“Graduation Weekend” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Kalamazoo
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Elgin IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stay here when visiting my student at WMU. Five minutes straight down stadium to the school. Good location for reaching downtown K-Zoo easily. Immaculate hotel. Super comfortable beds. QUIET. Only request - please turn up the heat in the pool. The water is cold!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

StevenHatto, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear MamaStewie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review and comment on our property. We are very happy to hear that you have enjoyed being our guest. The hotel is very close to WMU, and we hope to see you again when visiting your student. We try to keep our pool water at a constant temperature of 85 degrees year round, and I have just cranked it up a little per your request. Next time you are coming to town to visit please feel free to contact me directly, I would love to thank you in person for your comments and continued business, and also make sure the water temperature is too your liking prior to your arrival.

Don't forget about our WMU Visitors Discounts!

Thanks Again,

In Yo Head
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

On a cold rainy night in april, driving with one headlight in the black, i pulled into kalamazoo at midnight and made my way to my safe haven for the night. Check in was quick and easy but as i stood in the elevator i became worried. It seems to be stabbing a small child as it moves from floor to floor. Luckily my party survived and we strolled down the hallway to our room.

Idk what the others say, but my room was a King bed with Jacuzzi. HINT: Jacuzzi may seem broken but you just need to push insanely hard and hold for a few to get it to turn on.
The room looked just like the professional pictures in the ads. The room was clean, smelled good, and bed was soft.

$25 pet fee per stay
You wont find a better value Jacuzzi room anywhere close.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
StevenHatto, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Hi Ben,

Thank you so much for your comments and kind review! We appreciate your business and feedback, and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am happy that you found your Jacuzzi Suite clean and comfortable, and we hope to see you again in the future.

Best Regards,

Kalamazoo, Michigan, Usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Only one person at the front desk during peak check in time. No one monitoring the pool area or replacing towels. To top it off having to wait for two hours for maintenance to break into my room because the lock didn't work.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

StevenHatto, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear StevenC,

Thank you for your time and leaving your comments on our property, we appreciate all feedback from our guests. I would like to apologize for the malfunction of your room lock, and traffic in the pool area. We do not have a lifeguard or pool attendant on duty, and typically try to refill the pool towels on a regular basis, and apologize that this was not the case during your stay.

Once again thank you for your comments and your business, please accept my apologies on behalf of the entire staff.

Take Care,

Steve.
Michigan, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was very underimpressed by this hotel. Considering it's only a few years old, it seems like the elevator should have been in better working order. Everytime we rode it, it not only took FOREVER to get up to our floor (seriously, it was much much faster to take the stairs!), but with all the groaning and creaking we wondered if we were taking our lives in our hands. Upon entering our room, we were quite disappointed in the finishings. The size of the room was decent enough, but it seemed very "blah" for a "plus" hotel. We got a jazuzzi room, and the tub was very small and kind of gross looking, with spots of mildew around the jets. When we did decide to brave it and take a soak, we couldn't start the jets. We called the front desk and the lady came up to start it for us and told us she was sorry it didn't work very well, then proceeded to start it for us. This involved her pushing it in at a very specific angle with all of her strength before the jets finally started up. The finishings reminded me of some of the crappier motels we stayed at when we were younger and had no money. The breakfast buffet was pretty standard I suppose, but nothing impressive there either. The nicest thing about this hotel was the lobby area, where there was a nice tv and fireplace. Everything else was kind of disappointing. After having stayed at other best westerns, this one certainly did not maintain the same level of value.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jenison, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We came to this Best Western for a single night in order to swim and then visit the Air Zoo the next day. We weren't expecting the Taj Mahal but we were disappointed none-the-less. It looks as if they are trying hard to keep the hotel looking modern with up-dated looking furnishings and carpet but it's very hard to disguise the old "bones" with only surface treatments. First the pros - the room was very large and could actually handle our family with 4 kids. It was the perfect setup for us. Now the cons - The rusty door frames, grunge in the bathroom corners, holes in the sheets, chips in the glass toiletries dish, broken and loose tiles and dust everywhere really brought the whole place down. I also noticed dried drips on the doors in our room and the walls in the stairwells. It doesn't look as though the rooms (or the hallways) get a real deep cleaning very often. When I looked under the furniture to make sure no stray items were getting left behind I was really grossed out by the dust, crumbs and other junk (pen tops, bits of plastic etc). We could hear the guests above us walking around in their room very clearly. They were not running or stomping - just walking. The pool area was really gross. The ceiling was literally peeling apart and there was a large piece of plywood to cover-up a hole. The plywood was moldy and looked as if it had been there a long time. I cringed when I walked on the floor barefoot and tried not to look in the corners so that my reaction wouldn't spoil the kids' trip (I am not a squeamish person - I've spent a lot of time in locker rooms and pool areas in my life). On top of all that there was a group of very loud, obnoxious kids that took over the pool and made it hard to swim in the shallow end with my 2 year old. Unfortunately, the hotel can't control the personalities of their guests so that really isn't their fault. But it just made the experience that much worse. Also, there was so much chlorine in the water that my eyes burned just being in the pool area. My husband went down to the breakfast area in the morning and came back disgusted. He said the guests were acting like cattle to the trough trying to get their free breakfast - elbowing their way in to get what they wanted. He stayed long enough to get some coffee and juice and we headed out to a local place for a decent hot breakfast. I guess this hotel served it's purpose but I if I make plans to come back to the area I will look elsewhere for my hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel, we appreciate your comments in our effort to continuously improve. I am glad that you found the size of the room and accommodations comfortable for your family during your travels. I would like to personally apologize that you found the cleanliness of the room lacking, and for the behavior of our other guests. We do appreciate your business and comments and will be looking in to how to correct these issues immediately.

Best Regards,

Steven

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites? Share your experiences!