“Dirty, cigarette butts and smoke smell” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East

Save Saved
You added Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East to your Saves list
Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3701 East Cork Street, I-94 to Sprinkle Rd (Exit 80), Kalamazoo, MI 49001-4611   |
Ranked #18 of 31 hotels in Kalamazoo
Kalamazoo MI
“Dirty, cigarette butts and smoke smell”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

As I am in one of their rooms, I regret of not making better plans 6 months before.
All other hotels are booked to capacity.
The smell of smoker is almost instant.
There are hair on the pillow covers
there are stains on the counter tops that should have been cleaned
it is not a good option for a family stay... it is a trucker's pit stop.
I get what I paid for.

Room Tip: external rooms, no room service, need to get your own towels,
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
tnortham01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I would like to apologize for the experience that you had at our inn. We appreciate your feedback and I will make sure to share your review with my staff.

Our rooms are non-smoking and we take all measures available to prevent guests from smoking in our rooms and we also double check all of our rooms for cleanliness, it is obvious in this case that we dropped the ball. We try to exceed our guests expectations, and I am sorry that we were unable to do so in your case. I hope that you might allow us to better serve you in the future.

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Oxford, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel brags about being nonsmoking. I got my key and drug my luggage up the stairs, half way down the building outside in the cold and dark, exhausted, only to open the door to be nearly knocked down from the horrible smell of smoke. The room REEKED!!! I called the front desk and they found me another room that was better but it was still obviously recently smoked in. This one, however, had been sprayed with some heavy duty cleaning spray that made it smell like some heavy cleaning product with a hint of smoke. Horrible. As I left the next morning I saw at least four people standing inside their rooms with doors open smoking. This is ridiculous!!!! Either your hotel is non-smoking or it is not. Shame on you! Room was worn, and felt dirty. Stained carpets, etc. Take a lesson from your Akron, OH location. They are fabulous. I will never stay in your hotel again!!!

Room Tip: There aren't any!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
tnortham01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I apologize for your experience at our inn, it is our top priority to make our guests feel comfortable. Our rooms are non-smoking and we let our guests know of this at check in and we take all measures available to prevent guests from smoking in our rooms. We try to exceed our guests expectations and in this case it seems not only did we not exceed it, we did not meet it either. I hope you will allow us an opportunity to exceed your expectations the next time you are in town.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Maybe this place is coasting on the reputation of previous reviews. I encountered multiple signs that they're not trying harder. First impressions: the driveway and parking lot are past due for repaving. The lot in the back demands careful maneuvering, as the many full-length pickups parked on both sides give sparse room in between. Inside the room where I stayed, there were lots of scuffs and signs of hard wear. The desk chair was wobbly, with a squashed, stained cushion. If you get a first floor room, prepare for abundant sounds when someone in the room above uses a shower. When I returned to my room about six p.m. on a Tuesday, neither room key worked. I went to the front desk and was confronted by a locked lobby and a sign proclaiming the desk clerk would be back in 10 minutes. It took her well more than 15. But no matter, she quickly re-made my keys with no hint of an apology for the inconvenience. Still, the rooms are clean and the price isn't bad for the area. Adjust your expectations and you'll likely do okay. At least the TV is new and the single-cup coffee maker works fine.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room to avoid hearing lots of plumbing noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
tnortham01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey.

I apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. I have spoken with my team and we do use the feedback from our guests to understand how to not meet their expectations but how can we exceed their expectations. We never want to rest on the positive experiences of our previous guests , we always strive to raise the level of that experience.

I hope you will give us an opportunity to exceed your expectations the next time you are in the area.
Saint Thomas, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We usually try to stay at a Red Roof Inn when traveling because of their consistent quality and value for the money. Unfortunately this one was not up to par. We arrived around 10pm needing a place to seep before continuing on to Milwaukee the next day. We were assigned a room on the second floor. It was a non smoking room yet is had a stale smoke odor. The table, chair and bedding were obviously well used. The carpet was dirty and sticky, so much so that my girlfriend was uncomfortable taking off her shoes. Since we were getting back on the road bright and early the next morning we put up with it for one night. But overall it was disappointing for a Red Roof Inn.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
tnortham01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I would like to thank you for being a loyal Red Roof Inn guest.

I apologize to you for having a room that smelled of smoke, I have reviewed procedures with both housekeeping and maintenance to insure that we are providing the freshest rooms possible.

I would also like to apologize for the condition of the room, please know that we are working hard in an attempt to upgrade our rooms and we appreciate your feedback on this matter.

It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope that you will give us another chance in the future.
East Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

This Red Roof Inn would be the first of two Red Roofs during a fifthteen day trip. The room was good size, with comfortable king bed, with four pillows. Total room furishings included long two dwarer chest, writing desk and chair on rollers. End table withmphone & clock. A small round table. Large comfortable lazy boy like rocker. Mico/fridge. Large Panasonic wide screen with only 12 channels, four ESPN, two HBO and the Speed Channel.

No closet, but a wall rack with five hangers. Sink area is wall to wall, with a four by four foot mirror. NO hair dryer. Coffee maker on writing desk. Bathroom is on the small size. Ok foe a small/medium person. This facility is NOT for the handicapped. Shower/tub combo. Plenty of towels, but scratchy, lucky I had my own big fluffy shower towel. Small bars of hand soap. Tear open packets of shampoo.The sink area, bathroom floor and tub all very clean. No mold/mildew or hair around or in the tub.

The a/c worked fine, not to loud. This a smoke-free facility. Smelled no smoke from the previous guest. Also a two story faculity. All rooms open to the parking lot. No long walks down the hall way carrying luggage. Just back up to your door, unload and reload.

Plenty of places to eat. A Burger King next door, Arbys across Cork Street, a Godfathers pizza and Dennys. Breakfast isn't much, walked to DEnnys. An ice and snack machine are next to the front office. The office is on the end of the facility as a guest drives into the parking lot. Plenty of parking.

Each of the entire staff I met was friendly and helpful.

I probably would return again. All I need is a comfortable bed, clean room, quiet neighborhhood, at a reasonable price, which Red Roof provided. This facility is just minutes away from interstate I-94. The only minus was the limited number of clannels. However, I wasn't there to watch television.

Jack L., Syracuse, New York.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
tnortham01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post such a thorough review of our property. We are so pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services

It was truly a pleasure having you as our guest. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Niles,Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The king room was nice size and the desk area had plenty of room and easy to get to plugs! . The furniture was a little worn/stained as well as the carpet. The front desk gal was very pleasant.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
tnortham01, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are so pleased that you felt comfortable during your stay with us.

I will make sure to share your comments with our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome and appreciated as we strive to improve our quality and service each day.

It was truly a pleasure having you as our guest.
Calhoun, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We had to make a last minute trip from Ga to go and see my daughter's father, who was dying. They gave me a hospital rate, which was a great help financially. Elizabeth was very kind and concerned. The room was clean, comfortable, and nice. We checked out to go home on Sunday am, but my ex-husband took a drastic turn for the worse so we stayed. I called to see if we could get our room back. We weren't able to but Alysse got us into another room which was just as nice as the other one. Both these ladies were extremely kind, considerate, and helpful. Thank you for making a very difficult time easier. It was nice not to have to worry about where we were going to stay and knowing that we had a nice, clean room with comfortable beds especially since we were traveling so far from home and with an infant.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a wonderful review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the service that was provided.

I will make sure to share your comments with Elizabeth, Alysse and the rest of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome and appreciated.

It was truly a pleasure having you as our guest. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Been to Red Roof Inn Kalamazoo East? Share your experiences!