“Bull Moose Lodge was "just right"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ski Brule Resort

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Iron River
Ski Brule Resort
You added Ski Brule Resort to your Saves list
397 Brule Mountain Rd, Iron River, MI 49935   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Iron River
Green Bay, WI
“Bull Moose Lodge was "just right"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Just back from a lovely 3 night stay at Bull Moose lodge. We were three small families, ten people total, and at maximum comfort capacity. It worked just fine for us, especially given that we were on a budget. The kitchen was fairly well equiped and we prepared all our own meals. The resort is extremely family friendly, and the staff were all very well trained and extremely friendly and accomodating. We felt very well cared for. I recommend this resort without reservation. Our children (ages 4-6) all participated in Ski-Wee and they had a blast; the tubing was terrific also. Our only disappointment was the lack of snow on the xc ski trails. And, the beds/mattresses could have been a bit nicer, although they weren't too bad.

Room Tip: We can only vouch for Bull Moose lodge, which is a short distance from the base of the mountain. The...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Mattawan, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

In Iron River, MI for a family reunion, we found that Ski Brule offered cabins etc. that could be rented by the day vs most summer rentals in the area that were rented by the week. We settled on a "condo" unit that had 3 bdrms and 2 baths. The living room/kitchen area (microwave, coffee maker, stove, and fridge) were rather nice, but the bedrooms had no windows and being below grade in a very, hot summer were musty/mold-like with no way to ventilate (although fans and 1 dehumidifier provided {filled up very 2 hrs}). These units are mainly used for winter ski stays and this would be nice for that - no air-conditioning. However, in the summer it was an unhealthy place to be, due to the mold. The only windows that opened were in the hot tub room, the living room casements were stripped so the cranks wouldn't open and the windows also appeared to be painted shut. All the bedrooms (2/queen beds, 1 w/bunk beds) were on one side and both baths were on the other. One was a full bath with shower, the other a 1/2 bath with a totally separate shower room. There was also a separate sauna room. We didn't try the hot tunb or sauna as it was 90+ degrees out and we needed no more heat. Unloading is in front of the unit but parking is across the street. There is a nice deck and gas grill available for guests to use. Beware - that even though units rated pet-free, they do allow dogs in some so that cannot be counted on. Guest relations people were very friendly overall. Ten years ago this may have been a nice place. This unit needs a lot of updating and maintenence however, the ski lodge itself was nicely maintained and had nice ammentities (ski shop, snack bar, fireplace and lounge).

Room Tip: The chalets were nice and could be considered for summer stays. Rated very reasonable especially i...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Iron River hotels

Cape Coral, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I was excited at first to stay here, made my reservation in October 2011 for a 2bedroom 2bath shal-lay with a fireplace and private Jacuzzi. On Jan 1, 2012 they called me to let me know they moved me to a 1 bedroom 1 bath that slept 4, i have 5 in my party, they couldn't upgrade me because of a group coming in. They could give me a suite that slept 5, but that's not what i rented and we where to fly out on the 10 of January 2012. I asked the gentleman if there was another resort near by since they weren't working with me and he recommended Lac O' Season. Forget Ski Brule, Lac O' Season was awesome and the place to be only 5min from the ski resort, indoor pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna, Ms Pacman and other arcade games, Ice cream, washer and dryer if needed. Randy the owner was super nice and the staff was super friendly. We will defiantly be back next year and staying at Lac O' Season. Thank you Randy and Team

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

We stayed at the Alpine Ranch cabin at Brule, because we were allowed to bring our dog. It is a simple manufactured home, not as cute as most of the cabins around it, but it worked out great for us. The house has three bedrooms and two full baths. It's comfortable, not luxurious, but it worked out perfectly for us. The attached garage has been turned into a game room complete with hot tub, and there is a covered grilling area behind the house. The kitchen is well-stocked, and the bathrooms were loaded with towels (I hate it when rentals are stingy in those areas!)
The house was very clean, and since we crated our dog while we were skiing, we did get daily housekeeping (not always provided if you bring your dog). While there was no doggy smell in the house, I noticed that when I laid my black coat on the sofa it came back up covered with dog hair. Our dog is a non-shedding poodle, and the wrong color, so I know it wasn't our dog! It was no problem for us, but anyone allergic to dogs should request a different cabin. Our dog loved going for walks along the road, through the woods, in the area that has not been developed yet.
Check-in and check-out were simple, and the staff people were very friendly. We bought a package that included nightly activities like tubing or a marshmallow roast, and they were a lot of fun. The town of Iron River is just a ten-minute drive away, and has several grocery stores and a variety of restaurants.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

I first found Ski Brule in 1978...boldly took five of my children plus two high school friends to the Upper Peninsula to ski. Five of the group (and I) were brand new to the sport.

Thank goodness Ski Brule was on the list of places we wanted to "check out". Long story short...everyone had such a great time that my husband and I planned a family trip for the next year and, over the years that followed, there were many more...adding new in-laws, cousins (etc.) and, eventually, grandchildren. Everyone loved Brule...even those who had skied the big mountains out west.

Why? So many reasons. Great snow and well groomed trails, of course. Skiing and tubing at first, then well thought out additions of new trails and features that would appeal to snowboarders. Great equipment (if you rent), cozy lodge with food service and ski shop, friendly atmosphere, reliable childcare, fantastic instructors, comfortable accommodations. Ski Brule has it all...something for everyone from the smallest beginners to the "go for it" teen and everyone in between. I might add that the overall costs of staying / skiing at Ski Brule are quite reasonable.

I am posting this review now because one of my adult grandsons has taken up the Ski Brule tradition. Two years in a row he has organized trips for friends to the place where he first learned to ski even though he has skied Colorado and Utah, too. Based on their feedback, he now has a "waiting list" of friends who want to "do Brule", too.

Bottom line...Ski Brule is a gem for families with new skiers, young adults, seniors...a variety of hills for all abilities and a friendly and helpful staff who go out of their way to make sure that a Ski Brule experience is the best it can possibly be. If you are a Midwestern skier within a day's drive of Ski Brule, I wholeheartedly recommend that you see what they have to offer.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Ski Brule Resort? Share your experiences!