“Bare bones, Barely clean” 2 of 5 stars

Motel 6 Kalamazoo
3704 Vanrick Rd, I-94 at Exit 80/Sprinkle Rd, Kalamazoo, MI 49002   |
Ranked #28 of 31 hotels in Kalamazoo
MI
“Bare bones, Barely clean”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed in this hotel several years ago and vowed not to come back, until a friend told me it was renovated. Yes, it was a little better, but not much.

I used a promo code online for a special rate and upon check-in the clerk quoted $15 higher than my booked rate. Luckily, I printed out the confirmation and while she didn't give me any issues with it, it made me think they're NOT organized in honoring rates, so have proof!

The 2-bed room was very spacious, plenty of room for luggage, etc. The floors are linoleum w/ceramic tile in the bathroom areas. Everything was mostly clean, no sign of bugs. The bathroom was "tolerable" clean, but without towels. 3 phone calls later to the front desk and we finally got (very thin and small) towels. The only amenities in the room were 2 bars of soap, nothing else. The shower was great with hot water.

The beds were "ok" comfortable with very flat pillows. (bring your own) The top comforter had some small holes in it, all bedding, fairly clean. Lighting was great, door locks worked fine.

I second everyone's comments about the people around this hotel. There was a lot of goings ons in the parking lot, but nothing too loud or worrisome where we couldn't sleep.

This hotel is fine for a "passing by" for one night. Anything else, and you're better at the Red Roof on the other side of the highway.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Smyrna, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Someone said "You get what you pay for".... NO I DID NOT!
I don't expect much from Motel6 but I would not put my name on this place if I were them.
The AC worked and the sheets were clean but that's it.
The un-carpeted floor was sticky... the room was grungy and well... most of the poor reviews I read here... I would agree with. We will not be back to this or any other Motel6.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

that's "average" for a Motel 6, not for the universe of hotels/motels out there. This M6 is on a small side road just off the freeway. It's one storey but fairly sprawling - there are several buildings. It's the standard motel-ish drive-up-to-your-door-and-park deal.

Checking in was straightforward enough, though the desk clerk took several minutes messing around with the computer system while I stood there waiting. I don't know what that was about. On the positive side, 15 minutes after I got to the room he called to verify that it was satisfactory. Upon reaching the door, I noted a cigarette butt on the ground at the foot of it. Entering the room, the first impression was "clean enough" which it mostly is. The next impression was tripping over a spot where the laminate flooring has been broken and is sticking up. Because of its location, I tripped over this quite a few times through the course of the evening. It really should be fixed before someone hurts themselves. The third impression was that I was sticking to the floor. It's the feeling that you get on a hard floor that's been mopped but not rinsed - that soapy/sticky feel, which is probably exactly what it was.

This is a renovated M6 but is not as renovated as the ones I've seen elsewhere. For example, there's no faux-fancy sink like I saw in other such M6s. The renovation seems to have been limited to putting down the flooring and painting one wall orange. What's been done to the room has since lost its luster, has become somewhat beat-up, though I suppose it's a (small) notch above a non-renovated property.

It was a Friday night and the parking lot noise continued into the morning hours. Cars starting, doors banging, hollering, kids (yes, at those hours) making noise. At one point a dog (at least I hope it was) was scratching at the door wanting to get in. Fortunately I didn't have any noisy neighbors. Again, this was a Friday so for all I know the place could be completely quiet during the week. The next morning after the walk to the office, I discovered that while there were two canisters of hot coffee on tap, they don't have hot water available, so those who like tea or like to make their own instant coffee are out of luck. I didn't use the TV so nothing to report there, but the (free) internet access is adequate, as was the cooling from the under-window unit.

All in all, it's pretty much par-for-the-course for an M6. I had higher hopes for this one because of it's "renovated" status on the M6 website, and because such properties elsewhere were considerably above the M6 average. This one is average.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Hanover Park, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

One star. We left upon entry to the room, at least they were nice enough to refund our money. Needless to say, we only needed a few hours of sleep before getting back on the road. Arrived at 1am, and there was quite a bit of activity in the lot. (People drinking, loud noise, strange vehicles driving around the property in the all of FIVE MINUTES we were there. Looked as if someone dumped trash outside the door of our room. NO carpeting in the room, tasteless tile throughout! BADLY stained tub, and my biggest pet peave... Broken inner door slide-lock. (Hardware only showing half of a screw partially installed. Leads me to believe this motel is unsafe. After viewing someone's candid pictures only confirmed this more. I would not recommend this establishment to anyone. Most of the properties on this side of the street along with this seemed to share most of these qualities. This would be one of the few times I would say, stay with the "BIG BOX" hotels in the area. (This hotel is independently owned & operated, and not somewhere I would advise!)

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you are uncomfortable with anything other than cheap.