“If you like lumpy beds and highway car noise this place is for you” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo

You added Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3630 East Cork Street, Kalamazoo, MI 49001   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
“If you like lumpy beds and highway car noise this place is for you”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

Service was excellent and rooms were clean. Issues were the beds were very lumpy and the hotel was next to the highway. I was here on cinco de mayo for a bowling tournament and I didn't get much sleep. If you want sleep lay on the floor with earplugs because it's loud and the beds are terrible

• Stayed May 2012
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. As you have already stated, this hotel is located next to the highway. However, we do have half of our rooms with windows facing our parking lot which is much less noisy. We understand how you feel about your recent stay and would kindly like to suggest that a request for a quiet room be made for any future visits. This will ensure that the front desk is able to place you in a more accommodating location in the hotel. We also have looked into your feedback about the beds and are considering upgrading our mattresses. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Every piece of feedback is taken to heart and helps us improve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Ortonville, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Upon entering, the hotel had automatic sliding doors, thank you. I take this for granted until I mistakenly stay at a place with regular doors that slam on your luggage as you try to quickly scoot out the door. All of the staff I encountered were friendly and professional. The hotel was very clean as was my room too. There was a pool, but I didn't use. The fitness room was good, consisting of 2 treadmills, bike, weight machine, tv, towels, and water. I had a room with a king bed which was very comfortable and had five pillows labeled with varying degrees of firmness. Bonus** there were two available outlets next to the bed for charging my phone and tablet. The complimentary breakfast consisted of almost everything: warm cinnamon rolls, pancakes, bacon, eggs, biscuits, gravy, cereals (hot and cold), breads, juices, and coffee. There may have been more offerings, too many to name. I was very pleased. A USA Today newspaper under your door in the morning. I would definitely stay here again when I return on business.

The only drawback at this hotel is that it backs up to the highway, just like all the other hotels nearby. The even numbered rooms are on the highway side, next time I would choose an odd numbered room to see if that could cut down on the constant highway sounds.

Room Tip: Ask for an odd numbered room, which will place you the furthest away from the constant drone of high...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. Getting great feedback from our guests helps in so many ways. I am very glad to hear that the staff made a nice impression. They all sincerely care about our guests and it is comments like this that make it all worth while and rewarding. I am also pleased that you enjoyed the pleantiful breakfast and for sharing your opinions here on TripAdvisor.

As always, we look forward to accommodating you in the future!
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

The hotel staff is great! Very efficient and friendly. The hotel is nicely maintained and the Internet is super! I had seven wireless Internet options from which to choose. All of them showed a reasonable signal on my iPad! I have never had that before. The room was very clean. Breakfast was up to HI Express standards. The server was excellent. In fact, every employee was helpful and nice. Four pillows per bed; I like that!

There are some things that need attention. Easy fixes. Two of the towels were ripped along the edge. This may sound minor, but it is annoying. The facial tissue was so cheap that it tore as we pulled it out of the dispenser! That may save the hotel $.25 a box, but each customer waste about half of the tissues because of how fragile they are. The two ply toilet paper is another false economy. It was impossible to keep the two plies together. It was more like two rolls of one-ply toilet paper on the same roll.

Overall an excellent value for the price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express of Kalamazoo! I greatly appreciate the constructive feedback and will be making steps towards efficiently taking care of the suggestions provided.

We look forward to accommodating you in the future!
Jackson, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

this was my 2nd stay. what brought me back was the front staff desk person jennifer !! the 2nd time was the front staff desk person abby !! karissa you have 2 very good representatives of your Holiday Inn :) these ladies especially will bring me back many more times with their customer service skills and the rest of the staffs attention to detail of both cleanliness and breakfast !

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
jean m,

Thank you for the great feedback! We look forward to accommodating you in the future.
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

The internet at this place rocks! I was able to get download speeds of up to 1MB/s, just like I get at home! Truly outstanding. Anywho, the rest of the place was great, room was clean and comfortable. The only reason I did not give this 5 stars is because the bed was lumpy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Thank you for contributing your opinion about the Holiday Inn Express & Suites of Kalamazoo on TripAdvisor. We are very proud of our internet connection. In order to provide the best connection for every guest, we have 6 different access points through out our building. One access point on each end of the hall on each floor. You dont find that in a lot of hotels! This is definitely a plus for business travelers needing to do work or leisure travelers looking to download games/videos.

Come back and use our complimentary blazing fast wireless internet anytime!

We look forward to accommodating you in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I live in Chicago and travel to Michigan to see my dad who has cancer. It is imperative to have a comfortable place to stay, especially since I hate not being in my own bed probably more than the average person. Let me name the perfect things at this hotel: the staff, the room, the cleanliness, the smoke-free status, the mattress, the pillows, the coffee, the internet connection, the flat screen t.v., the ironing board and iron, the swimming pool, the fitness room, and even the breakfast! All for 99.99 on a last minute check-in, can't beat that. Small things that were also good: the smell of the soap and the way the room was very darkened by the curtains at night for good sleeping. The only bad thing was my own lack of forethought: the sun shining directly into my room early in the morning when I didn't go to sleep until 2 a.m. Note to self: room on the other side of the hotel next time. There is a little sound from the expressway if you are sensitive to that but it didn't bother me at all. Let me say again that the staff were super friendly and attentive. Thanks for a great stay and I will be back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to boast about us on TripAdvisor! I sincerely appreciate the time you spent reviewing the hotel and all the kind comments you shared. The outlook you had on your stay is exactly what we pride ourselves in.

I understand there are a lot of other choices for accommodation in Kalamazoo and especially appreciate that you chose us. I am forwarding on this wonderful review to the staff. This way they know how great of a job they are doing and to keep up the heartwarming hospitality.
Peoria, Illinois, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

As with other hotels in the HI Express chain, this hotel is not fancy but was very clean and comfortable. The front desk staff was very friendly. There was plenty of the breakfast foods and it was very good. The internet worked well and the location is perfect for those passing through - right off of the highway.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
KBaker041484, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Thank you for the kind review. We pride ourselves in treating every guest like family by greeting them with a warm smile as soon as they arrive to making sure everything is perfect during their stay and wishing them a fond fairwell upon their departure.

We look forward to accommodating you in the future!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo? Share your experiences!