“Nice extended stay hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 31 hotels in Kalamazoo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice extended stay hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Equipped with a kitchenette featuring fridge, dishwasher, cooktop, and pots/pans/utensils. Room also had a DVD player and a library of DVD's you could check out at the front desk. Very clean and exceptionally helpful staff. Free laundry and internet. The only problem was that the hot water in the shower was more lukewarm than hot at times.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Debbie M, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We strive to make every stay a memorable one for our guests. We apolgoize for your shower experience and have since taken steps to address this issue. We are pleased to say that our guests are now all experiencing a pleasantly hot shower experience. We welcome you back soon!

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We came into town with the Midwestern Synchronized Ice Skating Competiton. We had three teams of skaters and parents. The bad was when we arrived we had to wait a long time to check in. It was11:30pm and they were short rooms due to a snowstorm and allowing guests to stay when they knew they had about 80 families arriving. It took about 20 minutes per guest to check in and they were switching rooms and asking for people to room togeather. My room was switched from two doubles to a King. But, it happened to be fine for me. By the time I got into my room it was almost 12:30am and the girls needed to be up at 5am for ice practice. Later I came to find out that the General Manager was the one checking us all in. She never told us that and didn't offer us any discount to our room rates for the hassle. Also, some rooms were charged to other credit cards when they checked out. Also, sent a family to a room that had a guest in it already. On to the good...My room... What a pleasant surprize it was spotless. Very Clean. I was really dreading it because I wondered how clean could a room be with full fridge, sink,etc. But, I was shocked how clean it was. The bed was soft. The pillows great. I was very happy. The only thing is our bathtub drained really slow so when you showered it was up to my ankles. The young lady Odessa was very sweet in the morning and she did anything she could to help. Supplied towels with no problem. My daughter became ill late on Saturday night and was in need of some meds from a 24 hr Pharmacy at Walgreens. The woman who worked the front desk was wonderful (wished I had gotten her name too) she helped me figure out which walgreens was near and she even called to see if they were open. I was going to take a taxi but Michael who was just getting off shift offered to drive me. I was floored. That was SO kind seeing since it was so late at night 11:30pm and it was snowing hard and very icy. He said it would be faster then the taxi so I could get back and give my daughter her meds and get to bed. He was so pleasant and nice and he took me and brought me back. I told him I think he should be the gm of the hotel as he went way above and beyond to help a mom out in the middle of the night in the middle of the town where I had no clue where anything was. I will never forget his kindness and someday I too will pay it forward. Thank you Michael! ps our girls won our divsion and we are off to Nationals. :) So in ending...Candlewood has a great staff and nice rooms. i would stay again. However, I believe the GM could learn from her staff on how to treat her guests.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your constructive feedback. We are very happy that you overall enjoyed your stay. We do profusely apologize for having to make some unexpected adjustments in some of the room types for a few in your group. Due to a severe snowstorm we, as most of the area hotels, were in an unexpected oversold situation. We do again apologize for the inconvenience and wish to assure you that we did our utmost to make everyone happy and content in a comfortable, warm suite. I do apologize if you feel your experience was less than pleasurable, as it was our genuine desire to make the unexpected occasion proceed as smoothly as possible. In fact, it was my desire to personally facilitate your smooth check in by staying at the hotel to personally welcome you. Recognizing that you would be coming in at midnight, it was my goal to be there personally to welcome you. Again, I extend my apologies if my presence there was mistaken in some way. I really would love to invite you and your group to return to our hotel under more favorable weather cirumstances and enjoy the hospitality we pride ourselves on. Thank you for staying and we hope to see you again in the future.

Rochester, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

From the minute we walked in, till the second we left, we had a great stay. The hotel was spotless and clean. Rooms had everything we needed to cook our dinner. (basics). The only complaint we had was the internet kept logging us out. Otherwise everything was perfect. Everyone we came in contact with was very friendly and helpful with directions and places to eat.

The hotel itself was about 5 miles from downtown. Right off the freeway.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Well ..... you will be happy to know that from the moment you stepped in till the moment you stepped out ..... we were honored to have you with us! It's a pleasure having a guest stay with you; but it is even more of an honor to know that they want to return! Many thanks for your kind comments.

General Mahone
Whitelaw, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

When coming to Kalamazoo, we really like staying at The Candlewood Suites. My grandson calls it our Kalamazoo home. The staff do everything to make it feel just like home. The property is spotless, the kitchens clean and well equipped, rooms spacious, comfy beds and pillows. Even thought they don't have a swimming pool, I still gave it a 5, I knew that before booking, so I don't think it is fair to mark down on something I know before hand. Will stay again when we are back in town!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
The true spirit of hospitality is making guests feel like they are at home. So your grandson's got it right! Please let him know that our door is open all the time for him, and that his Candlewood family is here waiting for him to return home!

Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Really enjoyed the nearly 3 months I stayed at the Candlewood in Kalamazoo. All of the staff very nice, polite, and very accomidating to all of my request. The rooms were clean, up to date and well taken care of.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
When you are away from home, the last thing you need is stress. We are happy that we helped remove the stress from your life! Please visit us again on your next trip to Kalamazoo.

Madison, Alabama, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Not a big thing, but the night I got there (Sunday), I was going to do some cooking and noticed that there was no frying pan. I stay at Candelwood's regularly, so I know what it supposed to be there. I called the front desk that night and the very polite female who answered offered to find one that night. I told her not to hurry, tomorrow would be fine. Next day, no pan. Tuesday, no pan, called front desk again. Wednesday, no pan, called again. Thursday, the pan was waiting when I got in from work.
A more disconcerting problem concerned maintenance. My first night I also noticed that the 3-latch lock on the door was only engaging one catch. I gave it several increasingly strong slams trying to get it to latch, but it would not. I also reportted this when I called about the frying pan. Returning the next night (Monday), I used the key card and tried to turn the door handle, but it wouldn't budge. My first thought was that the repair had gone poorly and now the lockset was jammed. I tried it again, and using a great deal of weight, was able to force the handle to open. Apparently, whoever got the call to fix this lockset thought that slamming the hell out of it was the cure. I didn't report this while there. Anybody that ignorant, who has access to my room when I'm away, I didn't want to give a reason to sabotage my room or my things. Maybe just a coincidence, but I got a wake-up call at 4:45 the next morning that I didn't request. I didn't have to be up until 6:00 that day.

Room Tip: Front desk personnel are very good. Communication with other hotel divisions may need work. Took 4 d...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Rick C,

Thank you for your detailed review regarding your experience. I truly appreciate your feedback regarding our helpful front desk staff as we pride our selves on excellent customer service. However, we deeply apologize if some aspects of our hotel did not meet your expectations on this day. I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced with the unacceptable customer service and maintenance services. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Thank you again for your review. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to ask the Manager on Duty.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed here a while back I just hadn't been able to do this review, but I can say that the people are Great! Always there very helpful. The managers reception is always great! Beds are the best that I have slept on very comfortable. I would come back next time I am in Kalamazoo. I love the location its away from the noise of the city, but safe.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Debbie M, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay, as well as our weekly Manager's Reception. On behalf of our entire Candlewood team, we Thank You!

Debbie Mahone

Been to Candlewood Suites Kalamazoo? Share your experiences!