“Great family experience .” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #91 of 147 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: American
michigan
“Great family experience .”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

My family and I visited recently and our whole experience was delight ful. Our waiter was a nice man named Ralph. He was a nice young man and very informative on the menu. He suggested we start with the Baked Blue Crab and Brie. Excellent choice we ate the whole thing. For dinner we had the Amberjack special, Glazed Salmon, 10oz New York Strip, and the Grilled Steak Salad. All of our meals exceeded our expectations. Compliments to the chef. They also offered us an array of baked homemade pies but we sadly had to pass on we were well satisfied by this time. I have just moved here and I will definately bring my family back. Thank you Ralph and Hard Knock for this fabulous evening with my family.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Jackson, Michigan
“we wanted to like it... but we just can't”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

We gave the Hard Knock Grill a few chances to get it right, but it just hasn't happened and we won't be back. Service is consistently awkward and downright bad. During one of our visits our waitress brought out our drinks (for me & my husband and another couple we were dining with) one at a time and served the boys their beers before she brought the iced tea and water for us girls and then brought us complementary bread for table (which is delicious) without benefit of silverware, napkins or any sort of plates to allow us to actually eat the bread. Even with a good server (which we had one time, when it opened, when someone in our party knew the owner's son) the time for getting food to our table was excessive, the food in general is very average to bad, and servings sizes for some sides seem a little small. The interior decor is beautiful and the bar and stage is fun. The regular bands at the restaurant is mostly what they have going for them and that's not enough to make me go back.

Grass Lake, Michigan
“It really felt hard knock too”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Walked in this evening very hopeful after seeing some interesting dining choices were offered from their commercial. We were seated quickly, drink orders taken. But it was 1/2 later before someone took our order. Then again we waited, although the cheerful apology from our waitress helped soothe us. The coleslaw was excellent--fresh made and tender. My husband enjoyed the fish sandwich, but remarked it was nothing special. I had the prime-rib panini--which was terrible: powder dry & overdone slices of what was once a nice piece of beef, and served missing the pesto sauce the menu promised. I didn't ask about it because the staff had already apologized and forgotten us more than twice by then. The manager stopped by our table and seemed more concerned that my sandwich was on the wrong bread then the fact the meat was almost inedible. Clearly the staff was short and overwhelmed. Learned later the manager had sent staff home expecting a slow night. Oh yes, not inexpensive either--which would have been ok had we experienced the meal we were hoping for.

• Visited December 2011