“Same HEI experience as always” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Chesterfield, Michigan
“Same HEI experience as always”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The hotel was clean. The staff was friendly. The breakfast was good (didn't seem like a lot of choices) Rooms were clean no issues except tub had a few chips in it, No whirl pool, but has a nice pool area. Exercise area looked clean and saw people using equipment.

Room Tip: Ask for upper level. A little noisey on first floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
It means so much to us that you took the time to comment on the consistency of our Brand! A huge thank you from the staff in Kalamazoo! We work very hard to ensure all of our guest have the same experience at every Holiday Inn Express and your review reassures us that we are doing our part!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Probably one of the nicest places we've stayed in this area in the last couple of years. Clean rooms, comfy beds, bathroom spacious and well appointed. Very quiet- as I was afraid there might be some road noise but it was very, very peaceful. And the rates were good also (we had checked around). Not familiar with restaurants here so we asked the front desk lady, and she sent us to a great steak restaurant. I felt like we were on vacation here - everyone was so nice and accommodating. Everytime we walked by the front desk, they acknowledged us and asked how our stay was - and seemed genuine about it. And (my big pet peeve) they got our wake up call done correctly - twice. Yea! If travels take us back to Kalamazoo, I'll be staying here. Thanks!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
I want to thank you for going out of your way to review our hotel. All of your feedback is greatly appreciated and has put a smile on all of our faces. We know you have many choices for a place to stay when visiting Kalamazoo and thank you for choosing us! We look forward to accommodating you in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

After the second night at the hotel I awoke with what appreared to be bug bites on my mid section and back. I mentioned it to my wife and she immediately said that she had killed a large bug crawling on her forehead in the night that she had saved on a towel she used to wipe it off with. She proceeded to show me the bug and it looked VERY similar to a bed bug. We took photos of the bug and bites and then proceeded to the front desk. Upon arrival I informed the front desk manager that we had a bug from our bed in room 216, which my wife brought still on the towel, and I raised my shirtI showing the bites on my lower left back. The front desk manager collected the bug and I photographed it next to a magnetic room key to represent scale. Initialy, the front desk manager, Angel, stated that she needed to contact her manager. She had one of the cleaning crew personnel look at the bug. They were all very quick to state that no one could be sure it was a bed bug. Clearly they had been coached previously to deny any possibility of infestations. Angel asked that we return after she had an opportunity to speak to her General Manager. My wife and I returned to the room to pack out and do a little closer inspection of the bed. I found what appeared to be two additional bugs, smaller than the first, attached to the matress cover pad on my side of the bed. I collected these in a cup to take back to the front desk manager. After completing the pack out we returned to the front desk. I presented the additional bugs to the front desk manager. The front desk manager, Angel, was appolgetic and stated that the room would be closed for inspection and possible treatment. I told her that the hotel should inform the guests of the large wedding party we were staying with because of risk to familes and small children. The hotel was accomodating to my wife and I and Angel was professional. Angel stated that someone from management would call us when they (upper management) had a positive identity on what the bugs were. Unless the bugs are sent to a specialists I am unsure how this can be confirmed professionaly and that does not ease my mind as to the bites and possible illnesses or infections they may cause. I would not recommend this hotel for a stay and it is unlikely that my wife and I will stay at a Holiday Inn Express again. I am also not convinced that other guests have/had been informed.

• Stayed September 2012
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay with us. We take pride in providing exceptional service and comfortable accommodations to all of our guests, and I apologize that your stay fell short of those expectations. As part of our commitment to provide our guests with a clean and safe hotel room, not only did we compensate you for the situation by taking care of your two night stay but we also have several safeguards in place to prevent insects from assailing our guests. The entire hotel, including guest rooms, lobby, breakfast area, and back of house receives routine preventative measures by a professional pest control company. Additionally, we have in place a comprehensive training program to teach all of our housekeeping staff how to spot the signs of insect presence in any of our rooms. Upon receipt of your complaint, we immediately shut down your room for further inspection by a licensed pest control professional. Most reports of bed bug infestations, while well-intentioned, do not yield any signs of an actual infestation. Per our policy, we shut down your room for percautionary treatment. We also had the canine unit come in and inspect the rooms adjacent to your room, both above and below your room as well as spot checked multiple other rooms throughout the hotel. The canine inspection did not find any signs of bed bug infestation, and we will gladly share this report with you or anyone if requested.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience you suffered during your stay due to this incident and because of our sincere commitment to the Hospitality Promise, we took care of the charges for the two nights you stayed with us. Thank you for your feedback. It is appreciated.
Dana Point, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

She was very kind and helpful from the beginning. We later had a problem with the sheets needing to be changed. I called the front desk and explained my situation to Angie and not 5 minutes later she was at the door with ALL fresh linens for the bed. She had that bed made in 5 minutes, even to my Mothers satisfaction. She smiled all the way through the process and is a GREAT asset to your staff. Kudos to you for having such a fine young woman to work for you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you very much for expressing your thoughts on TripAdvisor. I have shared this review with staff and have made sure the employee mentioned has received praise for a job well done! Thanks once again and we look forward to accommodating you and your mother for any future stays to Kalamazoo.
Metamora, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Néeded a place to stay off interstate and a room was available. We stay approximately at 6 hotels a year and this was probably the most unkept hotel, at least in the rooms. Dirty light switch, hair dryer, shower head, needs to be dusted, and saw mattresses are dirty when checking for bugs. No bugs - so we stayed. I cleaned the shower and light switches.

• Stayed August 2012
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. We take great pride in making sure our hotel is clean, comfortable and that our guests can relax as well as be themselves and feel at home. Your feedback has been shared with the Executive housekeepers and the issues will be taken care of immediately! Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide this constructive criticism and we hope to accommodate you and share our improvements with you in the future.
Hartland, Wi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Lucked out in finding a room here during a very busy weekend in town, every hotel was completely booked for miles due to the Great Lakes Invitational Lacrosse tourney. A change visit to trip advisor two days prior to leaving scored us a room here, so happy as the alternative was less than ideal... Hotel was clean and comfortable, with a great breakfast buffet, pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, along with cereal, toast, bagels, yogurt and fruit. Front desk staff were very accommodating in providing directions, super fast check in/out. Would definitely recommend and stay here again if ever in town again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Many thanks for sharing your experience at the Holiday Inn Express of Kalamazoo on TripAdvisor! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to accommodating you for any future trips you may make to the area!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed at this property, and would recommend it. The staff was very nice, and our room was clean and comfortable. It was very quiet, and we got a good night's sleep. We missed the breakfast, but imagine it was good for a free breakfast, as H.I. Expresses always are. We would definitely stay here again if we find ourselves in Kalamazoo.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
On behalf of all staff at the Holiday Inn Express of Kalamazoo, thank you! We appreciate the kind feedback and love reading posts like this one. It is positive reinforcement for the staff to keep doing what they do best, and that is provide above and beyond customer service. Come visit us again soon!