“Okay stay” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Downers Grove
“Okay stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The room was big and clean but the pool and hot tub were dirty. We were visiting our daughter at K-Zoo for the weekend. The location is about a 10 min. drive away, not too bad. When we checked in, nobody was at the front desk and waited for about 10 minutes until someone finally came to the desk. Other people were waiting behind me. I was not aware that breakfast was included, what a treat. There were many options: bagels, cereal, muffins, waffles, bacon, eggs, etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
StevenHatto, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thanks for your comments,

We appreciate you taking your time to let us know what you liked about our property, as well as where we can improve. I would like to apologize on behalf of the staff for your wait at check-in. Although we do have 24 hour staff at the hotel front desk, unfortunately they do get called away from the desk at times, but I understand your frustration in waiting. I wanted to also let you know that during the month of December, we cleaned, repaired, resurfaced, and pained our pool and hot tub, and I am sure you would be happy with the results. I am glad to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by the complimentary breakfast, which is offered free of charge every day of the year.

We would love to see you again during your next stay in Kalamazoo, please feel free to contact me directly if you are in need of any assistance in making reservations.

Regards,

Steven

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Warren, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I spend a lot of nights in hotels every year. It is always a pleasure to find one that I think of as "home". The building itself is set in a nice, quiet, woodsy area

This is a first class hotel set in a nice, quiet, woodsy area From the pleasant desk staff to the comfort of the rooms, it is a nicely run and maintained place. I have stayed in several different style rooms (king suite w/jacuzzi, king suite, and queen w/jacuzzi) and each one was clean, cozy and comfy.

Breakfast in the morning is served in their common area. The usual hotel breakfast fare, but well done.

For the business traveler, their free wifi is fast and very solid.

Like I said, this is one of my favorite places anywhere to stay. This would be a place I would choose for business or a getaway.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
StevenHatto, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you very much for choosing the BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites! We truly appreciate your kind comments, and continued business during your travels to the area. Thank you for your comments on the cleanliness of the rooms, we understand how important it is to receive a comfortable and clean room while away from home. I am also glad to hear that the internet has worked out well for you. Today's traveler needs to have quality internet connections at all times, and we will continue to offer the fastest speeds offered by our provider.

Thanks you again for your business,

The entire BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites Staff.
Caro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I spent the weekend here while in town visiting friends and I'd have no problem staying here again when in the area. Actually, I realized while talking to the front desk staff while checking out that this wasn't our first stay either as it used to be a Hawthorne Suites and we had stayed here for a youth hockey tournament many years ago. Anyway, this review is about this visit.

Check in and check out were very fast with none of the billing issues others have experienced.
Our room (210) had a king size bed with a whirlpool tub and we got it for less than $90 per night after our AAA discount . We found the room very clean and well appointed. The bed was comfortable but the pillows a little hard for our taste. The view out the window was of an exterior wall but for the value we got I could live with it. The hot water was plentiful and consistant but do be warned to watch small children because it was very hot when not blended. Some minor wear and tear issues were noticed if I looked hard for them. Most were in the bathroom area and most could be solved with a higher volume exhaust fan and some paint. Again, cleanliness was not a problem and I really liked the bathroom floor tile work.

The pool area was small but nice and quiet when I used it. Would like to see the pool hours expanded a bit. Arriving after 9:00pm and the pool closing at 10:00 was disappointing after several hours on the road. Breakfast was tasty for hotel food with a good variety.

The location was very convienent for getting on or off 131 or getting around the K-zoo area. There are several restaurants within 2-3 miles on Stadium Dr. The area around this property was also very quiet and felt safe.

Overall, I was very happy with our "bang for the buck" and I have no problem recommending this a good place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
StevenHatto, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate your comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and hope that you found the renovations and upgrades from the previous hotel pleasant. I am happy the location was convenient for your travels and we look forward to seeing you again in the future. We will always have a clean, comfortable room, at a reasonable price waiting for you, and will make sure you always receive the most "Bang for your Buck."

Thank you again for your business.

The entire BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites Staff
Valparaiso, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Check your credit card or debit card carefully. This hotel has a reputation for overcharging. I stayed there September 13-16th and I provided a $50.00 gift card at check in. They billed my credit card for the full amount of my room and they did not credit me for the gift card. Called hotel. Manager Steve was to call me back. No reply. Our friends that stayed with us the same weekend, their debit card was charged at the time of reservation and again when they arrived. I made one reservation and they had me down for two. I showed my confirmation form and they then decided that perhaps they could have made the mistake somehow. Our friends were told they made one reservation on the hotel website and another on expedia.

When I complained about the cleanliness of the hotel, I was informed that they only do deep cleaning once every four months and they have had a busy season so they have not gotten around to it. Cob webs hanging from the ceiling and drapes in the dining room. Out of eight rooms, three complained of drains that would not drain.

They do allow dogs in this hotel, but they cannot do anything about a resident that leaves their dog in the room and barks constantly until the owner returns. Dogs are usually on first floor, so request a 3rd or 4th floor room.

The only elevator is very S L O W and makes a groaning noise every trip. Hotel staff just laughs when you question them about it.

Their common response is "I'm sorry you feel that way." Well I am sorry you overcharged me and you just lost 8 bookings for next year. Management does not care enough to return a phone call.

Room Tip: Any room ending in 08 is the broom closet. This room is next to the elevator and you loose the amou...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your response, I am sorry to hear about the confusion and lack of proper communication you experienced on your bill. I can assure you that billing accuracy is very important for the hotel and our guests, and that we rarely experience billing issues and do not have a reputation for overcharging.

I was able to confirm that the $50.00 gift card was applied to your stay. For all guests checking in at the hotel, there is an authorization automatically processed for the entire estimated charges of the stay to the credit card given for the reservation. The credit was applied for the gift card and taken off of the total bill, and the remaining balance was charged to the credit card on file and the balance of $50.00 was applied back to the card. Any adjustments to initial authorizations on room charges take 3-5 business days to process due to bank procedures, and I apologize for you having to wait to receive this credit.

I wanted to let you know that we have also recently had the elevator serviced and appreciate your comments. Although the manufacture cannot increase the speed past safety limits, they were able to decrease the operating sound of the elevator with additional lubrication and service. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We hope to see you again in the future, and appreciate you taking the time to leave a review of the property.

The entire BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites Staff.
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We were on our way from Wisconsin Dells to Toronto. We arrived without a reservation. Very friendly front desk got us a great room at a good rate. $109.99 taxes in.
Room was very large two queen beds, fridge and wet bar. Beds were very comfortable.
Pool area needed some loving, but we wouldn't let that stop is from staying here again.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your kind comments on your Great stay. We are glad to hear that you found the staff accommodating, and the rooms comfortable. I hope that you enjoyed your trip to Toronto, and we see you again on your next stop in Kalamazoo.

Thanks again for your business.

The entire BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites Staff
Dublin, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I had good memories of staying at this hotel two times last year, so I didn't hesitate to book it again this time. It turns out my memory was only slightly off. Our biggest disappointment was the light (or lack thereof). It was VERY dark in the room. We could've used at least two more lamps, but we didn't make a federal case out of it. We just took the lamp shades off the lamps that WERE available and that gave us a little more light. The second issue was that I could swear I booked a room with a queen-size bed, and the bed we got was definitely only a full-size. But again, to us, it wasn't worth complaining about. I will use this hotel again the next time I'm in Kalamazoo.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on our hotel, we appreciate your comments.

We are glad to hear that you have stayed at our hotel several times, and have enjoyed your experiences. All of the rooms at our hotel offer Queen or King Size beds in the room, and we do not have anything smaller, so I am confused about your comments on the Full Size bed. Next time you are traveling to Kalamazoo please call and ask for me directly so we can look into this better. I will also be happy to give you a complimentary upgrade to a King Size Suite for your next stay.

Thanks again for taking the time to leave a review, and your continued business and loyalty to our hotel.

Steven
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed here enroute to Chicago. The rooms are nice and big for two adults and two young kids. Free breakfast is more generous than most, but not gourmet. WiFi is free and overall, the hotel is fairly good (however it was built only a few years ago). Two gripes: the pool and hot tub could have been a little cleaner and our room sheets had dried blood (or red nail polish) on them. The location is very quiet despite the fact that it’s near a freeway.

Room Tip: Check those sheets.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Kalamazoo Suites? Share your experiences!