very hard to correct this little details. Has you witness you visited us during the holidays in the middle of Christmas party hosted by the restaurant. We are sometime victims of our own success I guess. I do appreciate your comment very much. Again thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.

Francois Moyet
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Never been anywhere like it. A magnificent old 19th century mansion on top of a hill overlooking the city of Kalamazoo. The basic structure is original, including the stained glass, and the abundant antique furnishings, ornaments, paintings, tapestries etc. were bought mostly in Europe more recently to fit with the décor. Each room is themed (we stayed in the Dutch Room) There is also a Victorian Room, a Tibet Room, French and Italian rooms and various others. In all rooms it is like sleeping in the middle of a museum of antiques but with modern conveniences such as wi-fi. The bathrooms are enormous and also themed.

There is a very upscale (and expensive) restaurant in a gorgeously decorated and ornamented room that we did not have time to try except for breakfast, which was superbly prepared by François, the French chef and owner. He specializes in French toast, so we tried it and it was the best we have ever tasted. At the time of our visit François had not obtained a licence to sell wine, but you may bring your own.

It is not possible to check in until 3 or 4 p.m. because they do tours of the entire place and they need the rooms unoccupied until that time – a minor inconvenience if you arrive early. But if you do, take a tour because the history of the place is fascinating. They will store your luggage and deliver it to your room if you decide to leave for the afternoon. If you are staying more than one night I assume your room is off limits for the tour.

Just because this place is old, don’t think it will be decrepit. It’s far from it and superbly well maintained and restored. It’s worth taking the tour even if you don’t stay here.

It’s a historic site, museum, B&B, restaurant and spa all rolled into one. There is a small ballroom on the third floor, now used for receptions, weddings, etc. and to top it all a hot tub on the roof!

All in all, staying here was an extraordinary experience that we will never forget.

Room Tip: Every room is an experience like no other! See the visual tour on the web site - better than the ph...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your kinds words and very nice review we truly appreciate it.

Francois
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I've been living in the Kalamazoo area for 2yrs and have always wanted to visit Henderson Castle. What better time to give it a try then on a weekend visit from my family. Our excitement made the expensive $13/person breakfast a non-issue. Short lived however, as we were very disappointed with the limited menu and poor quality of food.

We shared a small fruit plate accompanied by freshly baked bread (which was good). Two options for breaskfast, french toast or eggs with toast. When presented with this limited menu, we had to inquire further about sides including bacon and/or sausage.

The french toast was soggy and the eggs overcooked. 0/4 of us enjoyed our high price meal and left feeling hungry and wishing we went to a more reasonably priced restaurant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
flmoyet, Owner at Henderson Castle Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. I'm not sure what generate your review.But I'm very sorry than than you did not enjoy your breakfast. Our menu offer for 12.99 $ coffee or tea , juice, fresh pastry of the day and any choice of eggs from poached egg, omelette, fried eggs ,scrambled egg, and of course my specialty the french toast. Now I'm french and do the original french toast and may be it does look or taste different of the one you may order else where . I use real french bread and soak it into and batter of organic milk and eggs with real vanilla and almond with cinnamon. Then I pan fried them golden brown served with home made organic whip cream with fresh fruit and Michigan low sugar home made maple tree syrup. I will be delighted to talk to you and offer you a new visit for a second experience feel free to call me any time.

Sincerely. Francois

Been to Henderson Castle Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!