“Victorian Look with 21st Century Amenities” 5 of 5 stars

Trivadvisor 10% Exclusive
Ranked #1 of 5 Kalamazoo B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Gurnee, Illinois
“Victorian Look with 21st Century Amenities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Where to start? Where to end? Hosts Laurel and Terry do everything they possibly could to make your stay pleasant and memorable. Afternoon tea. A cookie in the evening. Chocolates by the bed. Flowers inside and out. Details everywhere: woodwork, furniture, draperies - they just don't end. But this is no creaky old house. It has been rebuilt bottom to top so that all floors and steps (there are many of these - perforce) are absolutely solid, the air conditioning is perfectly regulated and totally soundless (when it was 97°F outside!) the plumbing sparkling new and quiet as well. The linens must have astronomical thread count. The beds have antique-looking headboards, but the springs are new and luxurious. I could go on for pages, but I hope you get the picture. Our one night stay ended with a cozy breakfast cooked by Terry and served by Laurel. My hobby is gardening and Laurel is a Master Gardener, which shows in her ability to grow begonias (and many other types) in the prolonged excessive heat we have experienced. We look forward to return in nicer weather so that we can go to another of the great restaurants a short walk away.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
InnloverMichigan, Owner at Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
It really was HOT when you were here, wasn't it? And I'm so glad you can report that our A/C is up to the task. The gardener in me takes pride that you enjoyed our flower beds even though this has been a challenging summer. We are so happy to learn that our house was the perfect place for you and that you enjoyed the mix of Victorian elegance and modern amenities that we strive to provide. Thank you for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I were on our way to Chicago and decided to stop half way. We found the Kalamazoo House via TripAdvisor and were very impressed with the reviews and decided to give it a chance. We have never stayed in a B&B before and we were very very happy with the choice we made! Laurel and Terry were so welcoming and friendly, it felt like a home, rather than a place to sleep. After checking in and getting a wonderful tour, we took a short trip to the downtown area and had some dinner. Upon our return, we were delighted to find a plate of chocolate chip cookies with our name on it! :) Even though the house was almost fully booked, it was very quiet and peaceful. The room we had was beautiful, the bed was very comfortable and the whirlpool tub was a relaxing treat after a long drive from Canada.

My only reserve was the limited parking, but was not entirely a major issue. The wifi was very good, the bathroom was clean and cozy, the property was very well maintained. There was a large selection of DVD's to watch on our flat screen tv and tea and pop were available at no charge! The breakfast was wonderful and the fresh fruit was a yummy start! Thanks again to Terry and Laurel, when travelling through Kalamazoo, we look forward to staying here again and again!!

Don't miss out on the unique and perfect B&B experience! We are glad we didn't!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
InnloverMichigan, Owner at Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for your review! We are always delighted to introduce new people to the "better way to stay" in B&B's. Glad you enjoyed your room, your dinner downtown, the breakfast -- and of course the cookies. It's nice, too, to know that our small parking lot along with the other spaces right across the street allayed your fears about downtown parking. We'll look forward to seeing you again as you come through Kalamazoo.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We just made our second visit to this lovely B&B and it won’t be our last. Laurel and Terry’s attention to detail will make you feel like one of their family. From the late night choc chip cookies to Terry’s custom made to order breakfast served at your table, the service is impeccable. I’m thinking of applying next year for an internship where I’ll agree to work for extra helpings of the spicy corned beef hash. Don’t miss this gem of Kalamazoo.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Tom, we loved having you and Lynn back every bit as much. Thank you for the kind words. And THANK YOU for the delicious home-made salsa you brought this trip, it was incredible on my chorizo and eggs this morning! And I'm going to take you up on that intern idea...you'd better schedule time off now!
Bloomfield Hills, MIchigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

My hubby and I stayed here for a quick weekend getaway from the Detroit area. We loved the home and its hosts! Our room was the former Master Bedroom and it is very spacious with a huge bathroom. Bedding was very comfortable. Our only complaint was that the shower pressure was very low but this was at least partially compensated for by the huge, 2 person jacuzzi. Breakfast cooked by Terry is a knockout and the breakfast room is just lovely. Right next door to the Kalamazoo art museum (we came to see a special exhibit there). Only a few blocks from town. All guests rooms are up one flight of stairs so disabled guests please take note.

Room Tip: Old master bedroom is great!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences with future guests! We are delighted that you enjoyed our luxurious Room #4, our location downtown, and your breakfast. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the art exhibit right next door, too. Thank you also for bringing to my attention that the water pressure seemed low in your shower....it's helpful feedback and it will help us make sure everyone's experience here is top-notch. We hope to welcome you back again someday!
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

When I first moved to Kalamazoo three years ago, I stayed at The Kalamazoo House for a couple of weeks while I searched for an apartment. Terry and Laurel were wonderful hosts and always made me feel like I was at home. Not only do I have every visitor stay with them, but I loved it so much that I had my bridal party and I stay at the B&B when I got married a few weeks ago. The made-to-order breakfasts are outstanding (I'd definitely recommend the banana nut french toast!), and the chocolate chip cookies are my absolute favorite (warm and gooey every night!). Plus, the house is located just a few short blocks away from all of the restaurants and bars in downtown Kalamazoo. Excellent service, excellent location, excellent food and excellent rooms!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
So nice to see this kind review, Amy, thank you! You know we loved it when you stayed with us when you moved, and it's great to see you when you have relatives stay with us, too. And the ultimate compliment was to have you booked your wedding party in with us---you and your friends were a delight. Thanks for sharing such kind compliments.
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

We had a short visit to Kalamazoo on our train trip and wanted a B&B near the train station. The Kalamazoo House is about 1/2 mile from the station and is an easy, flat walk. The house is a beautiful mansion that has been well maintained. Lauren and Terry offered wine/beer and cheese in a social hour before dinner and milk and cookies for a bedtime snack. The delicious breakfast was made to order from a selection of six entree items.

The B&B is convenient to the downtown restaurants and museums. We wished that we had planned a longer stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you! We agree that it's a blessing to be such a short walk from the Amtrak station as well as all the good restaurants and fun nightspots downtown. We'll be glad to welcome you back, and next time, as you say, you can stay longer. No car needed!
Shrivenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I were travelling to Chicago and needed a place to stay on route. I could not have chosen better. The hospitality we received was top notch. Our room was beautiful, the bed was very comfortable and the little vase of fresh flowers were a lovely touch. The house is a skip away from a number of restaurants and the town centre makes for such a lovely walk. We got to select our breakfast from a list of options, all of which sounded delicious. We were not disappointed, both our choices were really excellent and we loved that we could sit at our own table and plan the rest of our trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you, runnarunna. We appreciate you taking the time to tell future guests what it's like to stay here, and we're glad our place turned out to be a good location for you on your way to Chicago. I'm especially glad that you enjoyed the flowers from our garden, and our separate tables at breakfast. Perhaps we'll have the good fortune to have you stop in again.

Been to Kalamazoo House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!