“Good choice!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Kalamazoo
Evergreen Park, Illinois
“Good choice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed for one night in a king bedroom. We came to Kalamazoo for Bell's Brewery's Eccentric Day. The hotel location was very quiet and there were plenty of fast food options (Taco Bell, Burger King, Denny's, etc.) for anyone with a need for a quick snack or meal. Bell's was within a reasonable distance with only a couple of turns.

The hotel was very clean and the eating area was a good size with a warm and welcoming fireplace. Our room was spacious and clean and the beds were very comfortable with the pillows being some of the very best I have ever slept on! The only complaint I have is that the lighting in the bathroom is SO DIM. I am a female who wears make-up and likes to do her hair and the lighting was just awful in the bathroom. The shower had very good pressure and the room was nice and warm for our chilly December night.

The breakfast was included and it was the typical free breakfast fare. Nothing stood out here, not even the well publicized cinnamon rolls. I think I would stick to the cold options and enjoy a bagel or toast with my cereal or oatmeal. That's usually enough to make it to lunch anyway.

Overall I would saty at this hotel again when I am in the area for an event and I would recommend it to just about anyone.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
KBaker041484, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
First of all, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to write this lovely review. Secondly, I would like to let you know that you are not the only guest that has mentioned the bathroom light is too dim and we have taken that to heart. As part of our Property Improvement Plan we are replacing the wallpaper and light fixtures in every guest bathroom. We have 4 rooms complete as of this week and the new lighting combined with the lighter wallpaper is a HUGE improvement. I am excited for when you return so you can experience the new lighting in person! We look forward to your next visit with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
tawas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

book this hotel because it was on our route to my sister's place. The price was reasonable. The staff from the front desk to the breakfast ladies were friendly and helpful. Gave us a complimentary 2 bottled water and snack. The room was clean and neat. Had a comfortable night sleep from a long day's travel. Will definitely stay in this hotel again. Keep up the excellent work.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
KBaker041484, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, December 4, 2011
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express of Kalamazoo as your place to rest while traveling. We appreciate your heart warming review and are very pleased that you took the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. The staff here are extremely motivated to provide memorable stays for all of our guest and look forward to accommodating you and your family in the future.
Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

We chose the Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Kalamazoo not only because of their reasonable rates, but because of the stay we had last summer at a Holiday Inn Express in Wausau, Wisconsin. It seems apparent that the company is intent on providing a clean room, great amenities, and an excellent breakfast at every one of their facilities, and we hope to check out more of them in the future. A great stay at to different locations seems to support this theory. Our only problem was with the heating system, but by leaving the fan on continuously, we were able to get the room down to a comfortable temperature. We were given the option of relocating, but we wanted to stay on the first floor, and the problem was not too big of a deal. The office staff was friendly and well trained, and the morning breakfast buffet exceeds expectations for a hotel at this price. Wish the pool area had a whirlpool, not sure why you'd build an aquatic area and NOT have one, but that was minor. Worst part about the weekend was having to go home:-)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
KBaker041484, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Thank you very much for your pleasant review. At the Holiday Inn Express of Kalamazoo we strive to go above and beyod our guest expectations in order to create a memorable experience that will enspire you to tell everyone! We appreciate the time you took to express your feelings here on tripadvisor and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Kalamazoo!
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011 via mobile

Only complaint is the noise of the highway. It is right outside the window. Otherwise mo complaints. Clean with great staff!

• Stayed November 2011
KBaker041484, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Thank you very much for choosing Holiday Inn Express as your hotel of choice while in Kalamazoo! I have shared this review with the entire staff. We all appreciate your kind remarks in regards to your recent stay with us and look forward to seeing you in the future!
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for one night. It was nice and clean and the staff was friendly at check in and out. The breakfast was basic and they use styrofoam plates and cups which I don't find very environmentally friendly but overall a pleasant experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
KBaker041484, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
I would like to thank you for your kind review. I hope you will return to the Holiday Inn Express of Kalamazoo for any future visits to this area.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

A lot of renovation is going on, but we were completely undisturbed. The staff was great, and the room was clean. The breakfast was standard but satisfying. No problems at all. And the best part: one of the top 10 donut places in the country is right down the street! What more could anyone ask?

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Yes there were a lot of renovations going on at the time of your stay. I am very pleased to hear you had no disruptions. The renovations are now complete and I hope you will stay with us the next time you are in town and can check out the finished product!
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

I decided to book their jacuzzi suite as it was only $20 more for a night and those tubs are always nice after a day of driving. I was in room 329, which was a corner room with lots of extra space. There was the tub near to the king size bed, a tv with a dvd/vcr, two windows, a little kitchenette and a nice size bathroom. Oh there was also a small table with two chairs. The tub was situated in a corner with mirrors on both walls, but not exactly at the tub level but higher than that. So if you were standing up you would see your face and torso. I don't get the point and then at night the light coming in through the windows was reflected back by those mirrors. The curtains were the general curtains almost every hotel room has that never quite seem to close. I ended up using a hair clip on each to block as much light as I could. The hotel is next to the freeway so the light coming in the room wasn't parking lights but from billboards!. Once I got that taken care of I still had to deal with the light from the door. Instead of coming in through just the bottom of the door, it was coming in from the side! In fact the door didn't completely shut on it's own most of the time. It's almost like it was a bit too small for the frame.

Once I got used to the light in the room the bed did prove to be very good for a HI Express and many other hotels. The pillows were average sadly. I did not even look at the pool so I can't comment on that. The lobby was nice and the breakfast area was nicely decorated and fairly large. Even on the weekends breakfast is from 6am-9:30am but I got there at 9:28 and there was still food out and it didn't appear anyone was rushing people to finish. Though when I checked out around 10, it was all cleaned up.

The elevator is rather small, which isn't a huge deal except they are renovating the stairs and hallways this week. One other small complaint was the air hadn't been turned on in my room before I checked in and as we've had a warm summer, it was quite warm in the room. Warmer than the 75-80 degrees it was outside. It took approx. 3 hours before I would have considered it cold, though with half an hour it had gotten better.

Even with the small issues I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Kalamazoo? Share your experiences!