“No. Just no.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East

You added Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3701 East Cork Street, I-94 to Sprinkle Rd (Exit 80), Kalamazoo, MI 49001-4611   |
Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Winona Lake, Indiana
“No. Just no.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This was by far the worst experience I have ever had in any hotel ever. I don't mind worn older rooms, but ours was dirty and reeked of smoke. My friend had paid for the room over the phone with her credit card the day before so when we checked in at 7 p.m. we were told everything was fine. My friend and I (we are both female) were awakened at midnight by a phone call from a new front desk person telling us that there was a problem with the bill. We sleepily told him we would deal with it in the morning since we only had a few more hours to sleep before we had to leave for our conference anyway. Ten minutes later the phone rang again and the same person told us we had to come to the front desk and pay for our room since our credit card had not gone through or they would call the police. Now we were scared. We really did not know if the call was coming from the front desk or someone just wanted us to open the door (the room doors at this hotel all open to the outside). So eventually we got the cash together (We certainly weren't giving them another card#), called the front desk using the 800 # to confirm that it really was coming from the hotel and paid our bill. We explained to the front desk clerk how upsetting it was and all he said was that the guy who had checked us in might not work there much longer because he caused problems and that he had called his boss to see what to do since our card hadn't gone through and his boss told him to call the police. As it turns out whoever took my friends card over the phone had written the # down wrong and if either the person on the phone or the person who checked us in had bothered to run the card then (like we were told they had) we could have caught the problem earlier and this overnight would just have been a stay in the grossest hotel room ever not also the scariest.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
tnortham01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill out this review.

I am extremely sorry and embarrassed for the way that you were treated during you stay at my inn. Please know that this is not normal procedure and I will take the necessary steps to make sure that this does not happen again. If you would be so kind as to contact me directly so I might personally apologize to you I would greatly appreciate it.

Again, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Kalamazoo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Nathan and he set me up with a nice room and he was quite accommodating. The rooms have been renovated and are clean.

I find the staff to be always friendly. I think this means something to the business traveller.

I have recommended this hotel to another professional.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
tnortham01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a wonderful review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the service that Nathan was able to provide for you.

We are happy that you enjoyed the quality and value of our product.

I will make sure to share your comments with Nathan and the rest of our team. Feedback from
our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

It is truly a pleasure having you as our guest and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Kalamazoo MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

As I am in one of their rooms, I regret of not making better plans 6 months before.
All other hotels are booked to capacity.
The smell of smoker is almost instant.
There are hair on the pillow covers
there are stains on the counter tops that should have been cleaned
it is not a good option for a family stay... it is a trucker's pit stop.
I get what I paid for.

Room Tip: external rooms, no room service, need to get your own towels,
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
tnortham01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I would like to apologize for the experience that you had at our inn. We appreciate your feedback and I will make sure to share your review with my staff.

Our rooms are non-smoking and we take all measures available to prevent guests from smoking in our rooms and we also double check all of our rooms for cleanliness, it is obvious in this case that we dropped the ball. We try to exceed our guests expectations, and I am sorry that we were unable to do so in your case. I hope that you might allow us to better serve you in the future.
Oxford, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel brags about being nonsmoking. I got my key and drug my luggage up the stairs, half way down the building outside in the cold and dark, exhausted, only to open the door to be nearly knocked down from the horrible smell of smoke. The room REEKED!!! I called the front desk and they found me another room that was better but it was still obviously recently smoked in. This one, however, had been sprayed with some heavy duty cleaning spray that made it smell like some heavy cleaning product with a hint of smoke. Horrible. As I left the next morning I saw at least four people standing inside their rooms with doors open smoking. This is ridiculous!!!! Either your hotel is non-smoking or it is not. Shame on you! Room was worn, and felt dirty. Stained carpets, etc. Take a lesson from your Akron, OH location. They are fabulous. I will never stay in your hotel again!!!

Room Tip: There aren't any!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
tnortham01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I apologize for your experience at our inn, it is our top priority to make our guests feel comfortable. Our rooms are non-smoking and we let our guests know of this at check in and we take all measures available to prevent guests from smoking in our rooms. We try to exceed our guests expectations and in this case it seems not only did we not exceed it, we did not meet it either. I hope you will allow us an opportunity to exceed your expectations the next time you are in town.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Maybe this place is coasting on the reputation of previous reviews. I encountered multiple signs that they're not trying harder. First impressions: the driveway and parking lot are past due for repaving. The lot in the back demands careful maneuvering, as the many full-length pickups parked on both sides give sparse room in between. Inside the room where I stayed, there were lots of scuffs and signs of hard wear. The desk chair was wobbly, with a squashed, stained cushion. If you get a first floor room, prepare for abundant sounds when someone in the room above uses a shower. When I returned to my room about six p.m. on a Tuesday, neither room key worked. I went to the front desk and was confronted by a locked lobby and a sign proclaiming the desk clerk would be back in 10 minutes. It took her well more than 15. But no matter, she quickly re-made my keys with no hint of an apology for the inconvenience. Still, the rooms are clean and the price isn't bad for the area. Adjust your expectations and you'll likely do okay. At least the TV is new and the single-cup coffee maker works fine.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room to avoid hearing lots of plumbing noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
tnortham01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey.

I apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. I have spoken with my team and we do use the feedback from our guests to understand how to not meet their expectations but how can we exceed their expectations. We never want to rest on the positive experiences of our previous guests , we always strive to raise the level of that experience.

I hope you will give us an opportunity to exceed your expectations the next time you are in the area.
Saint Thomas, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We usually try to stay at a Red Roof Inn when traveling because of their consistent quality and value for the money. Unfortunately this one was not up to par. We arrived around 10pm needing a place to seep before continuing on to Milwaukee the next day. We were assigned a room on the second floor. It was a non smoking room yet is had a stale smoke odor. The table, chair and bedding were obviously well used. The carpet was dirty and sticky, so much so that my girlfriend was uncomfortable taking off her shoes. Since we were getting back on the road bright and early the next morning we put up with it for one night. But overall it was disappointing for a Red Roof Inn.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
tnortham01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I would like to thank you for being a loyal Red Roof Inn guest.

I apologize to you for having a room that smelled of smoke, I have reviewed procedures with both housekeeping and maintenance to insure that we are providing the freshest rooms possible.

I would also like to apologize for the condition of the room, please know that we are working hard in an attempt to upgrade our rooms and we appreciate your feedback on this matter.

It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope that you will give us another chance in the future.
East Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

This Red Roof Inn would be the first of two Red Roofs during a fifthteen day trip. The room was good size, with comfortable king bed, with four pillows. Total room furishings included long two dwarer chest, writing desk and chair on rollers. End table withmphone & clock. A small round table. Large comfortable lazy boy like rocker. Mico/fridge. Large Panasonic wide screen with only 12 channels, four ESPN, two HBO and the Speed Channel.

No closet, but a wall rack with five hangers. Sink area is wall to wall, with a four by four foot mirror. NO hair dryer. Coffee maker on writing desk. Bathroom is on the small size. Ok foe a small/medium person. This facility is NOT for the handicapped. Shower/tub combo. Plenty of towels, but scratchy, lucky I had my own big fluffy shower towel. Small bars of hand soap. Tear open packets of shampoo.The sink area, bathroom floor and tub all very clean. No mold/mildew or hair around or in the tub.

The a/c worked fine, not to loud. This a smoke-free facility. Smelled no smoke from the previous guest. Also a two story faculity. All rooms open to the parking lot. No long walks down the hall way carrying luggage. Just back up to your door, unload and reload.

Plenty of places to eat. A Burger King next door, Arbys across Cork Street, a Godfathers pizza and Dennys. Breakfast isn't much, walked to DEnnys. An ice and snack machine are next to the front office. The office is on the end of the facility as a guest drives into the parking lot. Plenty of parking.

Each of the entire staff I met was friendly and helpful.

I probably would return again. All I need is a comfortable bed, clean room, quiet neighborhhood, at a reasonable price, which Red Roof provided. This facility is just minutes away from interstate I-94. The only minus was the limited number of clannels. However, I wasn't there to watch television.

Jack L., Syracuse, New York.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
tnortham01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post such a thorough review of our property. We are so pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services

It was truly a pleasure having you as our guest. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Been to Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East? Share your experiences!