“Very Good stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 31 hotels in Kalamazoo
Rochester, Mi
“Very Good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We were here with a large group and all went well. Our room faced the interstate and unlike other reviewers, we heard no road noise at all. Breakfast was the same both Sat. & Sun. mornings--would've liked a variety. No waffle maker and the pancake maker wasn't working properly. Everything was clean, though, with plenty of clean towels. Missed the afternoon warm chocolate cookies. Appreciated that we were asked to sign an agreement to adhere to the hotel's "quiet hours." This should be implemented at ALL hotels. Also appreciated the note at the breakfast area stating shoes & proper clothes are required by law. It's not very appetizing to see people come down to breakfast in their pj's and barefoot. We'd stay here again. Staff was very helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for the time you have taken to write your views on our property and your experience with us. We love when everything goes well with big groups. We know things can get rowdy and that is why we implement our "peaceful stay contract", we are pleased to know that we have exceeded your expectations on our property and look forward to having you back next time you are in Kalamazoo, Mi.

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Santa Cruz, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The staff at this hotel were friendly. My complaints are based on the poor construction of the building. My room faced the interstate and I could hear trucks all night. I'm assuming that since I've stayed in similar hotels close to the freeway without this much noise that the insulation and windows are of inferior quality. The vertical passageways for the plumbing should be insulated, but clearly were not at this property. I could hear it loud and clear every time someone above flushed or took a shower. The walls between the rooms must not be insulated either, because you could hear everything going on on either side. I also found the decor to be at the lower end of what I expect at an HIE property. Also, I'm surprised by the positive bed comments. The mattress was lumpy and definitely not up to normal HIE standards.

I would not consider this a business traveler hotel. The desk did not have a lamp and the one outlet was underneath the desk. In hotels that don't have outlets at desk height, I expect a desk lamp with outlets.

There were several other nice hotels close by including a 4 Points by Sheraton that we the same price. I would choose them over this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay away from the interstate side.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We have had new ownership and management company take over and have been in the process of renovation. We are also in the process of placing the new bedside lamps in the rooms within the next week and will pass along the information to ownership as well. We apologize we did not meet your standards and given we are in the process of updating those items we hope you will give us another chance the next time you are in Kalamazoo.
GRANVILLE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here one night for a visit to Kalamazoo College the next day. The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient both at check-in and check-out. The room was clean, the beds comfortable, and the bathroom had a nice long counter. The breakfast was fine, but I really dislike having to use plastic utensils and plates. I am a very light sleeper, but I had no problem with the road noise. It's not a particularly convenient hotel to the college, but I would stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
We are pleased to know that we could accommodate you, even though we were out of the way. Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience with us. We look forward to having you back on your future visits to Kalamazoo.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I had to go to Battle Creek for business but didn't find a quality hotel that fit my budget. I chose the Holiday Inn Express in Kalamazoo. The hotel is on the east side of town without much to do nearby. I asked the ladies at the front desk for recommendations and they were very helpful. The hotel next door has the same owners and it has a great Manager's Reception on Wednesday evenings. The beer and BBQ were complimentary and both were very good. Visitors also get a discount at a local favorite resturant down the road where once again the food and beer were excellent.

What impressed me the most however was when Angel called me 30 minutes after I checked out. She noticed an error on my bill and called to let me know that she had fixed it and wondered if I needed an updated receipt. I really appreciate the fact that she took her time to resolve a problem before I even knew I had one.

If I need to travel to this area again I'll definately stay here.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing away from the highway as they're quieter
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
KBaker041484, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
We truly appreciate the time you have taken to write this review Bill M. We are very pleased to know that you had chose our property in Kalamazoo and we will definitely look forward to having you back in the future.
Bath, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Great job Holiday Inn Express team. My family asked me find a hotel where we all could stay to attend a family gathering in K'zoo. It started out 3 rooms one night, turned out up to 5 rooms, three nights. My family is hard to please at times. I did not hear one complaint. Clean rooms, warm clean pool, comfy beds, great service from the staff, (thanks for everything Angel), breakfast fresh and up to date exercise equipment. The one suggestion may be a hot tub spa. My 9 year old daughter asked when we can stay again at this hotel. We will stay again when in K'zoo.

Room Tip: Always check out the price difference for the suite, worth a couple extra bucks.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
KBaker041484, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thank You so much Robert B for taking the time to talk so highly of our property & and team members. We are pleased to know we could accommodate you and your family so comfortably, especially when the kids are comfortable and enjoying themselves we know we did something right. Thank you again and we will be looking forward to your next journey to K'zoo.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed at this holiday inn express for business , 2 nights . It's been over a year since I visited this location. I was pleasantly surprised with the new carpet and furniture in rooms. Bathroom had new fixtures and lighting which was a complaint before. Breakfast was ok, typical for HIX. People were friendly and gave a complimentary up grade room for gold member status which was a nice amenitiy. Close to shops and restaurants , would recommend and will come again !

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge our improvements of our property. We appreciate your loyalty as a Gold Priority Club Member and being a returning guest, we look forward to having you back the next time you are in Kalamazoo.
Temperance, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We enjoyed the recent 2 nights in the hotel. The room was particularly quiet, roomy and comfortable. The service was attentive and efficient. The free breakfast was largely similar to all others of the same type and quite acceptable. The road in was somewhat hard to find but turned out to be quite worth the hunt. The resturant accross the parking lot was, as recommended by the staff, quite good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
KBaker041484, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank You kindly for your review, we are pleased to hear that it was worth the hunt. We look forward to being able to accommodate you again the next time you are in Kalamazoo.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo? Share your experiences!