“Great Motel For Price” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 31 hotels in Kalamazoo
Toronto, Canada
“Great Motel For Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed at motel for the 2013 dog show. Looks like the place has been newly renovated with wood floors which is great when you have dogs. Good number of cable channels. Good Wi-Fi reception as well. Front desk was very friendly and accomodating. After I reserved on the internet I phoned and asked for a fridge and microwave. This was in the room and operating when I arrived. I found the place to be very quiet which surprised me since there were other dogs there as well as mine. I will stay there next time I am in Kalamazoo.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Caro, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I had a reservation for a whole week, and went to change the date by going from the 11th, to the 10th, but since last year the management needed to buy a fridge for my reservation they canceled my reservation a week before my event.. What A bunch of BS.. So if I wouldn't of called they would of turned me away at the door.
I am in a wheelchair as I'm paralyzed from the waist down I made my reservation in February, as I require a roll in shower room
I hope this hotel closes and the owner goes BROKE

• Stayed May 2013
Caro, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there last year, for the big dog show thats in town. The manager went out of his way to take care of my needs. While there is no big grassy area to walk the dogd, I felt safe, no weird going on besides barking dogs, but then again was at hotel for dog show.
At reservation I requested a fridge for my meds, the manager didn't have one, so went out and purchased one.
They was still renovating while I was there my room was big, and the flooring was nice till you got into the bathroon where they haven't fixed yet.
Close to almost everything, and good hotel for the cost.

Will be staying again this year.

• Stayed June 2012
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Nothing good to say about this place.
4 doors down from us it seems a drug deal was happening... Bags being dropped off then the car left for only a different car to show up and grab the bag.
Police showed up.

Then in the morning found a car parked maybe 4 inches away from mine, this car had taken out the curb, then parked on the sidewalk with flat tires. Did not sleep a moment at all.

The blankets and sheets were gross, had burn marks and stains..

Room Tip: Don't go here ever!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
nate269, Guest Relations Manager at Motel 6 Kalamazoo, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
samsmomie20-
I'm sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Motel 6, we strive to provide a safe, comfortable stay for every guest. I completely agree that the suspicious activity you describe would be troubling. Unfortunately, being in the economy lodging industry, we on occasion draw certain guests who choose to engage in illegal activity and it is very difficult to prescreen guests.

As you witnessed firsthand, we are very fortunate to have a good working relationship with the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety and other local law enforcement agencies. Our property receives routine police patrols and all reports of suspicious activity are immediately reported. Additionally, we cooperate with the police by refusing to rent rooms to local individuals known to be involved in the drug trade.

Regarding the condition of the room, I also am sorry to hear that your linens and terry were stained. This is not typical of a stay here as we pride ourselves on providing a clean, comfortable stay. I will ensure housekeeping is followed up with to prevent future occurrence.

I would like to invite you back to allow our staff another opportunity to exceed your expectations if you are ever in the Kalamazoo area.
MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed in this hotel several years ago and vowed not to come back, until a friend told me it was renovated. Yes, it was a little better, but not much.

I used a promo code online for a special rate and upon check-in the clerk quoted $15 higher than my booked rate. Luckily, I printed out the confirmation and while she didn't give me any issues with it, it made me think they're NOT organized in honoring rates, so have proof!

The 2-bed room was very spacious, plenty of room for luggage, etc. The floors are linoleum w/ceramic tile in the bathroom areas. Everything was mostly clean, no sign of bugs. The bathroom was "tolerable" clean, but without towels. 3 phone calls later to the front desk and we finally got (very thin and small) towels. The only amenities in the room were 2 bars of soap, nothing else. The shower was great with hot water.

The beds were "ok" comfortable with very flat pillows. (bring your own) The top comforter had some small holes in it, all bedding, fairly clean. Lighting was great, door locks worked fine.

I second everyone's comments about the people around this hotel. There was a lot of goings ons in the parking lot, but nothing too loud or worrisome where we couldn't sleep.

This hotel is fine for a "passing by" for one night. Anything else, and you're better at the Red Roof on the other side of the highway.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Smyrna, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Someone said "You get what you pay for".... NO I DID NOT!
I don't expect much from Motel6 but I would not put my name on this place if I were them.
The AC worked and the sheets were clean but that's it.
The un-carpeted floor was sticky... the room was grungy and well... most of the poor reviews I read here... I would agree with. We will not be back to this or any other Motel6.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

that's "average" for a Motel 6, not for the universe of hotels/motels out there. This M6 is on a small side road just off the freeway. It's one storey but fairly sprawling - there are several buildings. It's the standard motel-ish drive-up-to-your-door-and-park deal.

Checking in was straightforward enough, though the desk clerk took several minutes messing around with the computer system while I stood there waiting. I don't know what that was about. On the positive side, 15 minutes after I got to the room he called to verify that it was satisfactory. Upon reaching the door, I noted a cigarette butt on the ground at the foot of it. Entering the room, the first impression was "clean enough" which it mostly is. The next impression was tripping over a spot where the laminate flooring has been broken and is sticking up. Because of its location, I tripped over this quite a few times through the course of the evening. It really should be fixed before someone hurts themselves. The third impression was that I was sticking to the floor. It's the feeling that you get on a hard floor that's been mopped but not rinsed - that soapy/sticky feel, which is probably exactly what it was.

This is a renovated M6 but is not as renovated as the ones I've seen elsewhere. For example, there's no faux-fancy sink like I saw in other such M6s. The renovation seems to have been limited to putting down the flooring and painting one wall orange. What's been done to the room has since lost its luster, has become somewhat beat-up, though I suppose it's a (small) notch above a non-renovated property.

It was a Friday night and the parking lot noise continued into the morning hours. Cars starting, doors banging, hollering, kids (yes, at those hours) making noise. At one point a dog (at least I hope it was) was scratching at the door wanting to get in. Fortunately I didn't have any noisy neighbors. Again, this was a Friday so for all I know the place could be completely quiet during the week. The next morning after the walk to the office, I discovered that while there were two canisters of hot coffee on tap, they don't have hot water available, so those who like tea or like to make their own instant coffee are out of luck. I didn't use the TV so nothing to report there, but the (free) internet access is adequate, as was the cooling from the under-window unit.

All in all, it's pretty much par-for-the-course for an M6. I had higher hopes for this one because of it's "renovated" status on the M6 website, and because such properties elsewhere were considerably above the M6 average. This one is average.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Motel 6 Kalamazoo? Share your experiences!