“Handicap stay Okay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Caro, Michigan
“Handicap stay Okay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there last year, for the big dog show thats in town. The manager went out of his way to take care of my needs. While there is no big grassy area to walk the dogd, I felt safe, no weird going on besides barking dogs, but then again was at hotel for dog show.
At reservation I requested a fridge for my meds, the manager didn't have one, so went out and purchased one.
They was still renovating while I was there my room was big, and the flooring was nice till you got into the bathroon where they haven't fixed yet.
Close to almost everything, and good hotel for the cost.

Will be staying again this year.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Nothing good to say about this place.
4 doors down from us it seems a drug deal was happening... Bags being dropped off then the car left for only a different car to show up and grab the bag.
Police showed up.

Then in the morning found a car parked maybe 4 inches away from mine, this car had taken out the curb, then parked on the sidewalk with flat tires. Did not sleep a moment at all.

The blankets and sheets were gross, had burn marks and stains..

Room Tip: Don't go here ever!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
nate269, Guest Relations Manager at Motel 6 Kalamazoo, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
samsmomie20-
I'm sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Motel 6, we strive to provide a safe, comfortable stay for every guest. I completely agree that the suspicious activity you describe would be troubling. Unfortunately, being in the economy lodging industry, we on occasion draw certain guests who choose to engage in illegal activity and it is very difficult to prescreen guests.

As you witnessed firsthand, we are very fortunate to have a good working relationship with the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety and other local law enforcement agencies. Our property receives routine police patrols and all reports of suspicious activity are immediately reported. Additionally, we cooperate with the police by refusing to rent rooms to local individuals known to be involved in the drug trade.

Regarding the condition of the room, I also am sorry to hear that your linens and terry were stained. This is not typical of a stay here as we pride ourselves on providing a clean, comfortable stay. I will ensure housekeeping is followed up with to prevent future occurrence.

I would like to invite you back to allow our staff another opportunity to exceed your expectations if you are ever in the Kalamazoo area.
MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed in this hotel several years ago and vowed not to come back, until a friend told me it was renovated. Yes, it was a little better, but not much.

I used a promo code online for a special rate and upon check-in the clerk quoted $15 higher than my booked rate. Luckily, I printed out the confirmation and while she didn't give me any issues with it, it made me think they're NOT organized in honoring rates, so have proof!

The 2-bed room was very spacious, plenty of room for luggage, etc. The floors are linoleum w/ceramic tile in the bathroom areas. Everything was mostly clean, no sign of bugs. The bathroom was "tolerable" clean, but without towels. 3 phone calls later to the front desk and we finally got (very thin and small) towels. The only amenities in the room were 2 bars of soap, nothing else. The shower was great with hot water.

The beds were "ok" comfortable with very flat pillows. (bring your own) The top comforter had some small holes in it, all bedding, fairly clean. Lighting was great, door locks worked fine.

I second everyone's comments about the people around this hotel. There was a lot of goings ons in the parking lot, but nothing too loud or worrisome where we couldn't sleep.

This hotel is fine for a "passing by" for one night. Anything else, and you're better at the Red Roof on the other side of the highway.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Smyrna, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Someone said "You get what you pay for".... NO I DID NOT!
I don't expect much from Motel6 but I would not put my name on this place if I were them.
The AC worked and the sheets were clean but that's it.
The un-carpeted floor was sticky... the room was grungy and well... most of the poor reviews I read here... I would agree with. We will not be back to this or any other Motel6.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

that's "average" for a Motel 6, not for the universe of hotels/motels out there. This M6 is on a small side road just off the freeway. It's one storey but fairly sprawling - there are several buildings. It's the standard motel-ish drive-up-to-your-door-and-park deal.

Checking in was straightforward enough, though the desk clerk took several minutes messing around with the computer system while I stood there waiting. I don't know what that was about. On the positive side, 15 minutes after I got to the room he called to verify that it was satisfactory. Upon reaching the door, I noted a cigarette butt on the ground at the foot of it. Entering the room, the first impression was "clean enough" which it mostly is. The next impression was tripping over a spot where the laminate flooring has been broken and is sticking up. Because of its location, I tripped over this quite a few times through the course of the evening. It really should be fixed before someone hurts themselves. The third impression was that I was sticking to the floor. It's the feeling that you get on a hard floor that's been mopped but not rinsed - that soapy/sticky feel, which is probably exactly what it was.

This is a renovated M6 but is not as renovated as the ones I've seen elsewhere. For example, there's no faux-fancy sink like I saw in other such M6s. The renovation seems to have been limited to putting down the flooring and painting one wall orange. What's been done to the room has since lost its luster, has become somewhat beat-up, though I suppose it's a (small) notch above a non-renovated property.

It was a Friday night and the parking lot noise continued into the morning hours. Cars starting, doors banging, hollering, kids (yes, at those hours) making noise. At one point a dog (at least I hope it was) was scratching at the door wanting to get in. Fortunately I didn't have any noisy neighbors. Again, this was a Friday so for all I know the place could be completely quiet during the week. The next morning after the walk to the office, I discovered that while there were two canisters of hot coffee on tap, they don't have hot water available, so those who like tea or like to make their own instant coffee are out of luck. I didn't use the TV so nothing to report there, but the (free) internet access is adequate, as was the cooling from the under-window unit.

All in all, it's pretty much par-for-the-course for an M6. I had higher hopes for this one because of it's "renovated" status on the M6 website, and because such properties elsewhere were considerably above the M6 average. This one is average.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Hanover Park, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

One star. We left upon entry to the room, at least they were nice enough to refund our money. Needless to say, we only needed a few hours of sleep before getting back on the road. Arrived at 1am, and there was quite a bit of activity in the lot. (People drinking, loud noise, strange vehicles driving around the property in the all of FIVE MINUTES we were there. Looked as if someone dumped trash outside the door of our room. NO carpeting in the room, tasteless tile throughout! BADLY stained tub, and my biggest pet peave... Broken inner door slide-lock. (Hardware only showing half of a screw partially installed. Leads me to believe this motel is unsafe. After viewing someone's candid pictures only confirmed this more. I would not recommend this establishment to anyone. Most of the properties on this side of the street along with this seemed to share most of these qualities. This would be one of the few times I would say, stay with the "BIG BOX" hotels in the area. (This hotel is independently owned & operated, and not somewhere I would advise!)

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you are uncomfortable with anything other than cheap.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011 via mobile

You can't beat the price for a quick sleep. The linens were clean, but the walls are VERY thin. Pray that you don't get energetic neighbors like we did.
The rooms need definite work. Orange walls, rusting and peeling fixtures.
Pros: cheap, free wifi, coupons for meals at nearby restaurants.

• Stayed December 2011

Been to Motel 6 Kalamazoo? Share your experiences!