“Thrill Seeking!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Thrill Seeking!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was visiting a friend and he suggested we meet at the beer exchange. It was quite an enjoyable experience! We drank great beer, had fun catching up, and shared some delicious food. Seeing the beer prices change and waiting for a market crash keeps you on your toes (and keeps you drinking beer). I would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting Kalamazoo, especially the beer lovers!

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Racine, Wisconsin
“Good Choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Using gasbuddy.com brought us into the city of K'zoo from I-94. So while there we decided to stop for lunch. Try the Pulled Pork Sloppy Joe - amazing - and don't miss getting the homemade chips! But forget ordering the Veggie - it should be deleted - remarkably disappointing. The waiter was very friendly and chatty - we discussed his college classes & he gave some sage advice to my college-bound son. Loved the warehouse district and the great architecutal details in the building. A definite "return-to place".

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Michigan
“Beer is great, and so is the food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Came here based on prior TA reviews and I was not disappointed. When entering the venue is split into 2 levels, the upper area has tables for dining while the lower level is more of a pub setup with a couple of pool tables, electronic darts and such. Both levels have full bars. We arrived on a Friday night about 8PM and were informed that the wait for a table was about an hour. No worries as we took one of the alert buzzers and went to the bar.

Ends up there were a couple of seats open at the bar upstairs so we had a seat. As told in other posts, there are flat-screen TVs throughout the place with the beer ticker, prices adjusting every 15 minutes. There are placards on the tables with additional information on each of the draft beers, including type, alcohol percentage and where brewed. Most of the beers are made in Michigan. There is also a placard listing several (30?) bottled beers from Michigan. The bartenders were quite knowledgeable about the beers they served and were able to cross reference potential selections based on what types of beer I preferred. The only improvement I would like to see is a listing of the IBU as well as the ABV, as I feel that makes it easier for a patron to make choices. A note on the beer ticker, we were able to experience a "crash", where almost all the beers were available for $3 or less. Note this only holds for 5 minutes versus the normal 15, and they only allowed us to order one each.

In regards to the food, while we were waiting for a table we decided to try an app, selected the bar chips, appeared to be thin sliced potato pieces (deep fried?) served with a french onion type dip. Good choice as it was quite flavorful. Our call for the table was about 45 minutes after we arrived, went there and told them we had decided to stay at the bar, as we had struck up some chat with others there, some of who come frequently. The menu had plenty of selections, maybe 6-8 salads, 12-14 sandwich/wrap/burger choices and another 10-12 entree type meals. I chose the Piedmont burger, cooked medium. Served with bar chips as default, real fresh cut fries for a dollar more. Burger was excellent, cooked to my satisfaction. My criteria of a good burger is that I first try it w/o condiments, only the meat and the but. This one passed the test with flying colors.

My colleague tried the mac and cheese, advertised as being made with 4 cheeses. Looked to be prepared in a pan and then maybe flash baked. I was able to try a sample and it was certainly very flavorful, I would highly recommend it. Meals were delivered in maybe 15 minutes.

Some logistical items that I would offer:
I saw a post talking about it being a family restaurant. Maybe in the daytime, but I wouldn't suggest it for dinner, my $0.02, YMMV.
18 year olds are allowed in the venue until 9PM, then only over 21. Under 21 not allowed to sit at the bar.
Bartenders are allowed to do shots purchased by the patrons, they notify their supervisor when doing so.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
CRYSTAL LAKE
“Fun Family Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

First time to the Beer Exchange was a good experience. It was a Sat. afternoon and it was extremely busy but well worth the wait. Prices for food are good and it's good tasting. The bell at 6:00 is fun and their choices of beer are excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. We will definitely go again.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
SeaTac, Washington
“Look and wait”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This place can either be pricy or cheap. The prices change every 15 minutes depending on the market. It's a great environment to grab a beer and hangout. The food is on the more expensive side for a bar and there is not alot of room inside, but its a place to go for a great environment and to have fun.

• Visited August 2012