“Just Ok” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Saline, MI
“Just Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We went here for a college visit and stayed one night. Room was huge. Bright lights outside the windows, shades wouldn't shut completely. Cleanliness of hotel was ok. Vacuming needed in elevator and closet in our room. Had a dog above us, could hear him running around and the walking upstairs ALOT. Thankfully, not late at night. Kitchen in room was nice. I don't know if it was the power of suggestion from another review, but I was a little bed bug paranoid. Lock/Key Card was finicky. Staff helpful. Breakfast adequate. Conveniently located. Pool looked nice, but chlorine smell in lobby was very over powering. Overall...just ok.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
StevenHatto, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Hello!

Thanks for taking the time to review our property, we appreciate your comments. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suites, we are happy you found them comfortable. I appreciate your positive comments on the helpfulness of the hotel staff, and the selection at the complimentary breakfast. I apologize that the pet above you caused a little disturbance. We are a pet friendly hotel, but if you prefer to be on a pet free floor, or on the top level so that no other guests are above you, please let us know and we will be happy to accommodate the request during your next stay.

Thanks again!

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Wyandotte, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Room was huge! Staff pleasant and accommodating. My room was a suite which is nice on a business trip. Comfortable mattress and clean sheets. Took a while to get hot water to my room. The PC in the lobby with the printer was nice since I needed to print some documents for work.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
StevenHatto, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hi Denise,

Thank you for your comments, we really appreciate your feedback. We are happy to offer some of the largest rooms in our area, and are glad to hear that you found the space comfortable. I am glad you were able to make use of the business center, if you return this will always be available 24-hours per day.

Thanks again, we hope to see you again!
Detroit, Michigan, Usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We take a yearly trip to visit family and have stayed at this property a few times. Over the past few years, there has been a gradual downgrade in its quality. The rooms are OK, but getting a little worn. The staff will help if you ask, but don't go out of their way to be helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for taking your time to review our property. We appreciate your continued business over the past few years, and hope you keep coming back. We are in the process of making some improvements and upgrades to our guest rooms, and I hope that you notice this upon your next visit. We will continue to work on training the staff to serve your needs, and appreciate your comments. If I can be of any assistance with future reservations, or you would like to elaborate on your comments, please feel free to contact me directly.

Thanks again,

Steven Hatto
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was here with a group for 3 nights. The check in staff was extremely friendly and polite. The room itself was adequate but we were one of the lucky ones. The suites varied dramatically in size and layout and we all reserved the same type of rooms. Some had dividing walls, some had stove tops, etc. The 'business center' computers worked well and were hooked up to a free printer, which was a nice touch. It snowed the entire weekend we were there and the staff did a good job keeping shoveling and plowing. And most importantly, we were not the Best Western that was all over the news the weekend we were there because of a police shooting that took place in the lobby.

Here are the problems the members of my parties experienced:

1. Many of us experienced the water coming out of the faucets BROWN at first.
2. One family found a BED BUG ! To give the hotel credit they moved them immediately and were extremely responsive and took the matter seriously.
3. My room was only 'semi-made' up one day. It was strange- as if the staff left in the middle. One bed was made. New towels in the bathroom - but other towels but the other bed was not made up at all and the shower wasn't cleaned.
4. One family had their lock DIE as they were checking out. The manager on site had to call someone off site to let them in their room. Many of us had keys that were finicky in their locks.
5. Breakfast was just so so- without a lot of options.
6. Elevator was extremely slow.
7. Free Wi-Fi was intermittent and slow.

Even though its not a suite hotel I would recommend the Holiday Inn next door. Apparently Best Westerns are independently owned and operated. You can tell this is not franchise run and I will keep this in mind the next time I am looking for somewhere to stay.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here check for bed bugs, ask for a room away from the elevator, and be aware tha...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time you leave your feedback on our property, we appreciate your comments and suggestions for improvement. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and for telling us the comments that your other members in your group offered. Any complaints regarding bugs in the room, we take very seriously and with high importance, I am glad to hear that your friends concerns we addressed immediately. We have never had a problem with pest in our guest rooms, but we will always call in professionals to inspect upon any guest request.

If you ever require additional housekeeping please do not hesitate to let the front desk staff know, and we will be happy to accommodate any requests. Although Best Western hotels are all independently owned, this is common with all hotel brands, and we are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate your feedback.

I can also assure you that our area of Kalamazoo and hotel are very safe, and any disturbances at other hotels in different areas of town are not common in our neighborhood.

Thank you again for your business and time,

Steven Hatto
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed here with a big group of friends, i am well into my 20's, but when my friends, Girlfriend's, friend, i know a mouth full, but none the less was turning 21, we had to party in a hotel, because many of us were an hour or more away and we wanted to stay safe. We had rooms across from each other and i found the suits we stayed in a great value for the price. The breakfast was not bad, they did have some hot items, but no a buffet by any means. I would stay here again, and i have stayed here before this date. They even gave me a late check out. The only thing that i was not happy about was when i checked out and the lady behind the desk was short informing me of the check out time. I told her i had a late check out and she looked at the paperwork and notice that i did, so all was ok, but she was rude, but one person should not take down everything else.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for taking the time to review the property and leave your comments. We appreciate your business in the past, and hope to see you again in the future. We are always happy to offer a little later check-out if needed, just let us know. I hope that you enjoyed your most recent visit, and your friend had a great birthday.

Thanks again,

Steven.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites? Share your experiences!